criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

POLL: Would you like the soldiers in Battlefront 2 to swear?

Replies

• You guys need to get over a few words.
  • Since 'EeeAFront' is banned on the forum...would that count as a swear word in the game? Hmm...
  • Firewall17
    1166 posts Member
    Swearing will NEVER happen.
    Xbox One: Firewall17 - I Love Star Wars: Battlefront 2! No regrets buying it and never will! - Also on >The List<

You mistake me for caring about the use of those words. I really don't. I'm just pointing out that they are still technically considered swear words, plain and simple. Simply look up the words on Wikipedia as well as the definition of profanity and you'll see that I'm right. I could care less whether you actually find the words offensive, as I don't either, but that doesn't mean that they aren't considered swear words.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • Im still trying to work out how the game was 16 rated, no swearing and no blood, how is this?
  • Im still trying to work out how the game was 16 rated, no swearing and no blood, how is this?
    I believe it had something to do with Vader's force choke and Palp's lightning.
  • Firewall17 wrote: »
    Swearing will NEVER happen.
    Um....
    Your journey nears its end.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • this is star wars NOT call of duty or medal of honor. they never swore in the movies and they MUST NOT in the games.
    invalid brain token
  • Darkaid wrote: »
    There was some mild language in BF1 EA, so there will probably be some in BF2 EA, but there won't be anything extreme. Either way, I don't care.
    You sure about that?

(9:24 and 14:38)

Yeah, the First Order swearin' up a storm saying s**t and dropping those f bombs

You don't think that's legit right? That isn't a professional voice artist that's a guy in his bedroom.
  • Darkaid wrote: »
    There was some mild language in BF1 EA, so there will probably be some in BF2 EA, but there won't be anything extreme. Either way, I don't care.
    You sure about that?

(9:24 and 14:38)

Yeah, the First Order swearin' up a storm saying s**t and dropping those f bombs

You don't think that's legit right? That isn't a professional voice artist that's a guy in his bedroom.
    Well he's uploaded Clone voices before, and those were on point.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • I'm fine with it.
  • Piscettios
    6119 posts Member
    They have nothing to gain by adding it, quite a bit lose if they do.

It's not like it adds to the Star Wars immersion by having swear words shouted in battle. No one's on the fence about this game and if it has hardcore language or not. But it could potentially anger alot of parents and put them off completely...doubting EA and Disney are looking to alienate a nice chunk of their bottom line. I know my son swears, he's probably heard it all... doesn't mean he needs it constantly pounded in his ears while playing a Battlefront game with his buddies.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Piscettios wrote: »

It's not like it adds to the Star Wars immersion by having swear words shouted in battle. No one's on the fence about this game and if it has hardcore language or not. But it could potentially anger alot of parents and put them off completely...doubting EA and Disney are looking to alienate a nice chunk of their bottom line. I know my son swears, he's probably heard it all... doesn't mean he needs it constantly pounded in his ears while playing a Battlefront game with his buddies.

Indeed, and let's be honest, the decision not to include team chat in the last game was probably partially motivated by wanting to keep a family friendly atmosphere. That way little Johnny isn't hearing racist slurs and profane things about his mother when he plays.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • kylenpain
    1305 posts Member
    in the campaign yeah.
    d word yeah
    s word no
    h word yeah
    f word no
    anything that basically hasnt been in the movies. only the frustration swear words

You mistake me for caring about the use of those words. I really don't. I'm just pointing out that they are still technically considered swear words, plain and simple. Simply look up the words on Wikipedia as well as the definition of profanity and you'll see that I'm right. I could care less whether you actually find the words offensive, as I don't either, but that doesn't mean that they aren't considered swear words.

I'm talking about 'swear words' in general.

Indeed, and let's be honest, the decision not to include team chat in the last game was probably partially motivated by wanting to keep a family friendly atmosphere. That way little Johnny isn't hearing racist slurs and profane things about his mother when he plays.

Little Johnny van turn off any kind of team chat.

Little Johnny may not know he can do that. Also 90% of the time team voice chat is available people never use it (in my experience)

Little Johnny may not know he can do that. Also 90% of the time team voice chat is available people never use it (in my experience)

Then it's not an issue for little johnny.
  • I can't believe this is still a thread, are we all teenagers now?
  • Since when is there a need for swear words, no need to have swearing in Star Wars
    RIP Sig Gifs, It would be nice to have coruscant, and big offline content modes, and these heroes at launch:
    Prequel era : yoda, obi wan, Anakin, padme, maul, jango, dooku, grievous,
    Original era: Luke, leia, Han, chewy, Vader, palps, boba, bossk
    New era: Rey, kylo
  • Xerxes52
    599 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Don't really care either way, but EABF2 is a T rated game IIRC, so expect it to be on the mild side when it comes to profanity.
    To think that once I could not see beyond the veil of our reality, to see those who dwell behind.
  • Star Wars is too good for cussing
    RIP Sig Gifs, It would be nice to have coruscant, and big offline content modes, and these heroes at launch:
  • otto43 wrote: »
    http://www.strawpoll.me/13540751

[EDITED]

Forgot to put a "I don't care if there is swearing" option, if you don't care if there is or isn't then go ahead and say so in the comments.

I wouldn't be opposed to it, but there absolutely no point in adding swearing. Besides, SW is for all ages.
  • EvazanJr wrote: »
    For my personal enjoyment I don't care. Swearing can show the hardships of war but also can just sound dumb (Black Ops). Even though It isn't in much Star Wars content, it could still fit.

For the game's sake. No. Star Wars is for all ages and so is this game. Also, not many FPS are rated T and swearing would probably lead to it being rated M (if the campaign doesn't make it already).

Overall, Mild swearing would be fine as we see d*mn and H*ll in the movies but anything more is a no
    Currently it doesn't look like there will be any swearing as we hear "blast it!" Used as a curse. Probably for the best

[email protected] and he11 aren't swearing lol.

I don't really care if star wars is for families as swearing is just word and censorship makes no sense but that is another argument.

I don't think the family friendly argument can work in this instance as it is a fps and games like that are not made for families.

I've also read a number of canon books where swearing is present also.

This isn't about censorship. Censorship would only be if there was originally swearing that was taken out. In my opinion, I wouldn't be opposed to swearing in the game. But answer me this: What's the point of adding it in the firs place? Will it add anything truly? I really don't think it matters if searing is absent. Star Wars has never needed swearing, sure it's used it from time to time in other content, but it has never been in the least necessary. So, if swearing is not in the game, I will not care in the least.
  • EvazanJr wrote: »
    For my personal enjoyment I don't care. Swearing can show the hardships of war but also can just sound dumb (Black Ops). Even though It isn't in much Star Wars content, it could still fit.

For the game's sake. No. Star Wars is for all ages and so is this game. