criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Battle points = kill streaks??? I'm worried. Thoughts?

One of the few reasons I didn't care much for the COD series is because of kill streaks. It didn't seem right and wasn't much fun to give some of the best players even more of an advantage. I'm more of a casual gamer these days but when I find a game I like (SW:BF) I play quite awhile (level 85 currently). So, for more casual gamers, I think they should be able to jump in and have fun too.

Anyway, these new battle points seem like a different version of kill streaks. If I understand them correctly, you earn battle points for doing various things and then can spend those points to become things like a jet trooper or hero.

One of my concerns is that the best players will get to select those better classes more often, getting them even more kills and more deaths for the noobs. If they roll over into future matches, the same thing applies. They will have a large "bank" to pull from.

My other concern is how and when points will be given. I would often do things in BF3/4 and SWBF that helped my team but wouldn't get any points (stealing a tank, blowing up potential sniper nests, creating entry points, smoke grenades for cover, etc.). So, if you're not always about the run and gun but you're helping you're team, you get no points.

What do you guys think? I think maybe one way to fix this is that there's a cap on your battle points in a match and they DON'T roll over, with the hero being that cap. In other words, if a hero is 5,000, that's the most you can earn in a match until you spend it.

Another thing they could do is base the battle points off of your skill. Did you go 2 and 14 last round? If you get 4 kills the next round you get a 1,000 bonus or something to that effect.

Replies

• I wouldn't worry about it. Still long time till the beta
  • Sarge3507 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it. Still long time till the beta

True. But that seems to be a main feature they're pushing.
  • They don't roll over between games. The battle points you earn in a match are only for that match. It would be too op if they did, as people would instantly spawn in as a hero.
  • They don't roll over between games. The battle points you earn in a match are only for that match. It would be too op if they did, as people would instantly spawn in as a hero.

That's good. Do you know if there's a cap in a match? Worried someone could get 10,000 and go hero twice in a row and since they got 10,000 they already know how to dominate.
  • Well this game is doing something good. It's respecting skill, thinking, flanking and teamwork. If you get 10,000 points you have the right to be hero twice just how it goes.
  • Respecting skill by letting people snowball? Also thinking and teamwork in a EA published battlefront game LUL? Maybe in the original battlefront 2 certainly not in this pile of dog feces.
  • Don't worry I think the battle points system is fair for everyone and not just the really good players
  • Sarge3507 wrote: »
    Well this game is doing something good. It's respecting skill, thinking, flanking and teamwork. If you get 10,000 points you have the right to be hero twice just how it goes.

Yes, but by that logic you're completely separating "fun" gamers, noobs, and/or casual players. In other words, it fragments the play space. Steep learning curve. Not something you want to do. Good players don't need perks. They're already good.
  • Don't worry I think the battle points system is fair for everyone and not just the really good players

That's kind of a big assumption isn't it?
  • If you like the game enough then get better.

If you don't then stay casual.

Simple.
  • BlowMeow wrote: »
    Sarge3507 wrote: »
    Well this game is doing something good. It's respecting skill, thinking, flanking and teamwork. If you get 10,000 points you have the right to be hero twice just how it goes.

Yes, but by that logic you're completely separating "fun" gamers, noobs, and/or casual players. In other words, it fragments the play space. Steep learning curve. Not something you want to do. Good players don't need perks. They're already good.

The game doesn't have to have as steep a learning curve as Battlefield, but it should have more depth and a bigger skill gap than freaking Call of Duty.

Because screw Call of Duty.

Besides, the Battle Point system will actually give a lot more less-skilled players the opportunity to practice using the heroes and improve. They might not get the heroes as often as higher-skilled players, but they'll still get the chance if they save up their points enough. Before, if somebody just camped the hero tokens because they knew exactly where they'd spawn, more casual players were out of luck. Of course now people will be sitting in the spawn screen waiting for Maul to pop up, but at least everyone knows where that is.

Plus, in the process of saving up those points players will be trying to get kills, playing the objective, and helping their team.

