criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Final Nail In The Coffin?

Prev1
Jarrad
2270 posts Member
edited November 2016
The community has been speculating about whether or not Star Wars: Battlefront is starting to die off as development on the game is coming to a close.

Since the Death Star DLC was released, the following has occurred:

Road Ahead Update Article was released that provided no substantial news update (only that a 4x credit xp weekend is coming and that the fourth dlc will be Rogue One and will feature "characters, locations, and stuff from the movie")

Upcoming Calendar Event Schedule hasn't been updated since July

EA Star Wars has been posting old Battlefront community videos from earlier in the year that were released during July and pushing them off as being new

Developers not talking anymore to the community and not responding anymore about the game in tweets

Lead Designer Dennis (Firewall) leaving development of Star Wars: Battlefront and taking a whole year off for paternity leave

No other lead developer taking over for Dennis (as confirmed by Dennis)

Player Base dwindling drastically and getting harder and harder to find matches (including me as well on the PS4, which is said to have the highest player count)

No new patch coming till Rogue One DLC is released (as confirmed by Dennis himself)

I guess now we should ask, is that the final nail in the coffin and Star Wars: Battlefront is officially at the point of being dead or does anyone think that Star Wars: Battlefront still might have a little life left in it?

Thoughts anyone?

Replies

• I don't have issues finding games so....
    Xbox One: Firewall17 - I Love Star Wars: Battlefront 2! No regrets buying it and never will! - Also on >The List<
  • Firewall17 wrote: »
    I don't have issues finding games so....

Dennis ? Is that you ?
  • Next question:
    Will we have a funeral or just move in?

Dennis ? Is that you ?

>:)
    Xbox One: Firewall17 - I Love Star Wars: Battlefront 2! No regrets buying it and never will! - Also on >The List<
  • Anoh
    8380 posts Member
    I'm only expecting Rogue One and it's patch then that's it.
    Editor/Cinematographer - Anoh is pronounced: AhNo.
  • Jarrad
    2270 posts Member
    thiago2103 wrote: »
    f6c.jpg

Yeah, unfortunately you're right.

Especially after Dennis says that no one is replacing him while he is on paternity leave.

That's one less person working on the game for the handful of people that they have for working on it.

The game is done sadly.
  • Anoh
    8380 posts Member
    Anoh wrote: »

Remember when people thought they would add mos eisley and yavin 4 as free maps in 2017 ...

njsc3u.jpg

:joy: !!!!!!!!!! Boy am I laughing
    Editor/Cinematographer - Anoh is pronounced: AhNo.
  • thiago2103 wrote: »

Remember when people thought they would add mos eisley and yavin 4 as free maps in 2017 ...

njsc3u.jpg

Remember when they said they were gonna make hero blast, the bo-rifle, and a special trait for Palpatine's blocking. Bunch of liars.

Likewise
  • Jarrad
    2270 posts Member
    Next question:
    Will we have a funeral or just move in?

I'm really disappointed that this game will probably have no support and very few players (if any) at this time next year.

Star Wars: Battlefront is one of my favorite IPs (as being a player of the originals).

Star Wars: Battlefront should have had a substantial offline for it, like the other Battlefronts did, rather than being Multiplayer exclusive.

Keep in mind, I love the Multiplayer, but it only lasts for so long.

Single player is what keeps a game alive and going.
  • I'm now seriously considering buying the Possibly Way Over-Priced BF1.
  • Jarrad
    2270 posts Member

njsc3u.jpg

Remember when they said they were gonna make hero blast, the bo-rifle, and a special trait for Palpatine's blocking. Bunch of liars.

Yeah.

EA/DICE probably aren't going to add the Stormtrooper Luke, Stormtrooper Han, and ANH Leia skins or make Red Five and the Tie Advanced Hero Ships available offline for Skirmish Fighter Squadron either.

And EA/DICE probably won't bring forth any Skirmish additions either.

They have lied about some things and disappointed with others.

Such wasted potential.
  • Jarrad
    2270 posts Member

At this point, I'm thinking the same as well.

