criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Gamescom 2019 Triple XP
Community Transmission

Old, but not obsolete players

I believe EA is overlooking a segment of players, but oddly not completely. I`ll give you my case study: 8 players, friends, all in mid 30`s, all StarWars fans. Although we all own a copy of Battlefront with season pass, we can`t play together because the game supports only 2 player co-op mode.

EA needs to understand that although we grow older, we are still gamers that grew up with Blood, Duke, Quake, CS, Battlefield, and so on, and we still love to play. Back in the days we ruled in CS competitions, but now we have jobs, kids and far less time to indulge in hours of gaming at a time.

All of you younger players reading this post will eventually find yourselves in our shoes: older but not obsolete players. And as it is to be expected this is quite a large and growing segment. Playing against you guys in multiplayer is increasingly difficult. You have better reflexes, you`ve logged way more hours of gameplay and it stands to reason that in most cases we don`t stand a fair chance on the battlefield against you.

For us, a Battlefront night has more to do with taking time out from work and kids and kick back with a cold beer and a handful of friends. It`s true that a co-op game vs AI is less competitive, and far from me to argue the benefits of playing versus human players. The truth is that we are simply no longer up to par, and believe me, that is a hard thing to admit. We can`t stop aging. But I`ll be damned if we`ll EVER stop playing all together.

So, for us all, the old gamers and for the ones that now can`t imagine they`ll ever be in our shoes, make an effort and expand the co-op side of the game. Add maps to missions and skirmish mode, we all hold season pass for the game, and we were all disappointed to see that no new maps for co-op were released with the DeathStar expansion. All I`m saying is that if you can make the game work with 2 players VS Ai, you can make it work with 4. Not 10, 20 or 40. Just 4. Remember EA, gamers like ourselves are an ever-growing community, and it`s a shame to toss us aside just because we are getting older.

Replies

• +1,000,000 hues
  • Dude I agree.Ea Give us older gamers some thought.It's not all about the multiplayer to us, sure it is fun but we would like t go back to the days of sitting in the living room of one of our friends house and playing together.Anybody remember 4 person split screen on the N64 that was epic!
  • I'm in my 40s and try to compete in multi-player, but I agree 100%. The youngsters are just better at this stuff and I wish they'd quit nerfing the cards and weapons we casuals need to survive against them lol.
  • I wish they could add bots to Private Matches.
  • Old_fella_1963
    4697 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    You can join a community like 3P0 if on PS4. We are all over 30,many have kids we even have a sub group 3PO kids ( so we definitely can say I know your dad and I'm gonna have a word! :-) ) we can play private matches 8 aside with our own rules. Also more than a couple of us can still beat the 20 something good players even after nurse has put our slippers on for us
  • Hesh
    197 posts Member
    By 2020 50% of the population will be over 50.
  • I get what you are saying. I too am around your age group. But I just don't know how much effort EA/DICE can put in to the game to satisfy this group. It goes along the lines of trying to please everyone. It's not possible. I play the game quite a bit so clearly I like it. Sure I get waxed by better and likely younger players. But that doesn't bother me, I have a different set of priorities that they do. I'd rather they focus on fixing known bugs and just adding good content to the existing game set.
  • I'm 53 years young father of Yoda lol.
  • Linearping
    1 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Actually Exo has a fair point. This segment of players has been overlooked by game devs. I'm pushing 40 myself, and like it or not, Exo touched a nerve. I mean you can't miss the irony here. When I was a kid I was saving money and constantly upgrading my rig to be able to play with medium video settings. High settings were a dream, ultra... Cracked windows, cracked games, like many many others on this forum.

Now I got a dedicated gaming rig from nvidia, I can afford to replace it every 2 years, all my games are original (come to think of it, most of the titles from my library are from EA) I buy all the expansions but there's something missing. I can buy any game, any rig, but I find that the games worthwile are fewer and fewer. Battlefront kinda lost its allure when I was limited from playing with the guys. Same thing happened with Battlefield 4. Got all the expansions, all the goodies but its no longer amusing. I really just want to play with my friends that I grew up playing. Why are game devs making this so hard? Just take my money and let me play.
  • Prep768
    2248 posts Member
    Very well put @exo9mm.
    Dude I agree.Ea Give us older gamers some thought.It's not all about the multiplayer to us, sure it is fun but we would like t go back to the days of sitting in the living room of one of our friends house and playing together. Anybody remember 4 person split screen on the N64 that was epic!

Fun times.

