criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

We need Skirmish/Instant Action mode in Battlefront (2017)

Prev1
It's awesome that we are getting a campaign mode in EA's next Battlefront installment. Many fans are quite pleased with this. However, here are some fantastic reasons why the Devs shouldn't stop there regarding the single-player content. In short, a campaign is a scripted experience (Meaning if there is only a story mode mission where you can play as Luke on the Death Star, it looks like you'll only be able to take control of Luke for THAT specific mission only)

Skirmish/Instant Action allows players who play offline to really shape their Star Wars experience and truly create that sand box experience that players want in Star Wars. @Sledgehammer70 @FireWall @Firewall17 @TheVestalViking

We NEED Offline Galactic Assault (Where the objectives are suitable for the AI and where the ENTIRE large scale maps are utilized by both the player and AI), Vehicle AI to fight against in large scale battles offline, and of course SA Offline.
#soloplayersmatter #singleplayersmatter #offlinegamersmatter

Replies

  • +many
    rWnfFLl.gif
  • Keep dreaming, bud.
    “Until we reach the last edge, the last opening, the last star, and can go no higher.”
    Rest in peace, Carrie Fisher.
  • Darkaid
    9643 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Darkaid wrote: »
    Keep dreaming, bud.

    Inb4 someone writes me an essay about "Why We Need Skirmish in EAfront 2!!!!".
    “Until we reach the last edge, the last opening, the last star, and can go no higher.”
    Rest in peace, Carrie Fisher.
  • we better be getting instant action, not this shoddy piece of shiit
  • Jrob122 wrote: »
    we better be getting instant action, not this shoddy piece of shiit

    And maybe Conquest mode. Better AI would be appreciated, since AI in Skirmish are incompetent.
    “Until we reach the last edge, the last opening, the last star, and can go no higher.”
    Rest in peace, Carrie Fisher.
  • Darkaid wrote: »
    Jrob122 wrote: »
    we better be getting instant action, not this shoddy piece of shiit

    And maybe Conquest mode. Better AI would be appreciated, since AI in Skirmish are incompetent.

    200w.gif
  • I fear they're putting more effort into the campaign than skirmish, which the campaign will most likely be just replaying the movie battles
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg
  • Anoh
    8380 posts Member
    Jrob122 wrote: »
    Darkaid wrote: »
    Jrob122 wrote: »
    we better be getting instant action, not this shoddy piece of shiit

    And maybe Conquest mode. Better AI would be appreciated, since AI in Skirmish are incompetent.

    200w.gif

    :joy: !!
    Editor/Cinematographer - Anoh is pronounced: AhNo.
  • Darkaid wrote: »
    Darkaid wrote: »
    Keep dreaming, bud.

    Inb4 someone writes me an essay about "Why We Need Skirmish in EAfront 2!!!!".

    What is this???? No one wrote me an essay????? I'm surprised.
    “Until we reach the last edge, the last opening, the last star, and can go no higher.”
    Rest in peace, Carrie Fisher.
  • We've all written 10 essays each and now that no offline updates are confirmed for this game most of us have been sticking to single paragraphs. I'm sure an essay will pop up in time.
  • We've all written 10 essays each and now that no offline updates are confirmed for this game most of us have been sticking to single paragraphs. I'm sure an essay will pop up in time.

    @Jarrad usually writes essays to get his point across. In due time.
    “Until we reach the last edge, the last opening, the last star, and can go no higher.”
    Rest in peace, Carrie Fisher.
  • Blazur
    4461 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Blah blah blah. How many of your posts need to get locked before you get the hint? Spam less plz k thx bye. This is getting pathetic.
    Post edited by Blazur on
    The greatest teacher, failure is.
  • Blazur wrote: »
    Blah blah blah. How many of your posts need to get locked before you get the hint? Spam less plz k thx bye. This is getting pathetic.

