criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Gamescom 2019 Triple XP
Community Transmission

"Try Hards"

Every so often I would run into what I'd like to refer to as a "try hard". In the typical scenario, the "try hard" would spam roll towards an enemy player, and spam him with his OP load out. While the victim is watching his kill cam helplessly, the "try hard", depending on how salty he is, would intimidate his victim with an emote, before spam rolling towards his next prey.

My theory: I will be listing the typical star cards, weapons and traits you would find in a "try hard" load out, and see if you notice any pattern.

Weapons: EE-4, TL-50 Heavy Repeater (And Secondary Fire)

Star Cards: Disruption, Bowcaster, Pulse Cannon, Jump Pack, Bacta Bomb, Personal Shield, Shock Grenade

Traits: Berserker, Bodyguard

Extra: Spam Rolling

Notice anything?
In case you didn't, I will retype the list, but this time, anything added as part of a free update or DLC will be removed from this list.

Star Cards: Bowcaster, Pulse Cannon, Jump Pack, Personal Shield

Traits: Bodyguard

Seems less intimidating now, doesn't it? Keep in mind that rolling was added as part of a free update alongside the Outer Rim DLC.

Without the weapons and star cards that came with free updates and DLCs, there wouldn't be much "try hard" left in the list given above. What are your thoughts on this? If you, just like me, have encountered a "try hard", keep in mind the list above, and understand that there is a difference between these kinds of players and good players.

Now, here is my question: How should one avoid these "try hards"? Good players like Matthew Serna (who I barely see roll in his videos) tend to get good K/Ds without having to deal with these players.

Replies

• Meh - I basically run two load outs. One of them is 'try hard' as you describe it (Jump Pack + Bacta + Bodyguard). The other is Dioxis + Thermal. I play with different weapons, but if I'm trying to win a game it's usually the EE-3, or SE-14C if more CQC. I finish with really similar stat lines with either load out. I combat roll when I need to get to cover fast or someone is trying a jump-assault of some sort, but not much more than that (I switched melee | crouch when I started since I was one of those noobs that go so excited in the middle of a blaster fight I'd melee the air - too much effort to relearn that now).

I know the player type you mean, and I wonder if they have button macros for all of the constant jump rolling. But, to say they're not good wouldn't be accurate. They're quite good, they're just using everything available to them to excel at the game - it's their right, as un-fun as it can be for the rest of us.

The K/D part of your argument is bunk - there are many ways to get good K/Ds without being a 'try hard' as you describe - you could be a vehicle hugger, a hero token camper, a corner camper, etc.
  • @cannon_fodder this specific player gets perfect games without vehicles or heroes. You should check out his YouTube videos. I probably should have been more clear, I'm not saying they're bad players, but a true good player looks at the radar, plays the objective, etc, and tend to get just as good K/Ds as a tryhard. I respect good players more than I do tryhards.
  • @Alanopoly18 Sure - me too. I'm saying sometimes it's hard to distinguish between the two (a good player and a try hard). I mean, it's a game - some people play to win the game (it's a personality thing) - if you're playing you should try hard, no?
  • Balmain24
    1532 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    I'm a tryhard :wink:
    PSN: Balmain24. Feel free to add!
  • Yay I don't have any of those!
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • I try pretty hard. Well, sometimes I don't.
    PSN: ORancisis "I am one with the Force. The Force is with me"
  • @cannon_fodder Yes, but spam rolling and emoting doesn't necessarily help the objective. It's "trying hard" to look cool and intimidate opponents.
  • I just picked up some skinny jeans and a taylor swift CD because I got to keep up with these go hards. Usually I tell them to stay of my lawn but if I can only go back to high school I'd take state!
  • DO2L
    129 posts Member
    I like trying loadouts no one else is using
  • Peepzilla
    932 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    DO2L wrote: »

I run Dioxis almost 24/7. IMO it's the most underrated card in the game. That sexy green juice has boosted my XP phenomenally and has drastically helped take down heroes in my favorite mode, HvV.

I haven't taken it out of my main loadout since it got a slight buff shortly after it was released.
  • Peepzilla wrote: »
    DO2L wrote: »

I run Dioxis almost 24/7. IMO it's the most underrated card in the game. That sexy green juice has boosted my XP phenomenally and has drastically helped take down heroes in my favorite mode, HvV.

I haven't taken it out of my main loadout since it got a slight buff shortly after it was released.