Take note young uns, that's how to start a thread :)
    PSN Prep768
    Yes @PrepJnr - I am your father, NOW DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!
  • Exo9mm
    3 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Take a look at this statistics. This is were the money comes from:

Some stats about the average gamer around the world.

UK Gamers

Based on a study commissioned by gaming social network Pixwoo in 2013.
    • Play computer games five days a week, for 2 hours and 32 minutes each day.
    • Will stay up until 10.58pm playing games
    • Has stayed up until 1.12am on occasion
    • Owns two different consoles
    • Owns 18 games
    • Can complete a game in four-and-a-half weeks
    • Will go to a midnight opening for a new game once a year, spending four hours queuing each time
    • Has two rows a week with their partner about gaming
    • Has five online friends in the gaming community
    • Is 35 years old
    • Earns £23,244 a year
    • Is married or in a relationship
    • Has one child
    • Drives a Ford, Vauxhall or BMW
    • Works almost 32 hours a week

US Gamers
    • The average gamer is 30 years old has been playing games for 13 years
    • The average adult gamer has been playing for 15 years. That’s 17 years for men, 13 years for women.
    • Gamers are 55% male, 45% female
    • Women over the age of 18 represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (31%) than boys age 17 or younger (19%).
    36% of gamers play on a smartphone
    62% play with others, either in-person or online
  • SSJSnoop
    2036 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Dude I'm all for them beefing up the co-op modes, specifically for local play. 4-players survival would be loads more fun.

However I take issue with this nostalgic trend I've seen for a while with older gamers saying "I'm too old now to be as good as you kids". To me that's a cop out. I think its finding out you were never "that" good.

I have a friend who logged countless hours into CS when we were young( I was more of an Enemy Territory guy) and now he can rarely get a killstreak going in any MP shooter. This is an example of not being as good as you thought.

I used to think I was godly @ Super Smash Bros Melee when I was young, but as I got older and played more players I realized other people are just better.

Sometimes you have to come to terms with either, being worse than you thought and being bested despite age.
  • Old_fella_1963
    4697 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    @ssjssnoop even at your tender mental age you have demonstrated an amazing ability to talk out of ya arrz. LOL. See how it goes in life then come back and tell the new youth -boy I was so wrong
  • I agree with you to a point. I do not agree that age is a factor in sub par performance. My hands, even though I have arthritis, still work. I play multiplayer and have no problem competing. I have a few friends we all get on and play online together, where you can have more than 2. No reason to play AI. You can still hold your own.

A little background on me. The last video game I bought was Tiger Woods 99, and it was brand new. I haven't owned a gaming system for over a decade. I bought the PS4 specifically to get my nerd on with Star Wars, and I am able to compete just fine. Give it a try, do not give up and you will find you too can hold your own against the kids.
  • SSJSnoop
    2036 posts Member
    Come back when you're coherent lol
  • I`m not questioning anyone`s ability to play. I did not find it necessary to mention that I`m a former PGL winner on FPS, and that I can take on any player on this game. That`s not the point. The fact that I am proficient in FPS does not mean that my friends are just as good. And it certainly doesn`t mean that I have to prove my skills by dominating the leaderboards. Whom I play with, whom I choose to call my friends is my prerogative.
    If I`m a test driver pilot it doesn`t mean that I can`t enjoy riding slower cars and having fun with my friends while doing so. Not everything is a race or a competition. You need to remember to have fun and every now and then throw away the leaderboards. I was just pointing out that EA walked only have a mile in developing COOP mode. Might as well walk the full mile. We basically wrote a check in white for EA when we purchased the season pass. We didn`t know what we were buying. I`m not sorry I did so. All I ask in return is to be heard and acknowledged by EA.
  • I'm mid-30's, played a lot of Quake, CS, Unreal Tournament etc. I'm not quite past it yet, but it is harder to dominate like I used to on CS Source :joy:
  • i'm classically-trained-tshirt-preview.png as well ;)
    first online shooter, took a while to train muscle memory, i'm pretty sure i'd have learned that quicker 15 years ago. but now i can definitely keep up, youngsters or not.
    however, it's really a pity that the offline content is limited to two players, shouldn't be a big thing to add more.
    Wer die Wahrheit sagt braucht ein verdammt schnelles Pferd!
  • I really wish this game would support splitscreen online play.
  • SSJSnoop
    2036 posts Member
    Splitscreen online would be GODLY.
  • Gingie
    4317 posts Member
    I really wish this game would support splitscreen online play.

It can't. There's too many technical issues.
  • mega8deth8 wrote: »
    I'm in my 40s and try to compete in multi-player, but I agree 100%. The youngsters are just better at this stuff and I wish they'd quit nerfing the cards and weapons we casuals need to survive against them lol.

