criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Outer Rim Update

Prev1345678
edited April 2016
Hi everyone,

With Outer Rim just a short two weeks old, the team here at DICE is extremely happy that many of you are enjoying the new additions to the game like Jabba’s Palace, the new Extraction game mode, and of course our new heroes Nien Nunb and Greedo. We love hearing from you about the fun you’re having in the Outer Rim. However, we’re also hearing from some of you about some issues that are detracting from your experience and we wanted to talk you through our plan to address those here today.

Specifically, some have had to deal with confusing UI feedback like Credits not showing up at the end of a match, Hutt Contract progression freezing or resetting, or – my award for most frustrating – having your Rank seemingly roll back. The good news: the team here has jumped on and fixed all of these issues! Our systems for tracking all of the stats are working properly so what players saw was not stats being lost, mixed up, etc.; but instead the UI was not reading the data correctly at times, which resulted in showing you faulty information. Not to worry, however, as all of your progress and stats are being tracked appropriately on the backend and will update correctly with the fixes.

While we've fixed those big ones, as well as some other bugs or gameplay tweaks you'll see in an early May patch (thanks to you all for providing Sledgehammer feedback, seen here), there are still some that we're working on for future updates. For example, you all have been great at highlighting issues around end of the round crashes when you're near or at Rank 60, as well as hits not registering when dog-fighting in Fighter Squadron. We're currently digging into those to continually improve the in-game experience.

Now that you know what we're doing, I'd like to shed a little bit of light on our patching process so you can better understand how we go about creating patches to fix things or introduce new content. Typically after we get in all of the fixes and content that we want, we start squashing bugs that we, alongside our QA teams, have found. Once we get through as many as we can, we submit our update to our platform partners so they can QA it as well. That process has a set period of time, different per partner, where they need to test things on their own. As mentioned by Sledge, we test these things in closed environments. If we tested these things in the same environment as you, you'd be playing some wonky versions of the game! The problem with testing in our own environment is that some systems behave slightly differently than they do when live and can end up producing different results. Perhaps in live environments it's a data transfer timing issue that gets thrown out of sync or the addition of a layer of handshaking between systems that introduces a potential failure point. I'm sure you've heard similar statements on this topic before - small changes can have significant consequences.

That said, when our content goes live, we have a team that springs into action to start running through the game to make sure it works now that it's out there for everyone to play. Although there are a number of them and they are checking diligently for things that are out of order, they may not always experience the same things that you do. On top of that, since every little thing matters, you all will have different situations than our testers such that we may never experience the issue exactly as you do. When that happens, we quickly source videos, written explanations, or get direct player information so that we can try to replicate that exact scenario, all in an effort to arm our developers with the most information, so they know where to start looking for a fix. The more detailed information you can provide when issues arise, the better on our end as the insights are invaluable for resolution.

Know that we're paying attention to your feedback, questions, and excitement. You're why we do what we do, and we want nothing more than to give you the best experience possible.
I hope that allows you all to see some of what we go through on your behalf every time we get updates out to you. Know that we're paying attention to your feedback, questions, and excitement. You're why we do what we do, and we owe it to you to make sure you have a great experience.

-Paul "TheVestalViking" Keslin
Producer, Star Wars Battlefront
-Paul Keslin, Producer on Battlefront
Post edited by Sledgehammer70 on

Replies

• Anoh
    8379 posts Member
    Finally !
    Editor/Cinematographer - Anoh is pronounced: AhNo.
  • Finally
  • no patch until early May?
  • Anoh
    8379 posts Member
    Thank you for this post :)
    Editor/Cinematographer - Anoh is pronounced: AhNo.
  • swaza79
    778 posts Member
    Thanks!
  • Jaywal
    2856 posts Member
    Thanks for the update! We appreciate your hard work!
    May the force be with you.
  • News on offline multiplayer??!!
  • Is a Battlefront CTE out of question for additional testing? You know, for science o:)
    "My name is ThePronato, if anyone can fix my name, you're the real MVP"
  • News on offline multiplayer??!!

Obviously there is nothing about offline multiplayer in this post, let's keep it relevant to what is contained here
    The greatest moderator that EA has ever had.
  • Joonlar
    1154 posts Member
    no mention of the outer rim playlist
  • Darth_Reaper_77
    57 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Removed- As stated, stay on topic
  • Thanks for the explanation @TheVestalViking. We appreciate your Team's hard work and look forward to the updates.