In addition, these reinforcements and heroes don't seem like almost guaranteed free kills like the killstreaks in CoD. They can still be shot to heck if the one using them is careless or the other team coordinates to take them out.
  • My brother and I played SWBF2 at EA Play. The battlepoints are built up by PTFOing and Kills etc. You even earn BPs as a Heavy Class for taking damage near an objective. In the game mode there were 2 Heroes available to each side. Anyways I had saved up enough BPs to buy a hero, but since someone already had Maul I couldn't be Him(whom I was waiting for). But once they died I could spawn in as the Hero. So if someone good gets a hold of the Hero and doesn't die you could have a million BPs and not be the Hero.
    There hope for the noobs though, my brother who has never played a FPS before, still managed to get enough BPs to buy Boba while I slayed as Maul next to him in the throne room!! It was so awesome. I cannot wait until this game releases. And just to brag a little more, I got the limited edition poster signed by Denis Brannval. B)
  • Crabman
    200 posts Member
    Respecting skill by letting people snowball? Also thinking and teamwork in a EA published battlefront game LUL? Maybe in the original battlefront 2 certainly not in this pile of dog feces.

Why are you here?

Hasn't played the game but knows it all

~

Op this system is fair and nothing like killstreaks. If anything it's a scorestreak which enables ALL players to benefit

The tokens in battlefront were thee worst and I still don't know where they are; it's a pure fluke if I ever find one. Someone could just camp them and you'd never get a go.

I have zero interest in the heroes atm so id use my points for special classes and vehicles if needed by my team

System is fair and well really find out come beta

Simple.

Game isn't even in beta yet and the 'git gud' crew is already building up steam.
    tenor.gif

• UNIT0918
    18 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    I think the Officer class might help players who aren't good at getting kills get Battle Points. If I'm not mistaken, Officers get points just by staying next to teammates and buffing them. So even unskilled players will be able to gets points one way or another.
  • Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    Battlepoints is like kill streaks except more prominent and accessible to all level players.
  • ACRenegade88
    737 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    I
    UNIT0918 wrote: »
    I think the Officer class might help players who aren't good at getting kills get Battle Points. If I'm not mistaken, Officers get points just by staying next to teammates and buffing them. So even unskilled players will be able to gets points one way or another.

I thought that was a lackluster and a lazy way of sitting up and earning points while other teammates were literally dying to get those points. BUT on the positive side it makes other trooops rally to the officer and makes troops more likely to surround the officer and protect him to retain the buff he provides and it helps troops survive longer and most likely helps get kills this kind of mechanic encourages players to depend on each other to win a battle, strategy in a shooter makes me feel better
  • Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    I

I thought that was a little **** and a lazy way of sitting up and earning points other teammates were literally dying to get but on the positive it makes other trooops rally to the officer and makes troops fight more a team, strategy in a shooter makes me feel better

It encourages the much strived for "teamwork"
  • Blazur
    4461 posts Member
    You'll gain battle points from performing actions other than simply killing enemies. Dealing damage, playing the objective, and assisting your team all contribute to your BP amount. Heck, even officers gain BP simply by being near their ad-hoc squad, it seem.

This new system should give players more opportunity to become heroes and pilots than the old system did with random pickups. Even moreso now when many players have learned the token positions and only camp them.
    The greatest teacher, failure is.
  • EvazanJr wrote: »
    I

I thought that was a little **** and a lazy way of sitting up and earning points other teammates were literally dying to get but on the positive it makes other trooops rally to the officer and makes troops fight more a team, strategy in a shooter makes me feel better

My thought exactly so it really overrides my complaint lol

Simple.

Game isn't even in beta yet and the 'git gud' crew is already building up steam.
    tenor.gif

My thoughts exactly...
  • Wait I thought you didn't get points when playing as the heroes?? So you can't 'chain' heroes?
    If you like the game enough then get better.

Simple.

tenor.gif

My thoughts exactly...

GIT WREKKED GIT GUD SKRUB
  • Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    EvazanJr wrote: »
    I

My thought exactly so it really overrides my complaint lol

Ok..... Lol
  • Xerxes52
    599 posts Member
    Wait I thought you didn't get points when playing as the heroes?? So you can't 'chain' heroes?

You are correct, you don't gain battle points as a hero to prevent that very issue. It was on one of the myriad E3 streams, forget which unfortunately.
    To think that once I could not see beyond the veil of our reality, to see those who dwell behind.