Guess we won't be getting the Bo-Rifle, Hero Blast, the Stormtrooper Luke Hero Skin, the Stormtrooper Han Hero Skin, the ANH Leia Hero Skin, the Red Five Hero Ship made available for Skirmish Fighter Squadron, the Tie Advanced Hero Ship made available for Skirmish Fighter Squadron, and any Skirmish additions/new modes/new maps either.
  • Come on guys don't be that way, there still is hope. It's just hidden behind another 120 dollars and is a year away.

battlefront-2-listing-760x427-1.jpg

tumblr_nl9biscTwX1soy0bho1_1280.jpg

• Jarrad
    2270 posts Member
    Come on guys don't be that way, there still is hope. It's just hidden behind another 120 dollars and is a year away.

battlefront-2-listing-760x427-1.jpg

tumblr_nl9biscTwX1soy0bho1_1280.jpg

Aint it the truth!
  • I don't have a problem finding games. :)
  • Quarktard wrote: »
    I don't have a problem finding games. :)

Dennis ? Is that you?
  • Jarrad
    2270 posts Member
    Firewall17 wrote: »
    CallMeDeee wrote: »
    Firewall17 wrote: »

Likewise
    Quarktard wrote: »

Really?

I have trouble finding games for Bespin Airspace Fighter Squadron Bespin, Cloud City Walker Assault Bespin, Any Map Heroes v. Villains Outer Rim, Imperial Blockade Fighter Squadron Death Star, Death Star Surface Fighter Squadron Death Star just to name a few of them, as well as Drop Zone Vanilla Game.

Know many of those are Fighter Squadron, but Walker Assault and Heroes v. Villains, really?

You'd think otherwise.
  • Jarrad
    2270 posts Member
    I'm now seriously considering buying the Possibly Way Over-Priced BF1.

Can't tell if that's sarcasm or sincerity.

I'm going with sarcasm.

Some of my friends got Battlefield 1.

Instead, I was thinking of maybe going for Mafia 3.
  • Jarrad wrote: »

I'm going with sarcasm.

If you do not like repetitive gameplay DO NOT buy Mafia 3. I've warned you now.
  • Jarrad
    2270 posts Member
    Jarrad wrote: »

I'm going with sarcasm.

Doesn't bother me a bit actually.

The story looks quite good too.

I guess you got Mafia 3 and didn't like it?
  • I cannot find Supremecy games or Drop Zone games most of the day on XB1. Cargo I can find but sometimes have to wait a bit. No problems with WA or HvV.
  • Jarrad
    2270 posts Member

'' he has listen a lot to the community and added much stuff that we had requested such as SKIRMISH(an imcomplete and buggy instant action that should've been since launch) , helmetless stormtroopers(Lazy , lazy and lazy) and a lot of of other stuff(its actually sad how he cant even list things that he did , because he knows dennis didn't do ****) and on top of the communication has greatly improved'' ( he can't be serious )

Wow, Elliot could not be more completely wrong.

Then again, I'm not surprised that Elliot said that.
  • The2000sGuy
    1468 posts Member
    edited November 2016

'' he has listen a lot to the community and added much stuff that we had requested such as SKIRMISH(an imcomplete and buggy instant action that should've been since launch) , helmetless stormtroopers(Lazy , lazy and lazy) and a lot of of other stuff(its actually sad how he cant even list things that he did , because he knows dennis didn't do ****) and on top of the communication has greatly improved'' ( he can't be serious )

Wow, Elliot could not be more completely wrong.

Then again, I'm not surprised that Elliot said that.

Consider what they've done for him. Of course he wouldn't speak against his Meat and Potatoes!

I'm going with sarcasm.

Doesn't bother me a bit actually.

The story looks quite good too.

I guess you got Mafia 3 and didn't like it?

Correct. I like the story and the concept but the missions other than the major plot missions are so repetitive that I was tired out after 2 long play sessions. The atmosphere, sounds and dialogue of the game is great though. The game isn't really as good as the previous games IMO.
  • ArchNemesis79
    426 posts Member
    edited November 2016

BF1 is way better gameplay. It's a bit more serious, but the game itself is far better and the most recent update notes (what's to come) was very informative.

I LOVE Star Wars, and I somehow can't force myself to play this game due to the devs being so poor at their job.

It's odd they would treat this game like this, seeing as they want to make a second one. The very treatment of this game is the reason I'm certain I won't buy the second one. Not a chance.

• you sure?

I'm going with sarcasm.

That was Actual sincerity. Relish in it now, you're not going to see it from anyone on these forums for a while.
  • Jarrad
    2270 posts Member

I'm going with sarcasm.

That was Actual sincerity. Relish in it now, you're not going to see it from anyone on these forums for a while.

Well I'm really glad that you like Battlefield 1.

It does look like a fun game to play.

I wish that the COD franchise would have gone back to retelling historical battles/wars, rather than trying to copy HALO and Star Wars with "focusing on the future".

I really enjoyed COD: World at War, which was set during WWII.

It looked to me that Battlefield I might be very similar, but set in WWI.
  • Quarktard wrote: »

Dennis ? Is that you?

