criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Felucia Transmission
No Match for a Good Blaster

So here's my problem with the DLC culture...

Prev134
KicktheNitro
162 posts Member
edited May 2016
I'm usually pretty chilled with my negative feelings on this game, because I still have a lot of fuggin fun playing it okay. But with Bespin on the horizon and my anticipation through the roof (because Bespin is my favourite planet of the OT), and my frustration over the bugs introduced in the latest update, my feelings are pretty at the surface right now.

We all feel the same thing about the season pass of this game, right? It's overpriced, it's unfair to release an incomplete game at launch and force gamers to pay far too much for the rest of it, especially when it seems like the downloadable content is more content than the base game. It's not cool, but yeah yeah, we've all said and heard the same thing on the matter. That's not what I'm here to talk about.

What I am here to talk about is the segregation of gameplay and content that this causes. Prior to Outer Rim being released, I just assumed the new maps would be included in the map rotations of existing gametypes, much like Jakku. Say for instance, if I were in a game of Heroes vs Villains, the matchmaking takes us into the new maps, and simply splits the hairs for the people who do have the Outer Rim expansion installed, whereas gamers who don't are simply returned to the beginning of the map rotation. It made sense to me.

Instead, while the playlist feature is a neat idea on its own, making that the single source of accessibility for the downloadable content is extremely frustrating. And again, we've all expressed our dissatisfaction with that. But my point here is that this is a result of the game being incomplete at launch. Were it released complete (like games used to be before DLC culture became a thing) you'd have all the maps available across their gametypes, fair enough. There'd be no segregation of accessibility, because everyone would have access to it. Instead, people aren't willing to pay this much for this kind of content, which means not everyone is going to have it, which means we're restricted to playing in these separate playlists.

Don't get me wrong, I seriously appreciate the hard work that is going into the creation of this game. I love the heck out of this game, I play it nearly every day, at least for a little bit. Butt, asking people to pay so much money for content that should have been included at launch is severely reducing the number of people who would be willing to pay for extra content. Downloadable content used to just mean 'bonus content'. Not 'the rest of the game'. The free updates with new maps every now and then is a great step in the right direction, but when half the game is paid content, which forces the restriction of accessibility, it makes the game suffer. Something seriously needs to be done on EA/DICE's part to ensure that people are going to want to keep playing the game. Whether it be creating new systems of access for the paid content with the base game, or reducing the price of the paid content, people are going to lose interest in playing this game real quick. And when it's an online exclusive game, that's gunna suck for everybody.

I apologise for the wall of text, but I feel like I'm saying what everyone else also feels, which might garner enough interest for people to actually read it. All I want is less whiny complaining about the game and more broader rallying to ensure that our voices really are heard.

Cheers guys <3

Replies

• Butt

ugly-spongebob-faces-tumblr_m37de5vbod1rqbq8yo1_-pictures-2xeabf0canbsrndvjjboju.png

• Wolffe2100
    2041 posts Member
    Totally agree with you
    Experience outranks everything
  • I agree with this post, I love the game, my only fear is that no one will be playing by early 2017 when the 4th DLC releases and it'll have been a waste of money, something needs to be added to keep players online or instant action to be able to play all of multiplayer offline.
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    I had a snarky comment all ready for you, BUTT dambed if you didn't nail it pretty much all the way around. Well played sir.
    41st Forum Fury Battalion Member
  • Very good post OP. Well said.
  • Clutchman
    323 posts Member
    You're right of course.It will be interesting to see what the attatch rate for the season pass is because if it is very low I guess that could help improve EA's attitude moving forward.I knew the game was a bit light on content on launch(although what was there was enough for me).I do think all the stuff in the season pass is going to be great quality because basically they are still building the game,lol(just a shame I have to pay extra for it).
  • BlackgoliathJW
    901 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Clutchman wrote: »
    You're right of course.It will be interesting to see what the attatch rate for the season pass is because if it is very low I guess that could help improve EA's attitude moving forward.I knew the game was a bit light on content on launch(although what was there was enough for me).I do think all the stuff in the season pass is going to be great quality because basically they are still building the game,lol(just a shame I have to pay extra for it).

Out of my 12 friends I directly know who have battlefront, 3 of us have bought season passes, the others did not and also don't play anymore.