My favourite card as well. Love it.
    PSN: ORancisis "I am one with the Force. The Force is with me"
  • Met someone today who played HvV, But hid during the infantry rounds. He ended up going 42 and 2. I guess that's one way to raise your k/d.
  • Tryhard = Someone beating me badly, lol
  • Peepzilla
    932 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    thiago2103 wrote: »
    Met someone today who played HvV, But hid during the infantry rounds. He ended up going 42 and 2. I guess that's one way to raise your k/d.

I also do that , but not because of my K/D , because infantry gameplay sucks

So you don't help your team defeat heroes? You need to play a different mode. You're the worst kind of player.

Sometimes I have my best rounds as infantry in HvV and having competent infantry makes a huge difference in that mode.

Who admits to being a scrub infantry player who hides in a small team mode on a public forum? Wow.
  • Wrong! Try hard = campers in objective games. I don't care about load outs, just campers. It's not as bad when the try hard campers are on the other team. It's when the try hard campers are on your team. Too many try hard campers = lost game. But hey, at least their KD is great!
  • Yeah but if you're playing what currently exists, you're trolling your own team by not trying at all half the game. That's a spot on the team where a competent player could be inflicting large amounts of damage on a hero as infantry.
  • SSJSnoop wrote: »
    Tryhard = Someone beating me badly, lol

+1
  • Arcadegreg wrote: »
    SSJSnoop wrote: »

+1

-100 emote is the sign of a complete waaaaaanker, simple as.
  • Emoting is the psychological aspect of this game much like t bagging in halo.
    You destroy someone and then slap their dead body a few times they'll get all flustered and play worse. Or they'll come back to you so you can kill them again.
  • Balmain24
    1532 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Met someone today who played HvV, But hid during the infantry rounds. He ended up going 42 and 2. I guess that's one way to raise your k/d.

Yeah, that's an unskilled way to raise your KD.
  • Arcadegreg wrote: »

+1

-100 emote is the sign of a complete waaaaaanker, simple as.

I'm sure you're really good at the game...
  • I don't mind the loadout (except the ee-4. Hate this gun for some reason) so much as the laughing emotes and spam rolling + jump. They just bug me.
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....
  • I try hard but with a thermal, jet, stim and ee3 for big maps and take out the jet for Dioxis on small maps.

Most I'll do though is give you a thumbs up emote if we get into a good blaster bout, otherwise you die and I keep it moving.
  • Xantos
    2385 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Jet + bact + shield or adrenaline + ee4 + BrokenGuard

98-3 on WA.

LOL Never did something like that in any other fps ever.

I guess battlefront makes you look good even if you are not
    "Only 10% of our playerbase played old Battlefronts, so we are going to do a Battlefront, which is not a Battlefront" -Dice 2017
  • Xantos wrote: »

You cracked the code :wink:
  • Xantos
    2385 posts Member
    Balmain24 wrote: »
    Xantos wrote: »

i always knew the game was so casual, everyone can be a god with the proper loadout. But heck, i always thought CoD was the casual game by defibition, but after that i will reevaluate cod
    "Only 10% of our playerbase played old Battlefronts, so we are going to do a Battlefront, which is not a Battlefront" -Dice 2017
  • So based on my loadout and playstyle (minus the emotes) I am considered a tryhard? I do give most of my matches full effort but to exert myself is just ridiculous.

But if I fit the label then I will tryhard myself across the Battlefront as I please
    tumblr_mvemcyarmn1rslphyo1_400.gif
  • Tryhard is the lamest insult ever.

As if everyone else isn't actually trying.
    Rogue Mammal X
    (XBox One)

+1
    Psn: Jello770
  • Is there like a diehard loadout as well? Anyone running anything other than a gun could be called a try hard IMO, whatever that even means. I mean hey, leave the starcards and traits at home and let's see who's the tryhards and/or diehards.
  • I'm a try hard and I aim for the face
    PSN : BIG_JAY_ALLDAY it should have been this way day 1
  • zoodc
    1958 posts Member
    I guess I'm glad that by your definition I'm not a try hard, but at this point, anyone calling people try hards, noobs, and any other gaming insults are pathetic. This game has no focus on team play and the devs are practically nonexistent. If you're getting worked up over a player than you're taking it way too seriously.
  • I guess I am a try hard then. I roll all over since I play claw. I wouldn't even say that is me going try hard though you just get used to jump rolling after a while and it becomes as easy as walking. It's faster then sprinting so I just do that to get around.
  • A "No Try" mad about the "Try Hards". :D :D :D :D
    luke.png
  • Ha
    Every so often I would run into what I'd like to refer to as a "try hard". In the typical scenario, the "try hard" would spam roll towards an enemy player, and spam him with his OP load out. While the victim is watching his kill cam helplessly, the "try hard", depending on how salty he is, would intimidate his victim with an emote, before spam rolling towards his next prey.

