criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

Maybe I'm getting too old for this generation of games such as Battlefront

2Next

Replies

• ctlesq
    56 posts Member
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    Your not getting to old.
    Your to smart for the scams anymore.
    This video gaming industry has gone down hill.
    Something needs to change.

Yea the younglings don't see it and they can get their parents to buy everything. And the ones addicted can't stop.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

But many of us are waking up and see the strings they are pulling.

Plenty of good videos on YouTube starting to pop up about the video gaming scams.

Most of the big companies do it now.
    If you really want to get your moneys worth in video games, go retro gaming or independent/small companies.

Don't ever pre order anything.

2525499_700b.jpg

HueHue

I don't think it is a scam. New content is able to be added digitally, whereas in the past it was simply one disc and that was the end. Now, this can be monetized - younger gamers who don't make their own money feel squeezed when they have to ask for additional purchases for a game.

I don't know why there is an expectation that the business model for games must remain stagnant. I think your advice for retro gaming is spot on.

If you want to challenge the value of the DLC - I get that, but its subjective and you can still play the game without purchasing the DLC.

I'd suggest you aren't actually advocating for change but for a return to what was - you bought a game and you were done. I think that model is dead.
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    ctlesq wrote: »
    Your not getting to old.

Yea the younglings don't see it and they can get their parents to buy everything. And the ones addicted can't stop.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Plenty of good videos on YouTube starting to pop up about the video gaming scams.

If you really want to get your moneys worth in video games, go retro gaming or independent/small companies.

2525499_700b.jpg

HueHue

I don't think it is a scam. New content is able to be added digitally, whereas in the past it was simply one disc and that was the end. Now, this can be monetized - younger gamers who don't make their own money feel squeezed when they have to ask for additional purchases for a game.

I don't know why there is an expectation that the business model for games must remain stagnant. I think your advice for retro gaming is spot on.

If you want to challenge the value of the DLC - I get that, but its subjective and you can still play the game without purchasing the DLC.

I'd suggest you aren't actually advocating for change but for a return to what was - you bought a game and you were done. I think that model is dead.

Some very good points!

I am advocating for change. I just don't know in what direction. One that involves less money.

I disagree about the old business model.
    I still play all those old games.
    Still play my n64 games.
    Still play the ten year old battlefront.
    Still play my GameCube games.
    Still play skyrim, kotor, old fallouts, etc.

Games now? Server goes down and no more game. Way more dead now than what it was before.

Before you would pay full price and get a full game.
    Now you have to pay full for half the game.

Maybe this game isn't a scam.
    But I still think dlc 1 was. Should have been free.
    (Personal Opinions)
  • Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    ctlesq wrote: »
    Your not getting to old.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

2525499_700b.jpg

HueHue

Some very good points!

I am advocating for change. I just don't know in what direction. One that involves less money.

I disagree about the old business model.
    I still play all those old games.
    Still play my n64 games.
    Still play the ten year old battlefront.
    Still play my GameCube games.
    Still play skyrim, kotor, old fallouts, etc.

Games now? Server goes down and no more game. Way more dead now than what it was before.

Before you would pay full price and get a full game.
    Now you have to pay full for half the game.

Maybe this game isn't a scam.
    But I still think dlc 1 was. Should have been free.
    (Personal Opinions)

Exactly. I haven't been able to play the game for three days because of getting kicked out of matches every time they start due to redline server lag. The game, for me, simply won't play. Did I get my money's worth? You tell me. What if it were you, and how about that season pass? Does the fact that I already paid for another six months of content make a difference if I can't play the game any longer due to technical dufficulties on the developer's end?
  • ctlesq
    56 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    I think understand people's frustration about this. Its more money anyway you cut it. Objectively, as you state games are now viewed as unfinished products buy more later and get more later.

Games are now dependent on servers to allow for these massive player v player matches. I will admit I have been somewhat surprised at different times when there have been issues finding a game. But I think it is somewhat unfair compare a single player game which is self contained on a gaming system to a 40 v 40 online game.