So say for example if 12 million games have been sold, apply the same ratio, 3 million season passes sold at a guess?

So EA managed to sell roughly 12 million half games, and 3 million "complete" games :D :D :D
  • Anoh
    8380 posts Member
    Totally agree with you OP.

Couldn't we at least try Outer Rim (and Bespin soon) with the vanilla mode menu? No mode rotation every game? And see what the results are? Less or more DLC population?

As it is now with the playlist, it couldn't go any lower. I'm 100% positive that the DLC population would double if not triple if we all got to play whatever we want, for as long as we want, with no interruption.
    Editor/Cinematographer - Anoh is pronounced: AhNo.
  • Nice post, I agree. I am proud not to preordered the season pass!
    4oEtTHz.png
  • briandt75 wrote: »
    I had a snarky comment all ready for you, BUTT dambed if you didn't nail it pretty much all the way around. Well played sir.

I aim to please. Everyone likes butts.
  • Strogg1980
    2559 posts Member
    Well put OP....although i dont blame companies like EA or Activision, i blame all of us for it getting to this stage.
    from the very first map pack in COD 2007 to little bonus levels in Force Unleashed, and even add ons in Elder scrolls Oblivion, we can blame the companies and their practices all we want, but we started this DLC culture they just saw how we reacted to dlc and how we ate it up and simply took things from there. Im sure we didnt intend it to get this crazy and we were happy with little leves an add on originally cuz hey, we had 98% of the game to begin with, right?

SWBF imo, is a perfect example of DLC cultures apex, bare minumum, Multiplayer only game with a 160$ price tag.....and of course either us fanatics of SW or the possibly worse Miltiplayer Madness crowd simply eat it up and fees the machine.
  • they saw how we loved the dlc they worked on after the games. thats not the same thing as plan the dlc at the same time they plan the main game!. with oblivion and skyrim, the dlc really were made after the main game had been around and played. with modern games the dlc is planned and worked on at the same time as the game itself, and to the detriment of content of the game.

this is because people continue to buy season passes or deluxe versions at launch. result? half built bugged games and dlc sometimes available on release day and planned releases (with tweaks but no real work done) over a set period. and this is now the industry standard because it earns more money than releasing a full game, well tested for bugs and fixed, on release day and THEN working on the dlc.

EA may be very prolific at it, if not THE most prolific, with special stores for some games just for the unlock code purchases. its even more offensive when you know the content is on the same disc you installed the game with but you need to pay extra to unlock it! but they are not alone at all. until gullible fools stop buying deluxe versions and season passes at launch day and paying for unlockable day 1 weapons, then you are always going to get a game made to the minimum necessary cost to ensure its profitable with too many devs working on the supposedly extra dlc content.

i bought the season pass when outer rim came out. but i am a star wars fan and have been waiting for this game since the old battlefronts, dark forces and xwing tie fighter games. but i wouldnt bother doing it for other games. i will buy the base game only, and if its any good then i will think about paying for any dlc thats out later. until this is the buyer standard approach, with dlc only selling if the base game is not riddled with bugs and lacking content, then we just have to accept this is the model companies will choose. they dont make games for fun they need to make massive profits for shareholders and so the director can get his millions and stock options.
    invalid brain token
  • JoshDamage
    1429 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Initially I thought the price of the season pass was a little high, but I've seen other games charge just about the same. Doom's season pass is $50 too I think. (which I would NEVER purchase lol) I had no issue buying the pass, because I loved this game so much (flaws and all) I knew I would enjoy the extra content. Haven't been disappointed. Can't effin wait for Bespin and Lando. I also did not like the idea of a playlist at first. But now I feel it was the best way to go. I have no problem going back to the main menu to pick the mode I desire. (I was doing it anyway because I only play as the rebels.)
  • i like the game and have fun most of the time and i can accept a playlist forced on me if the alternative is never finding a game at all. it would be nice if they could make up missing player numbers in game modes with bots, then maybe we wouldnt need a playlist. it works ok in fighter squadron - or would if people didnt have to quit when they have to be imperials since ties are out gunned.
    invalid brain token
  • Strogg1980
    2559 posts Member
    they saw how we loved the dlc they worked on after the games. thats not the same thing as plan the dlc at the same time they plan the main game!. with oblivion and skyrim, the dlc really were made after the main game had been around and played. with modern games the dlc is planned and worked on at the same time as the game itself, and to the detriment of content of the game.