    Are you ok?
  • 2000sGuy wrote: »
    I fear they're putting more effort into the campaign than skirmish, which the campaign will most likely be just replaying the movie battles

    That's one thing I'm a little nervous about. Not saying that's a bad idea, but we already know how those battles play out/end.
    We NEED Offline Galactic Assault (Where the objectives are suitable for the AI and where the ENTIRE large scale maps are utilized by both the player and AI), Vehicle AI to fight against in large scale battles offline, and of course SA Offline.
    #soloplayersmatter #singleplayersmatter #offlinegamersmatter
  • bfloo
    14083 posts Member
    Since they will be creating ai for the campaign, they should be able to move them right over to skirmish.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

    Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

    h846398gb27k.png


  • bfloo wrote: »
    Since they will be creating ai for the campaign, they should be able to move them right over to skirmish.

    Agreed. I suppose it's a matter of any of the DEV teams wanting to bother to make substantial single-player content. It's likely they will meet lot of the popular requests due to the mixed reception of the first game, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did exactly that, as the AI will likely be incredibly improved. And by 'incredibly' I mean they won't stink as bad.
    We NEED Offline Galactic Assault (Where the objectives are suitable for the AI and where the ENTIRE large scale maps are utilized by both the player and AI), Vehicle AI to fight against in large scale battles offline, and of course SA Offline.
    #soloplayersmatter #singleplayersmatter #offlinegamersmatter
  • All content which is available online, should be available offline. Maybe with a nice offline mode like Galactic Conquest in addition. For me it's also very important that I can play split screen offline.
    For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

  • Don't forget Split-screen. More Skirmish content is a must for this game now. Unlike the previous game, DICE now have the resources and time to implement a satisfying offline experience. With an entire studio being tasked to make a Campaign, there is no longer an excuse.
  • All content which is available online, should be available offline. Maybe with a nice offline mode like Galactic Conquest in addition. For me it's also very important that I can play split screen offline.

    Indeed. Personally I could go for some Galactic Conquest in EABF2, either solo or co-op with a friend.
    To think that once I could not see beyond the veil of our reality, to see those who dwell behind.
  • thiago2103 wrote: »
    A campaign mode telling big but obscure histories such as the liberation of kahsyyk(its OT) and the battle from the novel ''lords of the sith'' Ryloth free would be AMAZING

    It would be limiting and on rails tho...idk about you, but to me, being forced to only replay the battle of hoth, as empire only, with strict liniar objectives to meet and that being the only way to replay Hoth, is pretty boring
  • Blazur wrote: »
    Blah blah blah. How many of your posts need to get locked before you get the hint? Spam less plz k thx bye. This is getting pathetic.

    Can someone whos a computer mastermind just hack this guy and annihilate his phone and/or laptop/PC already? Just to shut him up after 2 years of constant trolling???
  • bfloo
    14083 posts Member
    MandoMan wrote: »
    Don't forget Split-screen. More Skirmish content is a must for this game now. Unlike the previous game, DICE now have the resources and time to implement a satisfying offline experience. With an entire studio being tasked to make a Campaign, there is no longer an excuse.

    I don't know about the time being there.

    The time frame has me expecting another rushed mess.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

    Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

    h846398gb27k.png


  • Blazur
    4461 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Strogg1980 wrote: »
    Blazur wrote: »
    Blah blah blah. How many of your posts need to get locked before you get the hint? Spam less plz k thx bye. This is getting pathetic.

    Can someone whos a computer mastermind just hack this guy and annihilate his phone and/or laptop/PC already? Just to shut him up after 2 years of constant trolling???

    Irony. Can you all stop whining about this game not having SP content? We get it...you can't hang with the big boys online.

    Some of you really need to get a grip, and that goes for the OP. With the amount of effort you've invested in spamming forums and social media you could have played through several SP games. http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/forums/discussion/62949/skirmish
    Post edited by Blazur on
    The greatest teacher, failure is.
  • Yes. As I have said, if they don't have a skirmish mode with NO BUGS like the half tested disappointment they pooped out on us last time, then they HAVE NOT BEEN LISTENING TO US! They need to do this, all maps, modes, ERAS, (including CLONE WARS) at launch.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good forum post kid.
  • Blazur wrote: »
    Strogg1980 wrote: »
    Blazur wrote: »
    Blah blah blah. How many of your posts need to get locked before you get the hint? Spam less plz k thx bye. This is getting pathetic.