Let us know if you ever consider utilizing external testers on a "non-live" server. I'm sure you would have hundreds of Pro Bono applicants, myself included.

Best Regards,
    Xbox GT: Rnz Wth Scissrz
    Xbox - GT: Rnz Wth Scissrz // Join us: Old Farts on Facebook // Join us: Old Farts of Star Wars Battlefront on Xbox Clubs
  • Ezio
    974 posts Member
    A lot of this is pretty much how I figured it went. Glad to hear you've got the major bugs fixed and are still working on the rest. It's always nice to get informative posts like these from people who actually know something like Sledge and yourself. Keep up the good work!
  • leftweet
    2216 posts Member
    Thank you so much for the post, Paul. It was for informative! Hope to see more developer posts in the future! :)
    I write things for The Star Wars Game Outpost
  • Aww, c'mon poolshark!
  • Thanks for this. Nothing like getting info from the source. The more transparent you are with us regarding bug fixes, the less **** we get. Acknowledgement of the issues and an approximate time frame for fixing is perfect.
  • Vakyoom
    995 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    I'm thankful for the update. It seems like the patch won't be until may. Some things are way harder than others to patch, for sure so i understand the delay.

If you guys need more bug testers, there are those of us that could help out ya know *wink wink*

;)
    Post edited by Vakyoom on
    Cycler lyfe -- All about that Ishi Tib!
  • Thank you
  • ChadDSolo
    1457 posts Member
    Thanks for the update; anxiously standing by for those offline announcements.
  • ChadDSolo wrote: »
    Thanks for the update; anxiously standing by for those offline announcements.

I second that motion.
  • A bit disappointed to see the mixed playlist not being addressed, guess its vanilla until Bespin...

It was nice to have some things spelled out for those that are incredibly impatient on the forums. The crying and whining about 'where's our update' less than a week after release is beyond ridiculous. Some people should be forced to read that section and check a box before posting threads.

Good update, glad to see a better job of communication. A little goes a long way!
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • News on offline multiplayer??!![/qhere is nothing about offline multiplayer in this post, let's keep it relevant to what is contained here

Clearly not, hence the question.
  • A fix for the invincibility spawn glitch would be nice....
  • Thanks for the update, keep on working hard for the fans!
    Now that the bugs are fixed I may buy the DLC.

I want to keep on topic, but, anything being adjusted for private matches soon?
    #SoloPlayersMatter: Skirmish was officially confirmed as Arcade Join us on Facebook (870+ members) and on Twitter!

• This is a good start on giving us progress updates. Please continue to give us (preferably regular) updates with specificity on what is being addressed. It will be beneficial probably beyond comprehension.
  • leftweet
    2216 posts Member
    CallMeDeee wrote: »
    A fix for the invincibility spawn glitch would be nice....

Lead dev Dennis Brannvall said that fix'll be in the next patch:

I write things for The Star Wars Game Outpost
  • Early May? So, since they always release on a Tuesday, it will either be May 3, or May 10.
    Here's hoping it is May 3.
  • leftweet wrote: »
    CallMeDeee wrote: »
    A fix for the invincibility spawn glitch would be nice....

Lead dev Dennis Brannvall said that fix'll be in the next patch:

Day made....carry on ;)
  • xSha3nx
    340 posts Member
    Wow! Excellent info! Thanks!
  • GRDNANGL172
    5513 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    At least things are going to be worked on. The biggest one for me is the hits not registering air to air. It's really bad, and happens in all modes not just fighter squadron. I am really hoping that gets fixed in the next update. If it's still broken like this after the patch I'm going to have to shelve the game. Right now it's really broken for pilots.

At least we are getting some information. Would be better if these things were hotfixed if it was possible. A month with things like this + the invincibility glitch is a long time to expect people to have fun playing the game with serious gameplay breaking issues like these two.

The hit registering problem air to air was not like this prior to outer rim patch. It should really get fixed in the May update! Leaving that broken for 2 months will be too much for me. Dogfighting is pretty useless when you can't damage anyone in a turn at anything closer than long range.

