criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Game Update
Forest of Endor

DICE, don't forget that the prequels were disliked by many people.

Replies

• ATE_ARMS wrote: »
    ATE_ARMS wrote: »
    This topic reminds me of why I dislike OT purists. The deluded sense of entitlement.

Show me an unfair, entitled comment that I've made that wasn't backed up with reason.

Probably the part where think the pt shouldn't be in due to the mere fact that it triggers you. It doesn't matter how many overzealous tirades you go on, if people want it in the company will answer them. So you're not left with much "reason" but senseless whining.

Ironic as you are the one instantly triggered and whining due to somebody's opinion.

Did I ever say..other than some offhand, lighthearted comments, that there should be no PT?

You may need to look up the definition of whining because addressing why your "reasoning" is wrong ain't close to it.

Perhaps you don't remember but I can clearly read in your first post that certain characters shouldn't be in because they do indeed trigger you.

Show me, specifically, where I said there should be no PT.

It was implied, especially here.

"nobody should want to see shocka Tandy fighting, vader, or whatever, so let's dead that now and possibly resurrect it in ten years time or something. Same with anakin, who's performance in the films was awful and who's inclusion in this game would actually detract from it."
  • Hahaha I HATED Anakin in the films but please,explain how a character with limited lines, more than likely with a different voice actor, can effect the gameplay itself
  • 2000sGuy
    5855 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Strogg1980 wrote: »
    My advice to OP...skip prequal maps

At the end of the day this^
    I did not enjoy TFa, but I won't lie, I'm at least a bit interested in playing on SKB or Tako. May of been bad for the film, but this is a game. Plus, T-bagging a dead Rey will be great. Envision yourself T-bagging a dead Ahsoka

Remember, just because YOU did not enjoy something, think about others and how they enjoy it, and while it's okay to share your opinion, just remember this
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg
  • 2000sGuy wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    BattleFront is a war game. I can understand not liking the movies, but how could you not want to fight the Clone Wars, which are mentioned in ANH.
    It would be minimal for me, but some people love clones. Let them have their fun.

Stop saying no to content. We want more, not less.

Fair comment man, I just don't want the game being heavily PT focused as the whole era was poor, its nothing personal to anyone, and all IMO, of course.

I'm more worried about it being heavily ST focused than PT focused.

i don't think we have to worry about that. Most likely the only planets we'll get from st are the three from tfa, maybe last jedi as DLC but that's not likely.

The OT was mostly covered in the last game (albeit poorly)

And they still have multiple planets to delve into from the pt

I think TLJ as free DLC is highly likely. The pre-order bonus is TLJ costumes for Rey and Kylo, which I suspect is just early access for those that pre-order, and we've seen that Crait will feature a major Walker Assault-type battle, plus there's the space battle above some greenish-blue planet which could also be new, so I think there's a very good chance we'll get TLJ content.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu
  • bfloo wrote: »
    If only the devs would have a sense of humor and give Anakin an 'I hate sand!' emote. B)

I think this should happen when he spawns in on sand maps (e.g. Tatooine) and he gives his whole "I don't like sand" line from episode II. I also think he should scream "I hate you!" when he dies, it would be so awesome!
    This topic reminds me of why I dislike OT purists. The deluded sense of entitlement.

Show me an unfair, entitled comment that I've made that wasn't backed up with reason.

Probably the part where think the pt shouldn't be in due to the mere fact that it triggers you. It doesn't matter how many overzealous tirades you go on, if people want it in the company will answer them. So you're not left with much "reason" but senseless whining.

Ironic as you are the one instantly triggered and whining due to somebody's opinion.

Did I ever say..other than some offhand, lighthearted comments, that there should be no PT?

You may need to look up the definition of whining because addressing why your "reasoning" is wrong ain't close to it.

Perhaps you don't remember but I can clearly read in your first post that certain characters shouldn't be in because they do indeed trigger you.

Show me, specifically, where I said there should be no PT.

It was implied, especially here.

"nobody should want to see shocka Tandy fighting, vader, or whatever, so let's dead that now and possibly resurrect it in ten years time or something. Same with anakin, who's performance in the films was awful and who's inclusion in this game would actually detract from it."

You stated I said there should be no PT, then quoted me where I apparently 'implied' it, but completely ignored this comment before it:

"Tbh I was certain there would be no cw/pt era in the game. I'm glad there is, it was definitely the right move for numerous reasons and I really hope we get general grievous."