    Can someone whos a computer mastermind just hack this guy and annihilate his phone and/or laptop/PC already? Just to shut him up after 2 years of constant trolling???

    Irony. Can you all stop whining about this game not having SP content? We get it...you can't hang with the big boys online.

    Some of you really need to get a grip, and that goes for the OP.
    The OP is merely trying to get EA to see and listen. They need to seriously try and do fans justice.

    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good forum post kid.
  • Blazur wrote: »
    Strogg1980 wrote: »
    Blazur wrote: »
    Blah blah blah. How many of your posts need to get locked before you get the hint? Spam less plz k thx bye. This is getting pathetic.

    Can someone whos a computer mastermind just hack this guy and annihilate his phone and/or laptop/PC already? Just to shut him up after 2 years of constant trolling???

    Irony. Can you all stop whining about this game not having SP content? We get it...you can't hang with the big boys online.

    Some of you really need to get a grip, and that goes for the OP. With the amount of effort you've invested in spamming forums and social media you could have played through several SP games. http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/forums/discussion/62949/skirmish

    Or you could have some empathy for fellow gamers like other mostly online players on here. Most people would say "hey, I dont play too much offline, but i think all Star Wars fans should be able to enjoy this game anyways, especially if past games had it". Only a spoiled millenial or an immature adult who hasnt gotten a **** in a loooooonnnngggg time (i thought you were the former but the latters looking more and more the case now) has unnecessary hate towards fans who want to get treated fairly. Especially considering without US who played those old games, you wouldnt even be here

    And yeah, I cant hang with the "Big boys" online, considering this game has been largely forgotten online haha!! What a strong online communtiy this has......Cant hold a candle to REAL online Monsters like Halo or Battlefield, please.
  • All content which is available online, should be available offline. Maybe with a nice offline mode like Galactic Conquest in addition. For me it's also very important that I can play split screen offline.
    MandoMan wrote: »
    Don't forget Split-screen. More Skirmish content is a must for this game now. Unlike the previous game, DICE now have the resources and time to implement a satisfying offline experience. With an entire studio being tasked to make a Campaign, there is no longer an excuse.

    These and hero AI would make the game epic.
    I am the same user as Elimelech401, that account was not tied to the game. I am hoping for more Skirmish with split screen and hero AI.
  • Blazur
    4461 posts Member
    Strogg1980 wrote: »
    Or you could have some empathy for fellow gamers like other mostly online players on here.

    Empathy and entitlement don't mix. Anybody who NEEDS Sp content to the point you need to spam all vocal channels endlessly NEEDS to find their butts a different game.

    But I digress...see you in BF2! With or without skirmish (most likely the latter).
    The greatest teacher, failure is.
  • ELIMELECH0401
    1205 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    joeybmx7 wrote: »
    It's awesome that we are getting a campaign mode in EA's next Battlefront installment. Many fans are quite pleased with this. However, here are some fantastic reasons why the Devs shouldn't stop there regarding the single-player content. In short, a campaign is a scripted experience (Meaning if there is only a story mode mission where you can play as Luke on the Death Star, it looks like you'll only be able to take control of Luke for THAT specific mission only)

    Skirmish/Instant Action allows players who play offline to really shape their Star Wars experience and truly create that sand box experience that players want in Star Wars. @Sledgehammer70 @FireWall @Firewall17 @TheVestalViking


    Video and post are spot on!
    I am the same user as Elimelech401, that account was not tied to the game. I am hoping for more Skirmish with split screen and hero AI.
  • Strogg1980
    2559 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Blazur wrote: »
    Strogg1980 wrote: »
    Or you could have some empathy for fellow gamers like other mostly online players on here.

    Empathy and entitlement don't mix. Anybody who NEEDS Sp content to the point you need to spam all vocal channels endlessly NEEDS to find their butts a different game.