Im not talking about Expansions, Obviously stuff like Bloodmoon or Dragon Born are well worth an extra 20$. Im talking about all the mini Add on's like strongholds, lairs, cosmetics for your mounts and that crap people bought into
  • Fair points from all of you. I do agree that our interest in add-on content has helped it get to this stage. I purchased the season pass with the game only because I managed to get the game ridiculously cheap on opening day (standard price was $100 bucks AU, I got it for $64), particularly because I knew the content wouldn't disappoint me. And this was coming hot off the heels of Batman Arkham Knight doing the exact same thing, despite it being around 75% complete at launch, which I was mad about. Bit more content than SWBF's 40%, haha. I just couldn't stop myself.

But again, I do appreciate what we get. The free content like the Jakku, Hoth and Endor maps make the game feel broader than the initial narrow perspective of the Star Wars universe the base game offered. And I very much like what EA have said about the eventual Battlefront sequel supposedly having much more content the next time around.
  • boguczed1
    198 posts Member
    I'm usually pretty chilled with my negative feelings on this game, because I still have a lot of fuggin fun playing it okay. But with Bespin on the horizon and my anticipation through the roof (because Bespin is my favourite planet of the OT), and my frustration over the bugs introduced in the latest update, my feelings are pretty at the surface right now.

We all feel the same thing about the season pass of this game, right? It's overpriced, it's unfair to release an incomplete game at launch and force gamers to pay far too much for the rest of it, especially when it seems like the downloadable content is more content than the base game. It's not cool, but yeah yeah, we've all said and heard the same thing on the matter. That's not what I'm here to talk about.

What I am here to talk about is the segregation of gameplay and content that this causes. Prior to Outer Rim being released, I just assumed the new maps would be included in the map rotations of existing gametypes, much like Jakku. Say for instance, if I were in a game of Heroes vs Villains, the matchmaking takes us into the new maps, and simply splits the hairs for the people who do have the Outer Rim expansion installed, whereas gamers who don't are simply returned to the beginning of the map rotation. It made sense to me.

Instead, while the playlist feature is a neat idea on its own, making that the single source of accessibility for the downloadable content is extremely frustrating. And again, we've all expressed our dissatisfaction with that. But my point here is that this is a result of the game being incomplete at launch. Were it released complete (like games used to be before DLC culture became a thing) you'd have all the maps available across their gametypes, fair enough. There'd be no segregation of accessibility, because everyone would have access to it. Instead, people aren't willing to pay this much for this kind of content, which means not everyone is going to have it, which means we're restricted to playing in these separate playlists.

Don't get me wrong, I seriously appreciate the hard work that is going into the creation of this game. I love the heck out of this game, I play it nearly every day, at least for a little bit. Butt, asking people to pay so much money for content that should have been included at launch is severely reducing the number of people who would be willing to pay for extra content. Downloadable content used to just mean 'bonus content'. Not 'the rest of the game'. The free updates with new maps every now and then is a great step in the right direction, but when half the game is paid content, which forces the restriction of accessibility, it makes the game suffer. Something seriously needs to be done on EA/DICE's part to ensure that people are going to want to keep playing the game. Whether it be creating new systems of access for the paid content with the base game, or reducing the price of the paid content, people are going to lose interest in playing this game real quick. And when it's an online exclusive game, that's gunna suck for everybody.

I apologise for the wall of text, but I feel like I'm saying what everyone else also feels, which might garner enough interest for people to actually read it. All I want is less whiny complaining about the game and more broader rallying to ensure that our voices really are heard.

Cheers guys <3

The main game to blame for massive rise of "DLC culture" I would say is Call of Duty, starting with COD 4. People almost always buy this DLC for 14.99 a pop, then Battlefield followed this trend with I think it was Bad Company 2, though more likely Battlefield 3, as the base game had very few quality maps.

• Lonnisity
    1946 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Clutchman wrote: »

Out of my 12 friends I directly know who have battlefront, 3 of us have bought season passes, the others did not and also don't play anymore.