Because of the outer rim playlist, I unlocked my adrenaline card and never went back. The forcing people into changing modes needs to stop. People just quit anyway. Let us play the mode we want and stay in it.
    Post edited by GRDNANGL172 on
  • Wow! Thank you so much for the communication, insight and explanation.

I will do my best to provide help in a concise manner in the future filing bugs!
  • Ezio
    974 posts Member
    At least things are going to be worked on. The biggest one for me is the hits not registering air to air. It's really bad, and happens in all modes not just fighter squadron. I am really hoping that gets fixed in the next update. If it's still broken like this after the patch I'm going to have to shelve the game. Right now it's really broken for pilots.

At least we are getting some information. Would be better if these things were hotfixed if it was possible. A month with things like this + the invincibility glitch is s long time to play the game with serious gameplay issues.

The hit registering problem air to air was not like this prior to outer rim patch. It should really get fixed in the May update! Leaving that broken for 2 months will be too much for me.

Well, sounds like you might be shelving it, unfortunately. It sounds like they've already got their update packaged up for May and are starting that process that took forever and everybody hated back in January to get things approved. Could be wrong though.
  • GRDNANGL172
    5513 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Not sure. They broke air combat in outer rim update. Not fixing it in the next update will cause me to stop playing the game. It's game breaking for pilots. I'm tired of landing hits on enemies in a turn and watching it bounce off.

I can understand that things happen, and have continued to play with it like this. Seriously affects the fun factor. If it is going to stay broken after the May update that will be past my breaking point. I didn't pay this amount of money to play a game with bugs this bad going on past the update after.

If they break it, they need to fix it on the NEXT update, not 2 months later. That is unacceptable.

At this point I highly doubt I will be purchasing future titles. The pilot community has dealt with imbalanced fighter squadron since release. At least we used to be able to hit what we aimed at. Since outer rim you can circle dogfight with someone in ANY game mode, and not be able to cause any damage with the blasters at all when you get nose on. That is a serious game breaking issue. Another fighter will simply come along and blast you from long range. The problem is even worse in fighter squadron.

How long is the pilot community supposed to put up with being blown off like this? I'm serious.
    Post edited by GRDNANGL172 on
  • This is great. Early May is when I can jump back in again.
  • we’re also hearing from some of you about some issues that are detracting from your experience
    "Detracting" is an understatement.
    The problem with testing in our own environment is that some systems behave slightly differently than they do when live and can end up producing different results. Perhaps in live environments it's a data transfer timing issue that gets thrown out of sync or the addition of a layer of handshaking between systems that introduces a potential failure point. I'm sure you've heard similar statements on this topic before - small changes can have significant consequences.
    Why cant it be tested on a live server before release? Surely you can do it in a way that only you can access the new content so you can test it and not we the players! Its 2016! Seeing that you know that things will behave differently, testing it before release on your own environment gets only half the job done. I find it unacceptable that testing the content on the live servers happens on the day it gets released.
    That said, when our content goes live, we have a team that springs into action to start running through the game to make sure it works now that it's out there for everyone to play. Although there are a number of them and they are checking diligently for things that are out of order, they may not always experience the same things that you do. On top of that, since every little thing matters, you all will have different situations than our testers such that we may never experience the issue exactly as you do. When that happens, we quickly source videos, written explanations, or get direct player information so that we can try to replicate that exact scenario, all in an effort to arm our developers with the most information, so they know where to start looking for a fix. The more detailed information you can provide when issues arise, the better on our end as the insights are invaluable for resolution.
    Like I already said, do it before the players have access to it. I dont care how much wall of text you use to explain the obvious mistakes that are being made.
    Know that we're paying attention to your feedback, questions, and excitement.
    If only I could say the same. Unfortunately, I cant. I dont have to explain that, the forums give enough proof.
    we want nothing more than to give you the best experience possible.
    Yes, thank you for that standard sentence that we hear from every other developer and publisher in the world. Its getting old, and stale. Until now, I couldnt share that sentiment. At all.

You wrote many words, yet no sincere apology for the mess we had to deal with for weeks and weeks. As a paying customer, I find that to be a scandal.