Give up.
  • 2000sGuy
    5855 posts Member
    2000sGuy wrote: »
    BattleFront is a war game. I can understand not liking the movies, but how could you not want to fight the Clone Wars, which are mentioned in ANH.
    It would be minimal for me, but some people love clones. Let them have their fun.

Stop saying no to content. We want more, not less.

Fair comment man, I just don't want the game being heavily PT focused as the whole era was poor, its nothing personal to anyone, and all IMO, of course.

I'm more worried about it being heavily ST focused than PT focused.

i don't think we have to worry about that. Most likely the only planets we'll get from st are the three from tfa, maybe last jedi as DLC but that's not likely.

The OT was mostly covered in the last game (albeit poorly)

And they still have multiple planets to delve into from the pt

I think TLJ as free DLC is highly likely. The pre-order bonus is TLJ costumes for Rey and Kylo, which I suspect is just early access for those that pre-order, and we've seen that Crait will feature a major Walker Assault-type battle, plus there's the space battle above some greenish-blue planet which could also be new, so I think there's a very good chance we'll get TLJ content.

Yea, but I don't think we'll get everything like the Crait planet or Ach Too. That's why I'm not too worried
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg
  • 2000sGuy wrote: »

I did not enjoy TFa, but I won't lie, I'm at least a bit interested in playing on SKB or Tako. May of been bad for the film, but this is a game. Plus, T-bagging a dead Rey will be great. Envision yourself T-bagging a dead Ahsoka

Remember, just because YOU did not enjoy something, think about others and how they enjoy it, and while it's okay to share your opinion, just remember this

This topics taken the predictable turn of people commenting without comprehending the point of the thread. I mention numerous times how I understand peoples affinity towards the pt. Re read the thread man.
  • 2000sGuy
    5855 posts Member

This topics taken the predictable turn of people commenting without comprehending the point of the thread. I mention numerous times how I understand peoples affinity towards the pt. Re read the thread man.

You did say you understood, but you did also say that you don't think anybody would know who ahsoka tano or commander cody are.
    Well everytime i go on twitter I see quite a few Ahsoka Tano accounts, and Cody is a favorite among many, myself included.
    While casuals wouldn't know, SW fans would, and we are the primary demographic. After all, Casuals wouldn't suggest classes or Real space battles
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg
  • Are you kidding? No anakin? Star Wars is ALL ABOUT anakin and how he becomes darth vader to then turn good again. He is if not the most iconic, a very important and crucial part of the universe and should be in this game aswell!
  • DaKessla wrote: »
    Are you kidding? No anakin? Star Wars is ALL ABOUT anakin and how he becomes darth vader to then turn good again. He is if not the most iconic, a very important and crucial part of the universe and should be in this game aswell!

I agree. I always thought of the story of Star Wars about being about the Skywalker family, with the father being a major hero that turns evil, and his son having to redeem him for his sins and turn him back to the light at the end again. I kind of think of it like Anakin and Luke are two halves to the same character in a way, with each choice that one makes affecting the other (Anakin affecting Luke in the future, and Luke affecting Vader and causing him to become Anakin once more)

The point of the thread was to say that certain elements of the PT which you regard as hated or unknown shouldn't be included because of your own personal opinion. Saying that Anakin shouldn't be included just because his portrayal in the PT films was poor and that this would "detract" from the quality is way off-base. He is a character in Star Wars and is far more than just one portrayal by a wooden actor in a poor film. That's like saying that Batman is a terrible character because of how George Clooney portrayed him in Batman and Robin. You're looking at a narrow window of the character's total life and not seeing the whole picture. Yes, the PT wasn't good to him, but he's still Anakin "future Vader" Skywalker and he's an extremely important character.
    Also, FYI, Ahoska DID fight Vader in Rebels season 2, so I don't think that "nobody should want to see shocka Tandy fighting, vader" because we already did, and we would very much like to see it again.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu
  • What a pointless thread.
  • Hey man kid fister is my favorite character so you better watch out
  • Jrob122
    4638 posts Member
    Can you please explain the point of this thread? They're in the game whether you like it or not :) I despise TFA with all my heart but you don't see me complaining that it's in the game
  • Darkaid
    9643 posts Member
    People still hating on the Prequels in 2017....lol.
    “Until we reach the last edge, the last opening, the last star, and can go no higher.”
    Rest in peace, Carrie Fisher.
  • SAmulticore
    3323 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Darkaid wrote: »
    People still hating on the Prequels in 2017....lol.