    But I digress...see you in BF2! With or without skirmish (most likely the latter).

    Entitlement is nonexsitant in this arguement. It was a core draw for this game series.
    Previous games had it, and as i said, without those of us who played the old games for that reason ( dont kid yourself Coop and IA WAS the draw) you wouldnt be here.

    But hey keep ignoring us, this series will be finished by 3 then. Its online MP players couldnt keep the game afloat as we all saw last title.

    Heck i know many people who play MP games that liked star wars and played this, thought it wasnt anything special and went back to other games/new games
  • Blazur wrote: »
    Strogg1980 wrote: »
    Or you could have some empathy for fellow gamers like other mostly online players on here.

    Empathy and entitlement don't mix. Anybody who NEEDS Sp content to the point you need to spam all vocal channels endlessly NEEDS to find their butts a different game.

    But I digress...see you in BF2! With or without skirmish (most likely the latter).
    They have to put it in. They know that we wanted it in the first game so they pooped out a half tested version. They know our "NEEDS" in order to make this a real successor to the original battlefront franchise, rather than some clumsy poorly made one with no offline content.

    They have obviously listened to us, giving us a campaign mode, but I see no reason not to include a single player with bots like people EXPECTED from EA's first attempt at battlefront.

    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good forum post kid.
  • That video is spot-on. For me and everyone who played the original Battlefront games by Pandemic, the presence or absence of Instant Action is the determining factor when deciding whether or not to buy the sequel. A single-player story campaign is nice, but it's Skirmish/Instant Action that will give the game longevity and keep players coming back for more... especially if it gets full DLC support this time.

    Right now, it's already becoming harder and harder to find matches in Battlefront 2015, and it's only going to get worse with no more content updates planned. I don't want the same thing to happen to the sequel... and chances are that the game will have a very low population at launch whether or not it has Instant Action.

    If it doesn't have Instant Action, very few people will buy the game or otherwise play it for long. If it does have Instant Action, the majority of players will choose to play that over the online multiplayer... but that's just how it is. Pandemic's Star Wars: Battlefront was never popular for it's multiplayer; it was all about Instant Action and Galactic Conquest.
    * * *

    Arcade mode needs 20v20 and starfighter battles for Battlefront II!!!


    #soloplayersmatter #singleplayersmatter #offlinegamersmatter
  • That video is spot-on. For me and everyone who played the original Battlefront games by Pandemic, the presence or absence of Instant Action is the determining factor when deciding whether or not to buy the sequel. A single-player story campaign is nice, but it's Skirmish/Instant Action that will give the game longevity and keep players coming back for more... especially if it gets full DLC support this time.

    Right now, it's already becoming harder and harder to find matches in Battlefront 2015, and it's only going to get worse with no more content updates planned. I don't want the same thing to happen to the sequel... and chances are that the game will have a very low population at launch whether or not it has Instant Action.
    I agree, they MUST put it in.

    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good forum post kid.
  • I'm sellin my Xbox one to get an Xbox 360 because I find all the games on there to be COMPLETE
  • Aris1368
    371 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    I would prefer to pay for a Battlefront with only a FULL Skirmish than having a Campaign and Multiplayer.I dont have the time to play a lot to rank up and Campaign gets boring-repetitive after a few plays, so Skirmish is all it takes to buy Battlefront 2 for me.I hope they implement it ALTHOUGH I know they wont.Its the same formula as Battlefield 1 where they have a Campaign to please people who want single player content and thats it.
    You may not believe this, but you just wasted 3 seconds reading this™
  • gistech
    131 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    I have not posted in a long time because for the past two months I haven't actually owned Battlefront since January and have only recently decided to re-purchase it (and only because it was at a much lower pirce). I found myself disgusted that DICE strung us all along for a while with maybes then said "actually, we're not doing anything with it after all" rather than just coming out from the off and saying "this is all we can do, we're going to be working on the DLC/next game".

    Part of my frustrations with the game also come from the complete unfulfilment of potential this game had.