So say for example if 12 million games have been sold, apply the same ratio, 3 million season passes sold at a guess?

So EA managed to sell roughly 12 million half games, and 3 million "complete" games :D :D :D

Myself and two other friends have this game. None of us have season passes. See how EA DICE likes that ratio haha. Also, out of the three of us, I'm the only one with Xbox Live... So yeah, sucks.
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    What Dice should do is refund all season pass and dlc players money and then release all dlc maps for free in same vanilla mode menu (and keep the dlc playlist for those who want it). Then they should just charge for heroes, cards and modes. Make it just one new season pass for say 40 bucks that adds new content every month. That way there would be no player segregation. What they would also charge the season pass for is instant action sp offline mode on all mp levels. 40 bucks for the new season pass and a refund for the old. Yeah they effed up but they can still play in our favor and win back trust and respect. Their big reason and concern for refunding sp would be fear or dividing player base and being more devoted to releasing what players really want, instant action mode.
  • Massman
    83 posts Member
    Yes the season pass should've been cheaper and only included guns and heroes so the fan base wouldn't be split
  • WodiQuix
    4559 posts Member
    Very well said sir! Couldn't agree more. I had a complaint, BUTT it went out the window after I read your whole post! I hope people will still be playing by 4th DLC in 2017!
  • They could give the DLC away for free. I still wouldn't play it. As long as the new maps are limited to these mixed game mode playlists I'm not interested and if/when they ever do add an option per rolling all new maps into the core game I'll probably have moved on by then anyway truth be told. With every new ridiculous card they add to this game, i.e. Adrenaline Stim, Bacta Bomb, Berserker I'm less inclined to play and it will only get worse as time goes on. This game is becoming far too juvenile for my liking. Offering an in-game wall hack (Scan Pulse) and blaster cannon attachment for your primary (Explosive Shot) clearly aren't juvenile enough for this group of game developers.
  • Jobster
    70 posts Member
    This all goes away if they do this instant action thing. It would be great if you can pick any mode you want to play + any map you want to play & if there are not enough players playing it the remaining gaps are filled by bots. Then any other person who wants to join in just replaced a bot.

If you don't want to play against other people, but just bots to sharpen your skills - just do a private match.

If they do this then I'm sure EA will have a lot more happy customers :-)
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    If they give us a refund and release season pass for 40 bucks with instant action with no forced playlists and all dlc content for free theyll get alot of respect from fans. All they have to do is apologize for making a bad decision with dlc map and player segregation, say fans are more important than money, give all current pass content for free with refund to buyers and charge for instant action mostly. Yeah theyd lose alot of millions of dollars but they are a multi billion dollar corporation and to them it would hardly be a hit. Plus they would become the white knights of gaming oligarchy.
  • If they give us a refund and release season pass for 40 bucks with instant action with no forced playlists and all dlc content for free theyll get alot of respect from fans. All they have to do is apologize for making a bad decision with dlc map and player segregation, say fans are more important than money, give all current pass content for free with refund to buyers and charge for instant action mostly. Yeah theyd lose alot of millions of dollars but they are a multi billion dollar corporation and to them it would hardly be a hit. Plus they would become the white knights of gaming oligarchy.

That would be a perfect scenario in a perfect world.
    If only :/
  • Yeah, would be cool. Its not unheard of either for companies to pay customers back for defect cars or other products. Would EA lose or gain more from this? With the ceo admitting they rushed the game just to milk the TFA hype, would they be losing if they did this? I think it'd be regaining trust and face. Now EA is in a bad spot because of this statement and its not a good thing to be hounded for a move like that.
  • EA needs to seriously work on improving customer satisfaction. And if they did, that would only be a good thing, for everyone

They are releasing all the BF4 dlc's for free which is a nice move. Building hype for BF1 obviously.
  • NickygUrl
    698 posts Member
    Well written. Completely agree
  • Straywalker
    1034 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    If they give us a refund and release season pass for 40 bucks with instant action with no forced playlists and all dlc content for free theyll get alot of respect from fans. All they have to do is apologize for making a bad decision with dlc map and player segregation, say fans are more important than money, give all current pass content for free with refund to buyers and charge for instant action mostly. Yeah theyd lose alot of millions of dollars but they are a multi billion dollar corporation and to them it would hardly be a hit. Plus they would become the white knights of gaming oligarchy.

