criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Missions, survival and training

I'm so glad about the campaign but I would like to have missions and other offline (apart of skirmish) like in the previous game because of the 1v1, the survival was very good, the training is not the most important of these three things
What do you think?

Replies

• JackTHorn
    3575 posts Member
    Ideally, the single-player element will be broad and robust -- a substantial campaign, skirmish on all maps and in at least a handful of modes in addition to Survival and Battles. (Though I'm not a big fan of the Battles mode with its token-grabbing.)

But this will require a greatly improved AI. The AI in the current game are somehow simultaneously terrible and way too good -- most of them die with one or two taps from blaster or melee, but some require 8 or 10 melee hits to kill them and can withstand lengthy blaster fire like it's nothing. They don't generally do much damage, but they unerringly track you wherever you are, and fire precise headshots from all over the map the instant you step out of cover. They blundered right into trip mines and turrets, but they ignore all your allied AI soldiers and focus obsessively on you at all times.

If they can improve the AI, then the single player will pretty much be great as long as they include most or all of the maps. But if they can't improve the AI, then it really doesn't matter a whole lot what the single player scope is like.
  • JackTHorn wrote: »
    Ideally, the single-player element will be broad and robust -- a substantial campaign, skirmish on all maps and in at least a handful of modes in addition to Survival and Battles. (Though I'm not a big fan of the Battles mode with its token-grabbing.)

But this will require a greatly improved AI. The AI in the current game are somehow simultaneously terrible and way too good -- most of them die with one or two taps from blaster or melee, but some require 8 or 10 melee hits to kill them and can withstand lengthy blaster fire like it's nothing. They don't generally do much damage, but they unerringly track you wherever you are, and fire precise headshots from all over the map the instant you step out of cover. They blundered right into trip mines and turrets, but they ignore all your allied AI soldiers and focus obsessively on you at all times.

If they can improve the AI, then the single player will pretty much be great as long as they include most or all of the maps. But if they can't improve the AI, then it really doesn't matter a whole lot what the single player scope is like.

Yes, I would like the battles not be of token-grabbing and it should be a better AI, but it's as hard as interesting when you play them in master mode
    Certainly it was almost impossible when you play like a soldier but in heroic battles were very cool
  • I want survival since it was the only way to play with someone locally besides skirmish. 1v1 in bf1 was fun for the first 20 seconds then it became boring, the missions are the same fun for 30 seconds then slow or annoying. Unless they make the missions and 1v1 unique and replayable it will just end up like now where you say "We could play a mission?" And end up playing skirmish or survival because it's funer or you haven't played it yet.
  • I thought all of the single player content was sub par in the last game. Survival was a joke compared to what other games have done with survival modes, the training missions were decent introductions to some of the game's mechanics, but they had no replay value, and the battles were an utter joke.

That being said, I'm not against seeing some of that stuff return as long as they improve it. Survival in particular could end up being really fun if they make it more robust. Training missions also have some value simply for teaching game mechanics. Battles could be alright if they get rid of the stupid tokens and allow co-op play as well as versus play with a friend. Although at that point, they would basically just be the skirmish version of Blast.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • JackTHorn
    3575 posts Member
    They should give all single-player content the option to be co-op and/or versus. Not just one or the other.
  • JackTHorn wrote: »
    They should give all single-player content the option to be co-op and/or versus. Not just one or the other.

Agreed, except for maybe survival mode if it's in the game.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • Beaver
    1735 posts Member
    All that's been officially announced is a campaign and skirmish. Skirmish will more then likely be you training mode, with a few maps to get you ready for online play.
  • Beaver wrote: »
    All that's been officially announced is a campaign and skirmish. Skirmish will more then likely be you training mode, with a few maps to get you ready for online play.

But skirmish is a replica of online multiplayer, so all the battles will have AI, but in missions, you can play 1v1
    I would like the 1v1 battles to not have a token-grabbing system, that would make them more cool
  • Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    I liked it. Just got boring quick.

The speeder training is awesome and I've played survival with friends.
  • Jesbro
    568 posts Member
    I will say this:

Missions were ok (not good, not great, but ok) if you like small maps with only a few guys on each team and no vehicles whatsoever.

However there were none of the big maps with huge battles and a lot of vehicles like the ones in multiplayer and that is why we needed the Skirmish mode.

Again the Skirmish mode we finally got in Battlefront 2015 was sort of what we wanted but without DLC maps and better AI it just wasn't quite as good as it could have been.

If Skirmish mode is actually improved for Battlefront II and includes huge battles on all of the Big Maps (like Theed) with the possibility of being able to do any faction against any other faction (Fantasy Battles) than I will commit heresy against the original Pandemic games and say that this will be a lot better than them!

I really hope that it will be better and the more we learn about the new Skirmish mode the more comfortable I will be in actually saying that.
  • YODA100
    1067 posts Member
    1 word. Boring. BF 2 better have nicer offline mode or else I'll burn that disc!
  • Jesbro wrote: »
    I will say this:

Missions were ok (not good, not great, but ok) if you like small maps with only a few guys on each team and no vehicles whatsoever.

However there were none of the big maps with huge battles and a lot of vehicles like the ones in multiplayer and that is why we needed the Skirmish mode.

Again the Skirmish mode we finally got in Battlefront 2015 was sort of what we wanted but without DLC maps and better AI it just wasn't quite as good as it could have been.

If Skirmish mode is actually improved for Battlefront II and includes huge battles on all of the Big Maps (like Theed) with the possibility of being able to do any faction against any other faction (Fantasy Battles) than I will commit heresy against the original Pandemic games and say that this will be a lot better than them!

I really hope that it will be better and the more we learn about the new Skirmish mode the more comfortable I will be in actually saying that.

But why not skirmish and missions too?
  • Jesbro
    568 posts Member
    Jesbro wrote: »
    I will say this:

I didn't like the normal Missions where you had to pick up tokens after kills.

If they just include normal Blast mode and all of its maps as well would that be good enough?
  • F03hammer
    5012 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
    I will say this:

If they just include normal Blast mode and all of its maps as well would that be good enough?

Yea I'd much prefer that.
    Bots don't even need to be near the tokens to get points in BFI (at least in XB) I've noticed.
    Another thing I'd love for them to include is our star card hands from mp (upgraded + layout), and the dlc content.
    Voluntary Star Wars Battlefront Moderator

28zvwf.jpg
    GT XBOX:
    buyakashak

• Jesbro wrote: »
    I will say this:

F03hammer wrote: »
    I will say this:

Yea I'd much prefer that.
    Bots don't even need to be near the tokens to get points in BFI (at least in XB) I've noticed.
    Another thing I'd love for them to include is our star card hands from mp (upgraded + layout), and the dlc content.

Yes, I said that before
  • critcher
    230 posts Member
    For speculative reference.. Battlefield 1 had campaigns that acted (more or less) as training and introductory experiences to prepare you for multiplayer. I certainly hope that's not what the Battlefront 2 team has done with their hyped campaign.. but I doubt they would do things like survival again for this title.