    The simple fact of the matter is that DICE chose to invoke the Battlefront name. If they did not want the comparisons to the past Battlefront titles, all of which had single player Instant Action modes, then they should have chosen a different name. Some people came over from non Star Wars games and just plain don't seem to get that. Yes, I know full-well there will be those that simply say "why don't you go back to those games?" The truth is: EA does not want us to just "go back to those games". Where's the money in that for them? Consider this: EA knowingly targeted the old core audience by invoking the name. They knew that fans of the Battlefront franchise had been waiting since the home console/PC release of the previous game, Star Wars: Battlefront II, for a new title (that wasn't a portable console title). They have made a Battlefront game, and they'll be making more. Do they risk alienating the existing Battlefront fanbase, or try to get them on side?

    I think they'd rather the 'old guard' be on their side more than anything else, so a better single player component is a must for that to happen.

    I won't say I "Need" it per se, but I think future games need it to keep the older fanbase.
  • Strogg1980
    2559 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    gistech wrote: »
    I have not posted in a long time because for the past two months I haven't actually owned Battlefront since January and have only recently decided to re-purchase it (and only because it was at a much lower pirce). I found myself disgusted that DICE strung us all along for a while with maybes then said "actually, we're not doing anything with it after all" rather than just coming out from the off and saying "this is all we can do, we're going to be working on the DLC/next game".

    Part of my frustrations with the game also come from the complete unfulfilment of potential this game had.

    The simple fact of the matter is that DICE chose to invoke the Battlefront name. If they did not want the comparisons to the past Battlefront titles, all of which had single player Instant Action modes, then they should have chosen a different name. Some people came over from non Star Wars games and just plain don't seem to get that. Yes, I know full-well there will be those that simply say "why don't you go back to those games?" The truth is: EA does not want us to just "go back to those games". Where's the money in that for them? Consider this: EA knowingly targeted the old core audience by invoking the name. They knew that fans of the Battlefront franchise had been waiting since the home console/PC release of the previous game, Star Wars: Battlefront II, for a new title (that wasn't a portable console title). They have made a Battlefront game, and they'll be making more. Do they risk alienating the existing Battlefront fanbase, or try to get them on side?

    I think they'd rather the 'old guard' be on their side more than anything else, so a better single player component is a must for that to happen.

    I won't say I "Need" it per se, but I think future games need it to keep the older fanbase.

    agreed. I've said this since 2015 that there would be no complaints and everyone would have moved on peacefully if they said from the beginning "Battlefield: Star Wars" or "Battlefield-The Galactic Civil War". but when you take up the name of something and cut a large chunk of the old fans out by cutting out a major reason people played the series in the first place??? Thats unacceptable.
    Its like if Blizzard released a Starcraft game and said "yeah your not gonna be able to play Skirmish or Online anymore, its just a story based game now that has co-op". Or if Halo removed all the weapons, Aliens, and characters relating to the Covenant
  • Blazur
    4461 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Strogg1980 wrote: »
    agreed. I've said this since 2015 that there would be no complaints and everyone would have moved on peacefully if they said from the beginning "Battlefield: Star Wars" or "Battlefield-The Galactic Civil War". but when you take up the name of something and cut a large chunk of the old fans out by cutting out a major reason people played the series in the first place??? Thats unacceptable.
    Its like if Blizzard released a Starcraft game and said "yeah your not gonna be able to play Skirmish or Online anymore, its just a story based game now that has co-op". Or if Halo removed all the weapons, Aliens, and characters relating to the Covenant

    That's ****. A name doesn't make a game, it's what's inside the package that counts. When Blizzard was working on StarCraft:Ghost, would you have bought the game expecting it to be an RTS? Would you have bought World of Warcraft and also assumed it to be an RTS just because it had Warcraft in the title? Or would you do the responsible thing and actually investigate what the game was to see if you'd be disappointed before buying the game? This argument is ridiculous, lol.