Simple.

This isn't about getting better...as I'm pretty damn good at SWBF already. It's about creating a fair play space. I remember I'd play COD and often get killed by things other than players (ex: helicopter). So, the dominate player is killing everyone and his helicopter is killing everyone too. That's a terrible system. Obviously these battle points are still new and not completely explained, but telling the thousands of casual or fun gamers to "git gud" doesn't help. In fact, they'll join a match, get destroyed, and never play again, making the community smaller. No one wants that. I'm just hoping these battle points aren't similar to killstreaks.
  • My brother and I played SWBF2 at EA Play. The battlepoints are built up by PTFOing and Kills etc. You even earn BPs as a Heavy Class for taking damage near an objective. In the game mode there were 2 Heroes available to each side. Anyways I had saved up enough BPs to buy a hero, but since someone already had Maul I couldn't be Him(whom I was waiting for). But once they died I could spawn in as the Hero. So if someone good gets a hold of the Hero and doesn't die you could have a million BPs and not be the Hero.
    There hope for the noobs though, my brother who has never played a FPS before, still managed to get enough BPs to buy Boba while I slayed as Maul next to him in the throne room!! It was so awesome. I cannot wait until this game releases. And just to brag a little more, I got the limited edition poster signed by Denis Brannval. B)

Thanks for the info! That's good that even with a ton of points, you might not get to be the hero. Cheers!
  • I'm as hard as diamonds at the thought of getting hero every game once I get into the swing. Ah... the salt will flow...
  • But you get points for a bunch of different things, not just getting kills. Playing the objective, healing teammates, if ur the heavy class even taking damage gets you points.
    Relax

Simple.

This isn't about getting better...as I'm pretty **** good at SWBF already. It's about creating a fair play space. I remember I'd play COD and often get killed by things other than players (ex: helicopter). So, the dominate player is killing everyone and his helicopter is killing everyone too. That's a terrible system. Obviously these battle points are still new and not completely explained, but telling the thousands of casual or fun gamers to "git gud" doesn't help. In fact, they'll join a match, get destroyed, and never play again, making the community smaller. No one wants that. I'm just hoping these battle points aren't similar to killstreaks.

Hopefully you don't consider a game with a skill gap unfair.

Only things in Star Wars Battlefront close to the helicopter are the turrets and probe droids
    Those are available to everyone and they're easily dispatched.

If you like the game you'll play more and eventually you'll be better than the newest player and so on.
  • Blazur
    4461 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Hopefully you don't consider a game with a skill gap unfair.

This. Being able to tangibly reward myself with good performance will end up being a huge motivator to continue playing and improving.
    The greatest teacher, failure is.
  • AlexM
    195 posts Member
    In BF2 you earn points by doing things besides killing like playing objective or maybe assisting, and your deaths don't matter as your battle points carry over death. You don't have to be amazing to earn the rewards unlike in call of duty where you can't die.
    One of the few reasons I didn't care much for the COD series is because of kill streaks. It didn't seem right and wasn't much fun to give some of the best players even more of an advantage. I'm more of a casual gamer these days but when I find a game I like (SW:BF) I play quite awhile (level 85 currently). So, for more casual gamers, I think they should be able to jump in and have fun too.

Anyway, these new battle points seem like a different version of kill streaks. If I understand them correctly, you earn battle points for doing various things and then can spend those points to become things like a jet trooper or hero.

One of my concerns is that the best players will get to select those better classes more often, getting them even more kills and more deaths for the noobs. If they roll over into future matches, the same thing applies. They will have a large "bank" to pull from.

My other concern is how and when points will be given. I would often do things in BF3/4 and SWBF that helped my team but wouldn't get any points (stealing a tank, blowing up potential sniper nests, creating entry points, smoke grenades for cover, etc.). So, if you're not always about the run and gun but you're helping you're team, you get no points.

What do you guys think? I think maybe one way to fix this is that there's a cap on your battle points in a match and they DON'T roll over, with the hero being that cap. In other words, if a hero is 5,000, that's the most you can earn in a match until you spend it.

Another thing they could do is base the battle points off of your skill. Did you go 2 and 14 last round? If you get 4 kills the next round you get a 1,000 bonus or something to that effect.