Still burns man :)

I think Darth Maul himself summed it all up;

I feel like this needed to be said as there are a lot of over exuberant fans who would happily see this become a prequel only game. I know people grew up with those films, nostalgia and all that, but they ranged from very poor to decent and aren't the centre of the star wars universe some people would have you believe.

Tbh I was certain there would be no cw/pt era in the game. I'm glad there is, it was definitely the right move for numerous reasons and I really hope we get general grievous.

I keep seeing cw era fans pushing though, for heroes such as that shocka Tandy girl, kid fister and commander cod. Nobody really knows who these people are, and unless you have unlimited resources, I reckon your time is better spent elsewhere

In fact, regardless of resources, nobody should want to see shocka Tandy fighting, vader, or whatever, so let's dead that now and possibly resurrect it in ten years time or something. Same with anakin, who's performance in the films was awful and who's inclusion in this game would actually detract from it.

Anyway, the game looks like its shaping up very nicely, so happy easter all :)

I can understand not liking the prequels but for my part,star wars would be incomplete without them.
    I really like the prequels,unfortunately it seems to me there is a thing going on where it is popular to
    dislike them bandwagon style.I am not jumping on though.
    There are movies I watch now that I liked as a kid that I no longer do and vice versa,so nostalgia is not all I would say.
    I have been hoping and wishing for prequel stuff to reappear since the last games.
    In fact I would love if one of the games were prequel/clone wars only.one original,one the recent ones and one mix.
    I like the originals and force awakens just as much.
    I especially liked anakin in the films,he went from being naive,overly enthusiastic to angry and hateful.
    I think he brought forth amazing emotionality to it all.
  • "lukewarm wrote:
    I really like the prequels,unfortunately it seems to me there is a thing going on where it is popular to
    dislike them bandwagon style.I

I mean this totally amicably, but you've got that part wrong. It isn't a new bandwagon, it's the old consensus.

No-one liked them. Original Star Wars fans, critics, even the actors themselves. They were ridiculed on tv shows, in magazines, 'the prequels being bad' was a big thing. My Star Wars loving friends at about 18 years old when TPM came out, just like most people of that age and older just sat there thinking 'WAT?' throughout the roll out of the whole trilogy.

The Clone Wars love is the new phenomenon, and it's happened because while the world was hating them, the young viewers who weren't raging on message boards were sitting in front of screens enjoying the spectacle, and millions of them are now adults.

• "lukewarm wrote:

I mean this totally amicably, but you've got that part wrong. It isn't a new bandwagon, it's the old consensus.

No-one liked them. Original Star Wars fans, critics, even the actors themselves. They were ridiculed on tv shows, in magazines, 'the prequels being bad' was a big thing. My Star Wars loving friends at about 18 years old when TPM came out, just like most people of that age and older just sat there thinking 'WAT?' throughout the roll out of the whole trilogy.

The Clone Wars love is the new phenomenon, and it's happened because while the world was hating them, the young viewers who weren't raging on message boards were sitting in front of screens enjoying the spectacle, and millions of them are now adults.

I understand not liking the films, I however love them. But you can't deny those battle scenes in the films were amazing and would make for seriously good gameplay.
  • Strogg1980
    2571 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    ^^ @SAmulticore theres also plenty of us who like the era but think the films were utter trash
  • "lukewarm wrote:

Yeah, I was going to say. The bandwagon isn't the "hate". The standing opinion since they came out is that they suck. IF there's a bandwagon, it's this new school of nostalgia hounds, with rose tinted dvd copies of the PT getting dusty in their childhood playroom. Only recently have a significant number of internet lurkers started clamoring for that content.
    I am one with the force. The force is with Steve.
  • "lukewarm wrote:

Yeah, I was going to say. The bandwagon isn't the "hate". The standing opinion since they came out is that they suck. IF there's a bandwagon, it's this new school of nostalgia hounds, with rose tinted dvd copies of the PT getting dusty in their childhood playroom. Only recently have a significant number of internet lurkers started clamoring for that content.

That's also unfair.
  • Whodunnit
    5578 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    ^^ @SAmulticore theres also plenty of us who like the era but think the films were utter trash

That's me. I love the idea of Clone Wars, the Jedi Order, the whole concept. Can't wait to see it in Battlefront II. But TPM and the AotC imo... oh man, those "movies"..
    Battlefront II has a 45.8% chance of success.
    sfg04pfx1l31.gif
  • DarthBatman42
    547 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Clone Wars and Episode III were awesome, no problems with content from that era.
  • "lukewarm wrote:

I understand not liking the films, I however love them. But you can't deny those battle scenes in the films were amazing and would make for seriously good gameplay.