I'd be curious to know what other games you have experienced server issues with.

Now, where I think EA/Dice should be subject to significant criticism is in what was promised - community events, double point weekends, the utter absence of imperial skins etc., that I completely understand.

I don't fault them for not having a single player story mode - I don't ever recall that being promised.

The May the 4th event was an absolute disappointment. So much so that I haven't been able to play the game since. How do you not give 4x the points?! What about a community event or more?

I like this game. I buy a lot of EA. I have been impressed with Dice. But guys, keep your eye on the ball. I feel as though it has been slipping.

• IronKeys
    103 posts Member
    handcuff wrote: »
    IronKeys wrote: »
    It's completely unethical. Paying for extra things should be stuff that isn't necessary, like skins etc.

Otherwise you're essentially charging full-price for a demo, and then full price for the rest of the game. Paying more than the price of two games just for one game.

It's a con to dig money out of rich kids' parents, whilst the poorer kids have to suffer and long for.

Nothing in the paid DLC is necessary, thanks for proving the point against yourself and saving the rest of us the hassle

Weapons, cards, maps. These are all things that should be included in the game you originally paid for.

"hey buy this game, oh and then hey pay double the price so your game is not incomplete".

Perhaps your barbers should start charging you full price for half a haircut, maybe that would help you understand.
  • ctlesq wrote: »

The May the 4th event was an absolute disappointment. So much so that I haven't been able to play the game since. How do you not give 4x the points?! What about a community event or more?

This. 1000 times this. This one thing really speaks volumes. You cater to and to a very large degree rely on the Star Wars fan as your customer base. So on "Star Wars Day" the best you care to do is half-heartedly give out some credits. I mean, you have a built in day to really generate some great PR for your game and the community and then you simply wave as that golden opportunity flies by. I mean, who is in charge of the marketing for this? Even a 1st year college intern can come up with something better than 4444 credits. It's like companies that give out a ham or turkey as a Christmas bonus. "We have to do something, so throw 'em a ham!"
  • ctlesq
    56 posts Member
    handcuff wrote: »
    It's completely unethical. Paying for extra things should be stuff that isn't necessary, like skins etc.

Otherwise you're essentially charging full-price for a demo, and then full price for the rest of the game. Paying more than the price of two games just for one game.

It's a con to dig money out of rich kids' parents, whilst the poorer kids have to suffer and long for.

Nothing in the paid DLC is necessary, thanks for proving the point against yourself and saving the rest of us the hassle

Weapons, cards, maps. These are all things that should be included in the game you originally paid for.

"hey buy this game, oh and then hey pay double the price so your game is not incomplete".

Perhaps your barbers should start charging you full price for half a haircut, maybe that would help you understand.

And you received "Weapons, cards, maps" in the original game. In fact we all got Survivors of Endor for free. I don't think a single new weapon or card that came out later has tilted the balance of the game in favor of DLC purchasers. New maps - ok, you lose the experience of them. If the game came out on a disc then there would be no chance to add new content.

Respectfully, I think it is an overstatement to say you can no longer compete. The haircut example is just not analogous.

• FreeContentNowPls
    1306 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Burgers.jpg

I never believed in this picture until I purchased Star Wars Battlefront. It may not be the case for most other games even though they charge for DLC but at least I get a full game. I find it pretty much very offensive that up to this point everything that has been given to us should have been in the base game at day 1. Everything released so far has been made with preexisting assets already within the game.

Star Wars Battlefront is literally the first game that literally fits this photo. The only difference is the part labeled Gamestop and Best Buy exclusive should be labeled Free content that obviously was made with reused assets and should have been Day One content.

To the OP, this is a sign that you've wised up to the EA's practice of minimum content, maximum profits as I have. Most other people settle for what they got even though if you'd literally look back a year and a half ago, everyone wanted an expansive Star Wars experience with large battles and this is what we got.
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    Amazing^
    Thank you
    +1 Hue