Well its not just based off kills. Kills is a big part of it but they confirmed you get battle points for doing the objective, healing, damaging people and objects etc. Also, the first few special classes and vehicles you can get with battle points seem pretty cheap and you earn points while in those vehicles/ playing as those special classes. However, you don't earn battle points as a hero because that would be op. So if you spend all your battle points on a hero, you wont get any battle points as a hero and will basically restart once you die
  • I

I thought that was a lackluster and a lazy way of sitting up and earning points while other teammates were literally dying to get those points. BUT on the positive side it makes other trooops rally to the officer and makes troops more likely to surround the officer and protect him to retain the buff he provides and it helps troops survive longer and most likely helps get kills this kind of mechanic encourages players to depend on each other to win a battle, strategy in a shooter makes me feel better

Exactly. Just like healers in Battlefield and MMORPGs, there's nothing wrong with hanging back and supporting your team from behind. In Battlefield games, I tend to be near the top of the leader boards simply by doing my class's job and healing and reviving everyone!
  • I am perfectly fine with the Battle Point system as it's represented. Granted it must be experienced for ourselves in the Beta, however I vastly disliked the token/powerup system. The token/powerup system lead to camping, it took away from the beauty of the environment with these absurd 'coins' on the ground, and also lead to players aimlessly wandering the battlefield looking for the one they wanted.
    The Battle Point system is great as I currently see it. It incentivizes and awards players who remain focused and dedicated to the gameplay. It also helps ensure that critically important heroes end up in the hands of capable players and are more likely to be a benefit to the team. And also... no more camping for vehicles or worrying about getting shot the moment you pick up a token/powerup.
    This is already 100% a bettter direction for Battlefront II.
    And for those people whom are worried about performing well with those hero characters when you actually finally get them? Ask EA/DICE to create a training simulator, so you can practice with those units or heroes/villains in advance until you are comfortable with actually using them to help your team.
    Really just a win/win. And this is coming from a guy who heavily critisizes Battlefront II. EA/DICE are definiately on the right track with this system, and I didn't even think about it. So major props to them for doing a great job getting the game on track in comparison to Battlefront I in this regard.
    Battlefront I Beta Tester - I hope Battlefront II will be amazing by delivering; Space Battles w/ Infantry Boarding Parties, Stormtroopers w/ Helmets, 64 Player Mode, Hardcore Mode (Lightsaber 1HK), Fixed Squads, In-Game VOIP, Server Browser/Filter, Private Server Hosting, Mod Support and Clan Support.

Simple.

tenor.gif

My thoughts exactly...

GIT WREKKED GIT GUD SKRUB

And I second this. Play the game and Git Gud.
    Battlefront I Beta Tester - I hope Battlefront II will be amazing by delivering; Space Battles w/ Infantry Boarding Parties, Stormtroopers w/ Helmets, 64 Player Mode, Hardcore Mode (Lightsaber 1HK), Fixed Squads, In-Game VOIP, Server Browser/Filter, Private Server Hosting, Mod Support and Clan Support.
  • For what I've heard you got boosted points in alpha so people would get to play hero more often. So I guess heroes/special units are not as common on the battlefield as they were in alpha. We'll have to wait and see in the beta.

The idea of battle points is good however. It gives you a reason to do better and do good. If you are not invincible 1 man army then you can get those points by playing support class Officer or by playing the objective.

It's only fair to reward players who do great with important roles like heroes and air craft first.
  • Zenox
    26 posts Member
    I like the battle point - system. It is not like kill streaks, because when you die, you don't lose points (I am not sure here).

But I think the best player/s will reach 5,000 points very fast and when he/they pick/s a hero and play/s good, bad players are not able to play as a hero.

In my opinion this is very good for the gameplay.

Give the best player/s the hero/es!
  • bfloo
    14061 posts Member
    It isn't like kill streaks. Points don't reset every time you get killed.

Some players will gain points faster, but that gives the incentive to get better.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Respecting skill by letting people snowball? Also thinking and teamwork in a EA published battlefront game LUL? Maybe in the original battlefront 2 certainly not in this pile of dog feces.

@Chikenuggetz Please elaborate how this game isn't even in the beta yet and your already calling it a pile of dog feces...