criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

First time playing BF in months.

mcb743
140 posts Member
So I insert the disk can get ready for some epic 40 v 40 walker assault and turning point action, with an optimistic mind I was quite excited to revisit battlefront in the hope that major updates had improved the game. When i finally did find a game it was walker assault on bespin with 5 players on each side, Whenever I got a kill the name didn't pop up and movement was jerky. Then I was hit with major lag (my connection speed is 5mps), I subsequently logged off and haven't been on since. Is this the state of the game now or did I get unlucky? I am playing on ps4...

Replies

  • LoganTNZ
    1243 posts Member
    It's the state of the game.
    Rest in Peace, Kenny Baker

    - Lord of the Hues
  • Gingie
    4317 posts Member
    Must've been bad luck, I always get full games with hardly any lag.
  • LoganTNZ
    1243 posts Member
    Gingie wrote: »
    Must've been bad luck, I always get full games with hardly any lag.

    Lucky
    Rest in Peace, Kenny Baker

    - Lord of the Hues
  • mcb743
    140 posts Member
    conflicting reports....
  • Gingie
    4317 posts Member
    I've heard that opening the ports for BF helps with lag.
  • Had the most lag I've ever encountered on this game, yesterday afternoon. Played a bit last night, just fine. :neutral:
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • bigjay
    787 posts Member
    I only experience lag when im on wifi.
    PSN : BIG_JAY_ALLDAY it should have been this way day 1
  • Am I the only human being that never experiences lag, ever? I've NEVER seen it with 250 hours played.

    I'm always on wifi . It's only 50mb download. How is everyone having this lag problem?!!!??!!??
  • MoistGamer wrote: »
    Am I the only human being that never experiences lag, ever?

    Apparently, yes. Lucky you.
    I find your lack of Guinness disturbing
  • irishtim7 wrote: »
    MoistGamer wrote: »
    Am I the only human being that never experiences lag, ever?

    Apparently, yes. Lucky you.

    FYI I don't doubt that people are having issues with the lag. In fact I'm curious to know what the root cause is. I'm mostly questioning why it doesn't happen to me being on wifi with poor download speeds.

    Lucky, I suppose yes.
  • DO2L
    129 posts Member
    I played on XB1 last for the first time a while, found a full game and it was a blast to play.
  • MoistGamer wrote: »
    Am I the only human being that never experiences lag, ever? I've NEVER seen it with 250 hours played.

    I'm always on wifi . It's only 50mb download. How is everyone having this lag problem?!!!??!!??

    @MoistGamer What part of the country do you live in? The size of the pipe doesn't matter as much as how many 'turns' the network traffic has to make between you and the game servers. If you're situated close 'network wise' to the game servers, then there's less likelihood for one of those 'turns' to be slow and you get a really good experience out of that. Real word for it is 'latency' and you don't have much.
  • I have a theory about the erratic/inconsistent lag issues with online play (which I have puzzled over for some time), based on my rudimentary understanding of online games. I think that the basic factors affecting lag (server proximity and network conditions) are in conflict with EA's approach to populating games, which are apparently prioritized around allowing players to pick game types (or expansion maps) and keeping games full. My guess is that these two factors supersede optimal server-to-user performance when a player is placed on a server.

    In other words, if you're looking to play Bespin, you get put on the first Bespin server available that has an opening, preferably one close to filling up a game. If there are multiple servers meeting these criteria, only then is server-to-user performance used to pick which server you're dumped into. There's probably a network latency performance threshold (maybe 300 ms?) to keep the game experience from getting truly horrid, but beyond that it doesn't seem like one has much control over whether they get placed in a server where they experience either 50 ms (great!) or 250 ms (awful!) lag.

    So I'm guessing the factors controlling your online experience are going to be effected by what game/map you pick, how much server capacity EA has near you, how many players are playing on that/those server(s) already, and what games they are playing. If the nearest servers are all full, or don't have a spot available in the game you're looking for, you get pushed out to a server that's farther away that does have a spot. Since none of this is transparent, you just have to hope you land somewhere where the lag isn't unbearable.

  • ^Very in depth. Thank you!
  • Prep768
    2248 posts Member
    mcb743 wrote: »
    So I insert the disk can get ready for some epic 40 v 40 walker assault and turning point action, with an optimistic mind I was quite excited to revisit battlefront in the hope that major updates had improved the game. When i finally did find a game it was walker assault on bespin with 5 players on each side, Whenever I got a kill the name didn't pop up and movement was jerky. Then I was hit with major lag (my connection speed is 5mps), I subsequently logged off and haven't been on since. Is this the state of the game now or did I get unlucky? I am playing on ps4...