    Don't blame DICE for choosing the focus of this game. Blame yourselves for not knowing what you were getting before sinking the money on it. Just because old games FROM A DECADE AGO by A DIFFERENT DEVELOPER had SP it doesn't mean this one NEEDS it. Give me a break. The game did well enough on its own without SP despite your frustrations.

    Skirmish sucks. DICE needs to do the right thing and ignore all the haters and use their talents for something more worthwhile.
    The greatest teacher, failure is.
  • CPT_Rex
    725 posts Member
    Blazur wrote: »
    ...Skirmish sucks...

    Skirmish sucks because it was made by 3 whole people. They have a dedicated singleplayer team now. They can and should make it what it should have been.
    Blazur wrote: »
    ...DICE needs to do the right thing and ignore all the haters and use their talents for something more worthwhile...

    You keep hating on the possibility of more singleplayer content so wouldn't that make you a hater? Who are you to say more singleplayer content isn't worthwhile? It'd certainly be worthwhile to me and just about everybody else on this thread.
    "In my book, experience outranks everything."
  • Agreed #SoloPlayersMatter
  • 2000sGuy
    5843 posts Member
    CPT_Rex wrote: »
    Blazur wrote: »
    ...Skirmish sucks...

    Skirmish sucks because it was made by 3 whole people. They have a dedicated singleplayer team now. They can and should make it what it should have been.
    Blazur wrote: »
    ...DICE needs to do the right thing and ignore all the haters and use their talents for something more worthwhile...

    You keep hating on the possibility of more singleplayer content so wouldn't that make you a hater? Who are you to say more singleplayer content isn't worthwhile? It'd certainly be worthwhile to me and just about everybody else on this thread.

    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg
  • Darkaid
    9643 posts Member
    LordByrney wrote: »
    Agreed #SoloPlayersMatter

    But not in this game.....
    “Until we reach the last edge, the last opening, the last star, and can go no higher.”
    Rest in peace, Carrie Fisher.
  • It's one of those things I'm glad you're getting because I know it matters to a lot of people, but I'm not too interested in shooting bots.
  • bfloo
    14083 posts Member
    If the servers are going to be this bad again, I want skirmish to be able to play lag free.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

    Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

    h846398gb27k.png


  • I am sure that the devs heard you and discussed a lot about the offline multiplayer (split screen etc. like in BF II (2005)).
    The reason why they didn't develop it any further in this game is, that it hadn't enough depth and complexity for people to play it even offline. If the devs used the feedback (not just saying that they are listening #DennisYouFailed4Times ) for BF 2 (2017) then there will be place for a Skirmish mode. If the next game is casual like this then the Skimirsh mode is lost.
    For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

  • Lonnisity
    1941 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Blazur wrote: »
    That's ****.

    Whatever your thoughts on what this franchise should be, the insults need to stop.

    giphy.gif
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • Blazur
    4461 posts Member
    Lonnisity wrote: »
    Blazur wrote: »
    That's ****.
    Whatever your thoughts on what this franchise should be, the insults need to stop.

    I thought you were taking a break from this community?
    Lonnisity wrote: »
    Hey man. I just wanted to offer you an apology, both on behalf of myself and of SPM. Ultimately, as much as we (they) don't want to admit it, you are right. We (they) are fighting for something that we really don't have a whole lot of right to fight for. DICE made this game for a specific audience, and many past Battlefront players just so happened to not fit the criteria. This game was made for people who love multiplayer shooters, and at the end of the day, that's not really my style.

    So, I'm personally deciding to take your advice and not play, which includes taking a break from the community at large. Once everything is said and done, and all the expansions, free content, tweaks, and gameplay updates have been launched, I'll do my research, evaluate the re-investment, and take it from there. It's just getting too crazy around here.
    The greatest teacher, failure is.
  • ELIMELECH0401
    1205 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    I am thankful for the Skirmish we got in EA SWBF and looking forward to a completely fleshed out mode in EA SWBF 2. Split screen modes are worth while.
    I am the same user as Elimelech401, that account was not tied to the game. I am hoping for more Skirmish with split screen and hero AI.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!