Good idea!

Losing a few millions of dollars is something all companies should experience, it builds character!

They could also give some EA stocks to the refundees along with giftcards for free Big Mac menues.

Actually, why not give the whole staff an option to work for free or not at all? That way they only had to pay for renting some offices, electricity and maybe computers to programming - if the employees don't bring their own to work, that is. Even better if the employees could work from home, that would also cut costs! I bet those games would be more complete (full stack of content and without any bugs/glitches) having a much shorter development time, while the devs also could take time to sit down and really listen to their customers. I guess such a game would cost less than a chewing gum.

Yes, I really think you are into something big here @TheStalker88 and some of you other commenting.... If there are to be a Nobelprice for bettering the online games, you would most certainly win that in a jiffy.

Warning. This message contains strong sarcasm mixed with daydream material for years to come
    Playstation 4 fun :p Proud member of the 3PO community
  • GRDNANGL172
    5513 posts Member
    Sad part is they would make more money by satisfying the majority of customers Stray. Something they failed to do with this game. That is why we have forced playlist. So keep backing up the horrible customer service from this company which resulted in the forced playlist you hate. A lot of people simply quit playing, and now you're in forced modes. Congratulations!
  • Blastiel
    259 posts Member
    The reason the DLC is like this is because you can't leave money on the table.

EA have opted to create a "have" and "have not" system.

The Have Nots have to decide when having very few people to play with / getting bored of months of stale content warrants buying the Season Pass.
  • Straywalker
    1034 posts Member
    Sad part is they would make more money by satisfying the majority of customers Stray. Something they failed to do with this game. That is why we have forced playlist. So keep backing up the horrible customer service from this company which resulted in the forced playlist you hate. A lot of people simply quit playing, and now you're in forced modes. Congratulations!

Sorry, can`t answer you, I dropped the mike when posting that last comment :smile:
  • Sad part is they would make more money by satisfying the majority of customers Stray. Something they failed to do with this game. That is why we have forced playlist. So keep backing up the horrible customer service from this company which resulted in the forced playlist you hate. A lot of people simply quit playing, and now you're in forced modes. Congratulations!

^^ the truth ^^
  • What happened is that back in the Everquest days, people realized that video games can be a legitimate addiction, and the big companies saw how the best pushers went about their business. Now base games are just the "taste" that gets you addicted, and the dlc is the "fix". Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Lol I just made all that up, but it sounds about right! :smiley:
  • Strogg1980
    2559 posts Member

Good idea!

Losing a few millions of dollars is something all companies should experience, it builds character!

They could also give some EA stocks to the refundees along with giftcards for free Big Mac menues.

Actually, why not give the whole staff an option to work for free or not at all? That way they only had to pay for renting some offices, electricity and maybe computers to programming - if the employees don't bring their own to work, that is. Even better if the employees could work from home, that would also cut costs! I bet those games would be more complete (full stack of content and without any bugs/glitches) having a much shorter development time, while the devs also could take time to sit down and really listen to their customers. I guess such a game would cost less than a chewing gum.

Yes, I really think you are into something big here @TheStalker88 and some of you other commenting.... If there are to be a Nobelprice for bettering the online games, you would most certainly win that in a jiffy.

Warning. This message contains strong sarcasm mixed with daydream material for years to come

God, fan boy level.....its over 9000!!!!!

Never seen someone defend a game so religiously on a forum before, what kind of mind control substance is EA giving you?
  • Lonnisity
    1946 posts Member

Good idea!

Unlike you, I won't jump to conclusions about things I might not know...

But at the same time...

I feel like a lot of what you said in this post, you don't actually have experience or credible knowledge about.

Does it take a lot of time, effort, and resources to make a game? Yes.

Did they have to chop the game up into little chunks and sell them all separately just to make back their investment? I honestly doubt it.
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • Piscettios
    5867 posts Member
    Good post OP. I started here a defender of the game and have slowly slid towards the negative, thanks largley to the horrendous OR dlc and the updates since.

