criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
August Community Calendar
Community Transmission

Mods?

Since I work all day with computers, my downtime gaming switched to consoles away from PC years ago, so I'm not even sure how the land lies with mods and EA these days.

Does anyone know why mods aren't a thing with Battlefront, and if that's likely to change? If it was open to modding I'd invest in a PC copy for the fan content.

Replies

• Sb2432
    2605 posts Member
    Since I work all day with computers, my downtime gaming switched to consoles away from PC years ago, so I'm not even sure how the land lies with mods and EA these days.

Does anyone know why mods aren't a thing with Battlefront, and if that's likely to change? If it was open to modding I'd invest in a PC copy for the fan content.

Mods aren't a thing because EA/DISNEY don't want them. That simple.
  • leftweet
    2216 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    This was DICE's response to no mods in Battlefield 3 (via Patrick Soderlund):
    Because if you look at the Frostbite engine, and how complex it is, it’s going to be very difficult for people to mod the game, because of the nature of the set up of levels, of the destruction and all those things… it’s quite tricky. So we think it’s going to be too big of a challenge for people to make a mod.

They also discussed it before Battlefield 4 came out (via Karl-Magnus Troedsson):
    We get that question a lot. I always answer the same thing, and then the community calls me bad names. We get the feedback, we understand it. We also would like to see more player-created content, but we would never do something like this if we feel we couldn't do this 100 percent. That means we need to have the right tools available, we need to have the right security around this regarding what parts of the engine we let loose, so to say. So for BF4 we don't have any planned mod support, I have to be blunt about saying that. We don't.

I figure it's the same reason for Battlefront. They feel like Frostbite is too "complex" for Battlefront and haven't built mod tools for the engine. I'd also suspect Disney doesn't want there to be modding, but that's merely a guess.
    I write things for The Star Wars Game Outpost
  • Sb2432 wrote: »

Mods aren't a thing because EA/DISNEY don't want them. That simple.

So they've never made it possible later in a game's cycle or anything? What are the chances of it happening anyway through the modding community?

I'm aiming this mostly at the three PC Battlefront players or anyone who still spends a decent amount of time PC gaming, think there'll be a reason to get a Windows copy any time soon?
  • leftweet wrote: »
    Because if you look at the Frostbite engine, and how complex it is, it’s going to be very difficult for people to mod the game, because of the nature of the set up of levels, of the destruction and all those things… it’s quite tricky. So we think it’s going to be too big of a challenge for people to make a mod.

They also discussed it before Battlefield 4 came out (via Karl-Magnus Troedsson):
    We get that question a lot. I always answer the same thing, and then the community calls me bad names. We get the feedback, we understand it. We also would like to see more player-created content, but we would never do something like this if we feel we couldn't do this 100 percent. That means we need to have the right tools available, we need to have the right security around this regarding what parts of the engine we let loose, so to say. So for BF4 we don't have any planned mod support, I have to be blunt about saying that. We don't.

I figure it's the same reason for Battlefront. They feel like Frostbite is too "complex" for Battlefront and haven't built mod tools for the engine. I'd also suspect Disney doesn't want there to be modding, but that's merely a guess.

Thanks @leftweet, I guess that pretty much answers my question. Shame to hear it though.
  • Gingie
    4317 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Maybe since skirmish wasn't originally planned to be in the game? Other than that idk.

Although, someone here who spoke to the devs at an event told they were thinking about a map editor.

EDIT:
    leftweet wrote: »

That's a shame. At least we know why.
  • you're right in that it is strange that for a pc there are no mod tools or options available - that's kind of the whole point of even getting certain games on pc.
    sadly the multi-player only (forget skirmish) aspect of this game means you won't see mods for this game, except maybe a shader or other cosmetic thing that is separate and not actually part of the game coding.
    as a modder and maker of maps for the classic battlefront, this was bad news to learn when i played the game and started looking at the coding....
  • leftweet wrote: »

Thanks @leftweet, I guess that pretty much answers my question. Shame to hear it though.

I will say that Uninspired Zebra has figured out ways to force the game to do, erm, unnatural things (such as that Lando outfit), but until he releases how he manages to pull that off, I don't think we'll be able to see mods of any sort in this game (besides ones with Sweet FX that put a filter over things).
    I write things for The Star Wars Game Outpost
  • Did any of you guys mod on Battlefront II back in the day? Pandemic, etc.?
    xbox one: ST0RK