My theory: I will be listing the typical star cards, weapons and traits you would find in a "try hard" load out, and see if you notice any pattern.

Star Cards: Disruption, Bowcaster, Pulse Cannon, Jump Pack, Bacta Bomb, Personal Shield, Shock Grenade

Notice anything?
    In case you didn't, I will retype the list, but this time, anything added as part of a free update or DLC will be removed from this list.

Seems less intimidating now, doesn't it? Keep in mind that rolling was added as part of a free update alongside the Outer Rim DLC.

Without the weapons and star cards that came with free updates and DLCs, there wouldn't be much "try hard" left in the list given above. What are your thoughts on this? If you, just like me, have encountered a "try hard", keep in mind the list above, and understand that there is a difference between these kinds of players and good players.

Now, here is my question: How should one avoid these "try hards"? Good players like Matthew Serna (who I barely see roll in his videos) tend to get good K/Ds without having to deal with these players.

lol...I'm that guy. But "Try-Hard"? no. I just like to sometimes taunt before I kill me prey.
  • bfloo
    15529 posts Member
    As long as people aren't hacking, any card in the game is fair game to use.

If you refuse to switch your load out to counter people, then they deserve to kill you every time.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

Have to agree with Lord Snoop here. Maybe you should become a tryhard too if you keep getting killed by more skilled players.

i always knew the game was so casual, everyone can be a god with the proper loadout. But heck, i always thought CoD was the casual game by defibition, but after that i will reevaluate cod

Exactly. COD has an infinitely more skilled playerbase than this game. Compared to this, COD is the pinnacle of FPS shooters.
  • Zedrux
    401 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    I only use rolling for evasive maneuvering while in combat or for utilizing its speed to get to places quicker.
  • Xantos
    2385 posts Member

Exactly. COD has an infinitely more skilled playerbase than this game. Compared to this, COD is the pinnacle of FPS shooters.

Some months ago i would have laughed, now, i just believe you.

Some months ago i would have laughed, now, i just believe you.

:lol: :lol:
  • SSJSnoop
    2036 posts Member
    edited January 2017

Have to agree with Lord Snoop here. Maybe you should become a tryhard too if you keep getting killed by more skilled players.

lol

But as others have said, "tryhard" is one of the s-tup-idest and saltiest gaming insults ever created by kids.

Its a ridiculous excuse for getting mad at being beaten. Accept defeat like a man.
  • Xantos
    2385 posts Member

lol

But as others have said, "tryhard" is one of the s-tup-idest and saltiest gaming insults ever created by kids.

Its a ridiculous excuse for getting mad at being beaten. Accept defeat like a man.

I accept my death, but i won't if you need shock grenade and explosive shot, because that means you miss both the arms.
  • Every so often I would run into what I'd like to refer to as a "try hard". In the typical scenario, the "try hard" would spam roll towards an enemy player, and spam him with his OP load out. While the victim is watching his kill cam helplessly, the "try hard", depending on how salty he is, would intimidate his victim with an emote, before spam rolling towards his next prey.

Notice anything?

Best way of dealing with overconfident emoters is to kill them and emote back. I got a guy the other day after he got the jump on me once at the beginning of a game that I'd only just joined (and not traited up). I proceeded to kill him 3 or 4 times over the remainder of the match emoting him back every. single. time. I use the "I can't hear you" and laugh emotes specifically for those ***** bags, as they often go on a rage and usually either get their ***** handed to them or they rage quit. Nothing is more satisfying for me than getting an emoting *****.

Sometimes they are good and we'll trade quite a bit (fortunately his one wasn't but seemed he was in a clan of jump bowcasters so was a good tough battle).
  • After scrolling through the replies, I find it necessary to make it clear that I refer to these kinds of players as "try hards" because I cannot find any other appropriate term to describe them. This post was not as much aimed to attack "try hards" as much as it is to explain to other players my theory as to how they do it, while also pointing out to dice that most of what these players use are what was added later on into the game (including rolling). Some people suggested countering these "try hards" by using a similar load out, but that's exactly what I'm against doing. I've had amazing k/d's with just the E-11. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my post.
  • If they're an extreme try hard I consider thinking they're a sweaty player.
  • The people who rage are the actual tryhards because they are trying so hard to win they get mad when they lose(i.e. OP)..