This is getting a bit old now.
  • Starmasui17324
    2793 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    The community has been speculating about whether or not Star Wars: Battlefront is starting to die off as development on the game is coming to a close.

Since the Death Star DLC was released, the following has occurred:

Road Ahead Update Article was released that provided no substantial news update (only that a 4x credit xp weekend is coming and that the fourth dlc will be Rogue One and will feature "characters, locations, and stuff from the movie")

Upcoming Calendar Event Schedule hasn't been updated since July
    That's all true.
    EA Star Wars has been posting old Battlefront community videos from earlier in the year that were released during July and pushing them off as being new.
    That's pretty much all true I suppose, but I'm not sure if their intent was to imply the videos were new.
    Developers not talking anymore to the community and not responding anymore about the game in tweets
    Well actual they finally recently just started opening up about things again.
    Lead Designer Dennis (Firewall) leaving development of Star Wars: Battlefront and taking a whole year off for paternity leave.
    This is total misinformation. He did NOT say he would be gone for a year. He said he would see you next year. Next year starts in January. That's a month and a half away, a far cry from a year (12 months).
    No other lead developer taking over for Dennis (as confirmed by Dennis)
    Hmmmm that sounds odd. Are you sure you understood that correctly?
    Player Base dwindling drastically and getting harder and harder to find matches (including me as well on the PS4, which is said to have the highest player count)
    Yeah that pretty much true. Still can find matches though of Walker Assault, Blast, Hero Hunt, Supremacy and Cargo. Though numbers are indeed down. I'm on X-Box One...
    No new patch coming till Rogue One DLC is released (as confirmed by Dennis himself)
    Yeah but that's not that big of a thing, that's only what...a month and a week away?

• Jarrad
    2270 posts Member
    @Starmasui17324

No, Dennis did say that no other lead developer was going to step in.

I believe I did read somewhere that Dennis said that he would be able to get up to 400 days off according to the law where he lives for paternity leave.

However, he may just being taking time off till January, not sure.
    @Starmasui17324

No, Dennis did say that no other lead developer was going to step in.

I believe I did read somewhere that Dennis said that he would be able to get up to 400 days off according to the law where he lives for paternity leave.

However, he may just being taking time off till January, not sure.

Really? If you get that link I'd love to read it.
  • Die off? This game died a week after launch and it took my $130 with it.

Get Battlefront 2, its waaay better.
  • Starmasui17324
    2793 posts Member
    edited November 2016

Get Battlefront 2, its waaay better.

You sound like your speaking from the inside insite of a game designer?
  • Jarrad
    2270 posts Member
    @Starmasui17324

No problem.

Also, forgot to post this, in response to your question if anybody was replacing Dennis or not.

@Starmasui17324

No problem.

Also, forgot to post this, in response to your question if anybody was replacing Dennis or not.

His position disolved means others will have to reach down inside themselves and find their internal leader to fill the gap. His new position when he is back in a year and a half will releave some of that burden. I've had that happen to me in jobs before were something unexpected happens and all of a sudden there is no boss. Then you have to find the natural born leader inside of you and just sort of man up.
  • Starmasui17324
    2793 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Tobikun wrote: »
    We've only been waiting 4 months for a freaking update, we were supposed to get it TODAY but NOPE!

True about the update wait Tobikun.

P.S.- On a dfferent subject: Also as I said above, it ended up not being misinformation after all about Dennis's loooong vacation. I was going off of one Tweet that created misinterpitation, when another Tweet gave waaay more detail and confirmed he was correct. See I have no prob. admitting if I'm in error, I only seek the facts.

[rolls eyes] Tweets can be soooo misunderstood.
  • Tobikun wrote: »
    We've only been waiting 4 months for a freaking update, we were supposed to get it TODAY but NOPE!

I thought you said you stopped playing this after Bespin DLC? So what are you waiting for? More threads to comment?
    Playstation 4 fun :p Proud member of the 3PO community
  • Tobikun wrote: »

I thought you said you stopped playing this after Bespin DLC? So what are you waiting for? More threads to comment?

Hope...he's waiting for hope... Hang in there Tobs, we got your back.
  • Jarrad
    2270 posts Member
    Tobikun wrote: »

Hope...he's waiting for hope... Hang in there Tobs, we got your back.

I guess we all are. Just got to keep positive and keep our heads held high.
  • DO2L
    129 posts Member
    So many good new games out it is gonna die a bit.
  • Jarrad
    2270 posts Member
    DO2L wrote: »
    So many good new games out it is gonna die a bit.

I'm afraid that that may be the case.