Good day and thanks for playing Battlefront.
    tumblr_nusp5jmZkZ1r4o9xho1_r1_1280.jpg
    "Social justice 1, 2, 3 woo woo! I want to be PC woo woo!"
  • If you read the OP in the voice of Jurassic Park's Mr DNA, you can't help but believe.
  • Mystichrome
    17 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Paul,

Thank you for the insight into what the teams are doing and when we can expect fixes/patches. It isn’t an easy process to code for every conceivable variable given the different platforms, many things work and work well. Thank you to your team for giving us so much fun.

With that said, as an end user who has bought a console to solely play Battlefront, peripheral devices to support my console, and purchased the season pass prior to the game coming out, I have to say I’m disappointed that I’m over $800 into this experience only to have glitches and bugs that deter from the overall experience. Although I admit when the game works it is very enjoyable, however the number of glitches and bugs that are introduced into the production environment do take away from the enjoyment of the game. When one reads all the issues that end users are having (bugs or glitches), one could argue that we (season pass owners) are being used as beta testers. This is not the experience I expect when I’m paying a premium price for what should be a premium product. Let us not forget that there are also end users who don’t look at the EA forums and know that issues are being addressed. There is frustration out there from those of us that feel we just aren’t getting the quality for the price point of this product.

I’m sure all of your teams are working as hard as they can to identify defects, provide fixes, unit test/system test/E2E test/User test and package them into production. I appreciate all their efforts. I do. There are many who still love and enjoy the game and continue to support it, but we would like to see it become a more polished game with fewer issues and more frequent patches to address issues found.

Sincerely,
    MYSTICHROME04
    An EA/DICE Customer
  • BlackgoliathJW
    901 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Thanks for this update. Appreciate your work DICE and I'm really enjoying the game. Looking forward to the future updates. Keep it up.

Once we get through as many as we can, we submit our update to our platform partners so they can QA it as well. That process has a set period of time, different per partner, where they need to test things on their own.

Hmm this must be where the hold up is, and why the updates can only come through every month I suspect?
  • It's posts like this that really help build credibility with your customer base. Thanks for the explanation! Continued communication is very much desired by all of us that love to play Battlefront.
  • Thanks DICE for the update.
  • Any news on the issue that changes gamemode to "heroes and villains" instead of changing only the map in the extraction mode? I'm really annoyed by that.
  • No patch till may and loads upon loads of lies all in one non informative post...
    And outer rim is over two weeks old...
  • Thank you for this. Not only does it help us understand the process Dice and EA use for this game, but it gives an insight into how things are done in the industry for any game. It's one of the reasons I love getting involved in gaming forums and I have learned a lot from other forums from this type of communication. I know a lot of other people appreciate this as well. The most beneficial thing is the more this type of communication is given the more we can teach others in the future when they question things.
    Valid Token Confirmed.

fyq20437essy.png
  • PCPrincipalPC
    1388 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Tacomaster wrote: »
    No patch till may and loads upon loads of lies all in one non informative post...
    And outer rim is over two weeks old...

Actually, its over 3 weeks old. And I agree with you.
    Everyone is like "thanks DICE". For what? For a wall of text that is apologetic but doesnt apologize sincerely for their mistakes? They rather hide behind their developer-jargon so people get distracted and forget to realize that they are testing the game completely wrong.
    You dont release a game to the public that has only been tested in your "own environment"! That officially makes us beta-testers for the live version, he even unwittingly admitted it!
  • Ezio
    974 posts Member
    Anco_1993 wrote: »
    Any news on the issue that changes gamemode to "heroes and villains" instead of changing only the map in the extraction mode? I'm really annoyed by that.

That's not an "issue" or a bug, that is working as intended.
  • I just want to play OR without switching modes, mode shuffle could be an option, but it's annoying and are they never gunna mesh into regular rotation?
  • So, what I'm getting from this is that all the streaks and kills I never got credit for will all magically appear after this fix.
    Sorry for being doubtful but this has been crazy from the beginning. I don't expect more from the team than I've already seen. Very big waste of money for a DLC with so many flaws.
  • This sucks,I'm bored of waiting for this game to be consistently playable. Also this tiny bit of communication from devs may make other people happy but seriously this could have been done after the update along with an apology.
  • I got what I wanted from this. The official confirmation that we are all playing a half-tested beta version. From the developer himself.
  • Thanks for the update !