I don't know about that. I'm 48 and very rarely not in the top 3 and get 1st quite a bit. I also don't get to play as much as I'd like because of my work hours. Maybe just practice a little more?
  • Staind716 wrote: »
    mega8deth8 wrote: »
    I'm in my 40s and try to compete in multi-player, but I agree 100%. The youngsters are just better at this stuff and I wish they'd quit nerfing the cards and weapons we casuals need to survive against them lol.

I don't know about that. I'm 48 and very rarely not in the top 3 and get 1st quite a bit. I also don't get to play as much as I'd like because of my work hours. Maybe just practice a little more?

Thats why I use the word casuals. If I could practice more (around work and family stuff) I wouldn't be a casual player. Which I think most of us are. But it's the diehards that cry about OP weapons because they aren't supposed to die, so said weapon gets nerfed. We need a bone or 2 thrown our way.
  • Straywalker
    1034 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    The age factor is not the same as a skill factor, not even an economical factor. It's how we manage to prioritize our "off work" hours to get the precious gaming time.

Kids (in generell) have less appointments/reaponsibilities/demands than grownups. We (meaning grownups like me) can't get away with "I don't give a f.. I'm gaming!" - so we tend to get less gaming time.

But we still want the full experience.

In 3PO (like old-fella63 says) we are all old gamers having a blast together. We don't care about them youngsters racing for the best K/D - we're in it for the fun. And with the almost same memorise from tv-series/music/books/events we do have lots to chatter away at while gaming.
    Some of the oldies have become super good, the rest of us pick up some tricks from these guys and gets better all the time. This way we all get better use of the few hours we find to game.

3PO stands for 30+ "years of age" Only :smiley:

But to swap MP for Skirmish or make spesial "oldies games"? No thanks! Maybe when I hit 100 and live in an retirement home..

Ps. We've converted from PC to PS4
    Playstation 4 fun :p Proud member of the 3PO community
  • SSJSnoop
    2036 posts Member

Smart move.
  • Old_fella_1963
    4697 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Staind716 wrote: »

But it's the diehards that cry about OP weapons because they aren't supposed to die, so said weapon gets nerfed. We need a bone or 2 thrown our way.

Too much of a generalisation I think. Many want a balanced game for overall playerbase. Usually the better players will find ways to exploit( so club you even harder ).I think people who struggle should get intelligently applied help ie Bacta only works for them not people who are 'killing it' in the game etc etc
    PS Staind716 is also 3PO er but still under 50! ;-)
  • DO2L
    129 posts Member
    I'm 48 on Xbox and still love to play multiplayer games. Don't enjoy single player to much.
  • Meh, I'm almost 43, and I feel 60, but I don't have problems playing against younger players. I always say, if you want to know how good you are, play from 1-4am EST when all the asian school kids get online and then see how good you are. Keeps me on my toes.

I was always a slower player, even as a child. Never the fastest reflexes, but always thinking of the counter, always thinking ahead and that was/is enough to be good. Strategy is key: if you are slower, then use weapons with a faster TTK, use scan pulse to get the drop on them, know your TTK at the various distances to select the best weapon, know the map, be sneakier, all this works for me. Then there is youtube, where you can see different play styles and pick up new techniques and strategies. I know I give as good as I get.

What is missing, I feel, is the social aspect. Sitting next to your friend and seeing each others game play while you play together against other PEOPLE would be cool. Party voice chat is the next best thing, but in person would be a better experience.
  • The age factor is not the same as a skill factor, not even an economical factor. It's how we manage to prioritize our "off work" hours to get the precious gaming time.

Kids (in generell) have less appointments/reaponsibilities/demands than grownups. We (meaning grownups like me) can't get away with "I don't give a f.. I'm gaming!" - so we tend to get less gaming time.

But we still want the full experience.

In 3PO (like old-fella63 says) we are all old gamers having a blast together. We don't care about them youngsters racing for the best K/D - we're in it for the fun. And with the almost same memorise from tv-series/music/books/events we do have lots to chatter away at while gaming.
    Some of the oldies have become super good, the rest of us pick up some tricks from these guys and gets better all the time. This way we all get better use of the few hours we find to game.

3PO stands for 30+ "years of age" Only :smiley:

But to swap MP for Skirmish or make spesial "oldies games"? No thanks! Maybe when I hit 100 and live in an retirement home..

I'm in 3PO community and need to check in more often and join parties. I play solo most of the time and just forget about it.the PlayStation communities are kind of "out of sight, out of mind" for me.