Halo 5's DLC model is easily the best I've seen for a online oriented game. EA would do well to follow it. They can make money off it, community doesn't split.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • handcuff
    923 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Stopped reading at "incomplete game"

You got a complete game. The SCOPE of the game might not have included everything they originally wanted or everything some players would have wanted, but that always happens in software, and make no mistake, games are software. You can't provide everything to everyone otherwise the product never gets released.

Everything they have sold as DLC is ADDITIONAL CONTENT....and 100% optional, you don't lose out on anything the core game delivers by not purchasing it. You don't like having to pay for additional content? Then don't buy it. Simple. Programmers don't work for free, and the best programmers especially don't work for free.

THE MAJORITY OF ADDITIONAL CONTENT THEY HAVE ADDED HAS BEEN FREE. Wow, talk about selective outrage, they are meeting you MORE THAN HALFWAY in the balance between free extras and paid-extras and you are still b***ing....SMH.

Yes there are some bugs, none are GAME-BREAKING...let's define "game-breaking" shall we?
    GAME-BREAKING means THE GAME BREAKS. For example, everytime you pick up a particular token, the game crashes, or the server dumps the entire room, or you get kicked to the lobby. THAT is GAME-BREAKING. I have seen this in other games, the most memorable being a mode in SOCOM2 online where you have to fight to claim a centrally located bomb and plant it at the enemy base....on one particular map anytime you picked up the bomb the entire room got dumped, without fail, every time. See the difference?

The bugs in this game are, at worst, a NUISANCE, they either imbalance gameplay (double heroes in Hero Hunt, or the current failure to assign a hero/villain in HvV) along with a vehicle token here and there that doesn't work, han getting a weird random buff in one specific secenario.....etc etc

None of these are game-breaking. As a result they either get addressed in the following major update (because that is how software development gets managed, keep in mind these people are running a development business, not a catering-to-the-whims-of-irrational-overreactive-whiney-players-the-majority-of-whom-are-never-satisfied business) and if it comes to pass that a fix is too complicated or creates actual gamebreakers and it needs a deeper longer investigation into it, then it gets pushed back.

They have priorities you know, and new content is clearly the priority for EA/DICE.....you should get a taste of the opposite. The MAJORITY of online games out there are not managed nearly as well, if at all.

Some of you act like if EA's director of development doesn't reply to each of your posts , then the entire community is being ignored. It is so absurd. The communication is extremely good considering spending time on the forum doesn't earn a penny of revenue for the company.

Moral of the story....relax, stop being such negative nancies, and enjoy the a very well implemented even if not perfect game that delivers the best OT Stars Wars action, ever, and quit nitpicking and focusing so much of your time on anything you can find wrong. There is no such thing as a bug-free, perfect online game, so get that notion out of your heads and put it to rest.

tumblr_m96yp5cU0H1qicntr.gif
  • Straywalker
    1034 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Strogg1980 wrote: »
    God, fan boy level.....its over 9000!!!!!

Never seen someone defend a game so religiously on a forum before, what kind of mind control substance is EA giving you?

*picking up the mic again*

YES! I just ranked over 9000 and get to buy the smiley face for my Helmetless Trooper... a dream come true... :smiley:

Of course I defend it, it`s frekkin Star Wars!

No substance though, but I am a grownup who understand how economy/development/sales are working together, something that others on this forum never seems to realise - But they probably will after working in a gründer company, trying to develop some products of their own or just start thinking things through.

@handcuff explains it quite well in his post above.
  • GRDNANGL172
    5513 posts Member
    All that needs to be said is if you think the Death Star is "additional content" in a Star Wars game, you may want to reduce consumption of that colorful sugary liquid.
  • handcuff
    923 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    All that needs to be said is if you think the Death Star is "additional content" in a Star Wars game, you may want to reduce consumption of that colorful sugary liquid.

I would normally say, "so go play something else if it so terrible"....but judging by the fact that you have almost 4 THOUSAND posts on this forum, that is clearly an impossibility to you, sad that you will never put that level of effort into something more productive for yourself and enjoy the good things in life....like fun video games during free time. Obviously this game is necessary to fill some other more compelling need for you.
  • GRDNANGL172
    5513 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    And the vast majority of those posts are while I am at work ;). I have been playing other games for weeks. Just staying tuned to see if they fix the game. Not to mention the overwhelming majority of those posts were made when I was still playing and the game wasn't broken...
  • handcuff wrote: »
    Stopped reading at "incomplete game"

You got a complete game. The SCOPE of the game might not have included everything they originally wanted or everything some players would have wanted, but that always happens in software, and make no mistake, games are software. You can't provide everything to everyone otherwise the product never gets released.