I've actually started to come around to that way of thinking and I'm more than willing to give the eras a shot and see how it plays out. Might end up loving it, stranger things have happened.
  • "lukewarm wrote:

I've actually started to come around to that way of thinking and I'm more than willing to give the eras a shot and see how it plays out. Might end up loving it, stranger things have happened.

They were a core part of the original games, which everyone seems to love.
  • "lukewarm wrote:

That's also unfair.

It's not unfair. It's an accurate description of the past 12 years. I'm not bashing anyone. I'm just telling you the history of PT hating.

You misinterpret these kinds of comments a lot I'm noticing, and you take people's dislike of the PT very personally, as if they're not allowed to objectively look upon films as something quantifiably qualitative. You're free to like them. If they make you happy, that's great. We're also free to grade them by the standards set forth throughout the history of film, and critique.
  • "lukewarm wrote:

Start with the Clone Wars 2008 animated series. Trust me, you'll be hooked after the first episode, and want to watch at least parts of the PT alongside the show.
  • "lukewarm wrote:

That's also unfair.

It's not unfair. It's an accurate description of the past 12 years. I'm not bashing anyone. I'm just telling you the history of PT hating.

You misinterpret these kinds of comments a lot I'm noticing, and you take people's dislike of the PT very personally, as if they're not allowed to objectively look upon films as something quantifiably qualitative. You're free to like them. If they make you happy, that's great. We're also free to grade them by the standards set forth throughout the history of film, and critique.

It's not a bandwagon, it's just the people who grew up with the prequels are now old enough to voice their opinion.
  • "lukewarm wrote:

That's also unfair.

It's not a bandwagon, it's just the people who grew up with the prequels are now old enough to voice their opinion.

That's a fair assessment. I rescind my use of "bandwagon" from the proceedings, your honor. Let's call it a "Sea Change" in the climate of prequel opinion.
  • They were a core part of the original games, which everyone seems to love.

I was at University when it came out and wasn't gaming much, completely passed me by. Anyway I'm glad there's CW content in the sequel, I didn't want it but you all shouted about it long enough to deserve it :trollface:
  • Strogg1980
    2571 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    "lukewarm wrote:

That's also unfair.

And opinions can be wrong. Plain and simple. I think pouring gas and lots of oxygen on/into a fire helps, Don't bash me because I think its so, its my opinion.
    No one is saying dont like the films, i like 80s B movie horror films....but ill admit they are flawed and not masterpieces of their respective genre's.

Theres a reason Hope, Empire and Jedi are magnum opus' of cinima and sci fi and prequals are not....its got nothing to do with a few opinions either. Its because objectively and being unbias, they are excellent pieces
  • Strogg1980 wrote: »
    "lukewarm wrote:

That's also unfair.

And opinions can be wrong. Plain and simple. I think pouring gas and lots of oxygen on/into a fire helps, Don't bash me because I think its so, its my opinion.
    No one is saying dont like the films, i like 80s B movie horror films....but ill admit they are flawed and not masterpieces of their respective genre's.

Theres a reason Hope, Empire and Jedi are magnum opus' of cinima and sci fi and prequals are not....its got nothing to do with a few opinions either

I'm maybe the most excited guy in the entire world to now be able to destroy thousands and thousands of those annoying Battle Droids. I think, Day 1, if it's possible, I'm going headfirst into searching for a hero token on a CW map to grab a saber wielder and wreck as many Battle Droids as is humanly possible. I may not sleep that night.
    "lukewarm wrote:

That's also unfair.

Theres a reason Hope, Empire and Jedi are magnum opus' of cinima and sci fi and prequals are not....its got nothing to do with a few opinions either. Its because objectively and being unbias, they are excellent pieces

They are not excellent pieces either, I personally rate A New Hope as one of my least favourite Star Wars films.
  • Advise the everyone:

Ignore the OP is unreasonable and is in the minority on this matter. As they say, "Nobody hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans"
    Member of the 501st
    "lukewarm wrote:

That's also unfair.

They are not excellent pieces either, I personally rate A New Hope as one of my least favourite Star Wars films.

There's a gulf between 'your least favourite movies' and 'the worst movies' though, it didn't absolutely blow up the world of cinema for no reason.
    "lukewarm wrote:

That's also unfair.

This is entirely irrelevant to my statement.
    "lukewarm wrote:

That's also unfair.