    PS4 UK Wifi - no real problems. Never get lag just the reception bar icon sometimes. When you are lag free this game is enjoyable - IMO.
    PSN Prep768
    Yes @PrepJnr - I am your father, NOW DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!
  • Hardwired West U.S. I never have issues, but the last week it's been giving me some white and yellow bars ocasionally, then last night the game gave several of us in a party red bars and froze us all.
  • @rebel_scumz I think you're onto something. I've been pretty lucky overall, but the last few days have been horrid. Completely taken the enjoyment out of the game - it's like having to anticipate where people are - if you're reacting to anything you're dead.

    Got killed by a T-47 today that was at least 50m past me when the 'killed by' graphic came up - and on top of that it didn't even show me the graphic for the air-speeder, just outlined the air speeder and gave me the guy's name (who happened to be spawn strafing so I knew what he was up to).

    Your theory would make sense if the player base is truly starting to dwindle or they're consolidating their server footprint geographically (if that's the case, and this is the way the game is going to be moving forward, I'm most definitely out since it's not worth the frustration).
  • jeans
    345 posts Member
    Yep last few days. I shoot somebody with the pulse cannon, then switch to my primary and five shots later they die from the pc shot.
    yt jeanschweppe
  • Piscettios wrote: »
    Had the most lag I've ever encountered on this game, yesterday afternoon. Played a bit last night, just fine. :neutral:

    @Piscettios Exactly the same! It was infuriating. Fine this morning though.
    +1 Hue

    Platform: Xbox One
    GT: MCEvan99 (message me if you see me!)
  • Hard wired connection- playing droid run, lost connection to the server and it kicked me out, not the first time it's happened either
  • KRISXR
    253 posts Member
    Idk if anyone mentioned this, sorry if they have. In all multiplayer online games, the player with the worst ping, download and upload speeds is giving the benefit of the doubt when it comes to who's where and when. (this has nothing to do with wifi, although wifi will compound it makeing it worse for the wifi user) So to a bad connection player everything might seem fine, but to the rest of the players in that match, the game is lagging. I'm sure there is a threshold for time stamps that are way out of whack to get dumped; however, players in unpopulated regions can choose servers that are outside of their region and take advantage of said leniency. Depending on how the server is programed for that time stamp threshold some games are better than others.

    I have seen players lag for more than 5 seconds constantly, meaning I'm US east Coast and they are probably in Europe, Australia, or Asia. I think ea/dice have changed this threshold, at the beginning of July, giving players from other unpopulated regions a chance to play on servers that actually have players playing. I mean it's not that good right now anywhere as far as population. I'm on a PS4 East Coast US and prime time on a Friday or Saturday night I can't play the map I want to play and have to settle for whatever is available. If I try to pick a map I just get thrown in an empty lobby. Imagine if a player is in Australia.
  • KRISXR wrote: »
    Idk if anyone mentioned this, sorry if they have. In all multiplayer online games, the player with the worst ping, download and upload speeds is giving the benefit of the doubt when it comes to who's where and when. (this has nothing to do with wifi, although wifi will compound it makeing it worse for the wifi user) So to a bad connection player everything might seem fine, but to the rest of the players in that match, the game is lagging. I'm sure there is a threshold for time stamps that are way out of whack to get dumped; however, players in unpopulated regions can choose servers that are outside of their region and take advantage of said leniency. Depending on how the server is programed for that time stamp threshold some games are better than others.

    I have seen players lag for more than 5 seconds constantly, meaning I'm US east Coast and they are probably in Europe, Australia, or Asia. I think ea/dice have changed this threshold, at the beginning of July, giving players from other unpopulated regions a chance to play on servers that actually have players playing. I mean it's not that good right now anywhere as far as population. I'm on a PS4 East Coast US and prime time on a Friday or Saturday night I can't play the map I want to play and have to settle for whatever is available. If I try to pick a map I just get thrown in an empty lobby. Imagine if a player is in Australia.

    If your theory is correct, then DICE should really consider changing the minimum threshold back. It's ruining the game for everybody. If you are out of region and need to do this to find games, well, sorry mates.
    I find your lack of Guinness disturbing
  • Gingie wrote: »
    I've heard that opening the ports for BF helps with lag.

    This. Although to clarify, these are specific BF ports to open besides the regular ones to open your NAT. At least, there is on Xbox. Pretty sure I saw ports available for PS4 as well.
    Valid Token Confirmed.

    fyq20437essy.png
  • Don't have lag much now( ps4 ) but if i do get it then i turn PS4 off and restart that usually cures it.
  • Joonlar
    1154 posts Member
    MoistGamer wrote: »
    Am I the only human being that never experiences lag, ever? I've NEVER seen it with 250 hours played.

    I'm always on wifi . It's only 50mb download. How is everyone having this lag problem?!!!??!!??

    265 hours played and I could count the matches that have had lag with one hand.

    Battlefront is best multiplayer experience I've ever had, connection wise.
  • Always find full lobbies on ps4 but the lag can be an issue
  • Rogersnelson666
    294 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    I play in parties most often and we all get lag.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!