Everything they have sold as DLC is ADDITIONAL CONTENT....and 100% optional, you don't lose out on anything the core game delivers by not purchasing it. You don't like having to pay for additional content? Then don't buy it. Simple. Programmers don't work for free, and the best programmers especially don't work for free.

THE MAJORITY OF ADDITIONAL CONTENT THEY HAVE ADDED HAS BEEN FREE. Wow, talk about selective outrage, they are meeting you MORE THAN HALFWAY in the balance between free extras and paid-extras and you are still b***ing....SMH.

Yes there are some bugs, none are GAME-BREAKING...let's define "game-breaking" shall we?
    GAME-BREAKING means THE GAME BREAKS. For example, everytime you pick up a particular token, the game crashes, or the server dumps the entire room, or you get kicked to the lobby. THAT is GAME-BREAKING. I have seen this in other games, the most memorable being a mode in SOCOM2 online where you have to fight to claim a centrally located bomb and plant it at the enemy base....on one particular map anytime you picked up the bomb the entire room got dumped, without fail, every time. See the difference?

The bugs in this game are, at worst, a NUISANCE, they either imbalance gameplay (double heroes in Hero Hunt, or the current failure to assign a hero/villain in HvV) along with a vehicle token here and there that doesn't work, han getting a weird random buff in one specific secenario.....etc etc

None of these are game-breaking. As a result they either get addressed in the following major update (because that is how software development gets managed, keep in mind these people are running a development business, not a catering-to-the-whims-of-irrational-overreactive-whiney-players-the-majority-of-whom-are-never-satisfied business) and if it comes to pass that a fix is too complicated or creates actual gamebreakers and it needs a deeper longer investigation into it, then it gets pushed back.

They have priorities you know, and new content is clearly the priority for EA/DICE.....you should get a taste of the opposite. The MAJORITY of online games out there are not managed nearly as well, if at all.

Some of you act like if EA's director of development doesn't reply to each of your posts , then the entire community is being ignored. It is so absurd. The communication is extremely good considering spending time on the forum doesn't earn a penny of revenue for the company.

Moral of the story....relax, stop being such negative nancies, and enjoy the a very well implemented even if not perfect game that delivers the best OT Stars Wars action, ever, and quit nitpicking and focusing so much of your time on anything you can find wrong. There is no such thing as a bug-free, perfect online game, so get that notion out of your heads and put it to rest.

tumblr_m96yp5cU0H1qicntr.gif

I agree with some of your points but nobody can really argue that we did get a complete game since by EA's own admission the game was rushed to release along the new films. That deadline cost us a campaign and probably more features/content that we would have had at launch. Now I do think that people saying that we didn't get a "full game" at launch are dumb since they got exactly what was advertised and because of that, the game was in fact full but it's pretty much confirmed that the game was rushed and the consumers suffered for it.

To your next point, I do honestly think DICE deserves props for delivering new content but it's really not so much new at least when it comes to maps because quite frankly, it's just rearranged, retextured map of Hoth and Endor. I appreciate the gesture but I thought 3 maps in these locations were enough. I think they are doing fine with everything else at least other than the maps. I guess the real problem with the maps they are adding is that they are pretty much adding the same content in different ways when there are tons of other locations they could do. Same things goes for the Outer Rim hero and map content. It appears to mostly be reused asset of material actually in the base game.

I also agree on your bugs point. I think this is pretty much exaggerated by most people because Battlefront is one of the most polished games I've played as of late. I rarely experience lag or glitches but you do have to admit that there are several game-breaking glitches. Two off the top of my mind are the invincibility glitch where people can literally go around being unkillable and the rebel depot exploit where Boba Fett can camp the top of the Rebel Depot. In both of these cases, it often leads to a defeat for the opposite team and that is something that is game-breaking. Even then there are some people who can't even play the game because of some rare issue that they have so let's not act like Battlefront is some perfect piece of code that has zero glitches/bugs/issues. Some of these issues/unbalances/exploits actually have been present since the launch of the game so what is the excuse there?