Now you're just telling us that you have bad taste in films. Okay. Thanks for the info.
    I feel like this needed to be said as there are a lot of over exuberant fans who would happily see this become a prequel only game. I know people grew up with those films, nostalgia and all that, but they ranged from very poor to decent and aren't the centre of the star wars universe some people would have you believe.

Tbh I was certain there would be no cw/pt era in the game. I'm glad there is, it was definitely the right move for numerous reasons and I really hope we get general grievous.

I keep seeing cw era fans pushing though, for heroes such as that shocka Tandy girl, kid fister and commander cod. Nobody really knows who these people are, and unless you have unlimited resources, I reckon your time is better spent elsewhere

In fact, regardless of resources, nobody should want to see shocka Tandy fighting, vader, or whatever, so let's dead that now and possibly resurrect it in ten years time or something. Same with anakin, who's performance in the films was awful and who's inclusion in this game would actually detract from it.

I am learning so much from it.

For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

"lukewarm wrote:

That's also unfair.

There's a gulf between 'your least favourite movies' and 'the worst movies' though, it didn't absolutely blow up the world of cinema for no reason.

Yep. Major difference between "what you like" and "what is good". There are criteria by which films are judged, and which set standards for future films to be made. When we go with the participation achievement award mentality of "They're all great! Every movie is great if you like it!", we set the precedent that it's okay not to do things well. That it's okay not to try to achieve more, or work harder, or learn a difficult skill. Why try and get emotion from an actor? All we have to do is turn on a camera and have them read the lines in any voice. There, we have a movie. Why have a script make sense, when all we need are 20 lightsabers on screen at once. Ta-da! Movie.
  • Dear OT purist, the hero designer ''Guillaume Mroz'' is known to be a huge Ahsoka (Shocka Tandy) and CW fan. So don't be so disapointed when you'll get your hand on the game, at least you're warned.
    "lukewarm wrote:

That's also unfair.

It's not rated as one of my least favouite because of personal opinion (only a little bit), but because I can pick out way more stuff that is wrong in the production of the film, in script and on screen, than the Prequels

Anyway, the game looks like its shaping up very nicely, so happy easter all :)

I can see what you're getting at. There does seem to be quite a lot of excitement building up around the PT era being in the game. A lot of daydreaming about clones and jedi is happening right now.
    This is to be expected, and shouldn't cause alarm imo. Imagine things from the perspective of someone who loves the PT era. You've just been through a game that completely cut out your favorite era. It would be like if a battlefront was released that didn't have the OT at all. I would be extremely excited when the sequel finally added it back in, and would no doubt spend time daydreaming about getting to see my favorite characters/ armies return.
    While I don't consider the PT era to be my personal favorite, I believe that putting it back into battlefront was a wise move, and I'm pleased that the people that love it will be happy again. I don't think that this is going to somehow detract from the OT and ST in any way.
    Also as far as Anakin is concerned, the main problem with him and many others in the films was poor writing+acting. This need not effect a game. I doubt they'll go get Christensen and say "we've written this terrible dialogue for you, could you please read it out in the most wooden way possible for the new Battlefront?"
  • @ThePoolshark please close this thread before it gets more out of hand.
    Member of the 501st
  • Dear OT purist, the hero designer ''Guillaume Mroz'' is known to be a huge Ahsoka (Shocka Tandy) and CW fan. So don't be so disapointed when you'll get your hand on the game, at least you're warned.

I'm all for Ahsoka being in the game. I'd love to see her rendered on this engine, and she'd have some excellent special powers. Save your warning for when I'm drunk and tempted to buy a fistful of lootpacks later this year.
  • 2000sGuy
    5855 posts Member
    @ThePoolshark please close this thread before it gets more out of hand.

Too bad the @ system doesn't seem to be working
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg

Seems like it's well in hand to me. I don't see anyone being straight up disrespectful. Just a healthy dose of heated debate. Chillax.

Out of hand? I'm actually pretty pleased we're having the most civil discussion about PT v OT I've ever witnessed on this board.
  • I think OP is missing the point here.

I'll use an example - I personally despise TFA and in my opinion, it's the second worst Star Wars films to date (holiday special the first). Despite hating this movie and era with a passion, I'm still going to play any content from it. Why?

Because:

1) It's more in-game content
    2) It is nice to change eras rather than constantly playing just one (BF1's massive downfall IMO)
    3) The heroes (Kylo especially) look very fun to play.

I'm very glad we're getting sequel content. If we focus on just adding sequel and original content, it will get very dry IMO. Focusing on all three eras equally will make almost everyone happy, "OT purist" or "12-year old prequel fanboy" and would overall add alot more depth.
    Member of the 501st