I think people should stop complaining about every issue that displeases them but I do think that most of the games major issues (there is a lot) should be called to attention so DICE/EA can address them and fix them. Battlefront in fact is not a bug free, perfect game but I'd think differently reading your comment that seems to justify and/or excuse pretty much everything DICE/EA have done.

Side Note: I can name several games that in fact do communicate better and handle their patches better than DICE. In fact the only real example of a game having worst communication and patching issues is R6 Siege but that game pretty much is god awful in every aspect other than the actual content.
  • Straywalker
    1034 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Lonnisity wrote: »
    I feel like a lot of what you said in this post, you don't actually have experience or credible knowledge about.

Ooooops, I`m sorry, but I have both experience and credible knowledge about this
  • GRDNANGL172
    5513 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Lonnisity wrote: »

Ooooops, I`m sorry, but I have both experience and credible knowledge about this

Yet he makes excuses on why he can't answer blatant truth.

Sorry, can`t answer you, I dropped the mike when posting that last comment :smile:

• Straywalker
    1034 posts Member
    edited May 2016

Yet he makes excuses on why he can't answer blatant truth.

Give me the distorted truth and I will formulate an answer... Give me real truth and I will shut up
  • GRDNANGL172
    5513 posts Member
    I did give you the real truth. The horrible customer service, bugs, and forced playlist have all driven off players. This is why the playlist is a "must have". In a Star Wars game with awesome graphics and sound, they are managing to drive away their player base to the point where they have to force people to play what they don't want to play just to keep the servers going. You say you hate the playlist, but you support every single thing this company does, no matter how ludicrous it is, when those are the very things creating a need for the forced playlist. You sir are causing the very problem you hate. Think about that next time before smiling.
  • Straywalker
    1034 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    You sir are causing the very problem you hate. Think about that next time before smiling.

Oh, I can`t be taking all the blame for every problem a player encounter. :smile:

I`m not happy with the playlist, it is irregular at best - one of the stupidest things since... well, since the last stupidest thing. I can live with it, I don`t think it is gamebreaking, Extraction is so supercool game mode that I play it everyday. But you, you say you don`t play the game because of a bug in the flight engine - I still fly and have a good time doing it, you also say the game is broken with the invincible bug - I still play the game and enjoy it. Which reality should I believe in? Yours or mine?
  • Blazur
    4468 posts Member
    What I am here to talk about is the segregation of gameplay and content that this causes. Prior to Outer Rim being released, I just assumed the new maps would be included in the map rotations of existing gametypes, much like Jakku.

It's a terrible business model, and you can blame Call of Duty: MW2 for proving it as successful. Normally I don't support paid map packs, but I do it for DICE shooters since I recognize the long lasting enjoyment I'll get out of them. I still feel dirty paying for it though and it goes against my normal philosophy.

I wish more people would follow the business model that Tripwire is doing with Killing Floor or Blizzard is doing with Overwatch. New maps or classes are free, but the game supports microtransactions for cosmetic items that don't effect the game. This way there's no segregation of the audience and the community can thrive.

Each new DLC to this game will drive the community further apart.
    The greatest teacher, failure is.
  • GRDNANGL172
    5513 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    If you're happy playing a broken game then that's completely up to you. I don't prefer to see shots bounce off in air combat constantly since outer rim broke it. That's a major problem. It will be in the game 2 months IF they fix it in the next update. Every time they say they will fix something they break it worse. As it is right now you can endlessly circle with someone in supremacy, with both players unable to damage each other. It's insane. Yup, that lost me as a player, and my dad too. All he played was starfighter combat, and when they broke it he stopped playing.

The point is, while you may not see any of the bugs as a big problem, MANY OTHER PLAYERS DO. What you end up with by making excuses rather than suggest fixes is a game where many of the players leave, and you're left with your forced playlist. You helped make it happen. That is the plain and simple truth. The playlist would NOT be an issue if so many people did not stop playing from all the other issues. That's why they can't change it. It is driving even more people away from the game.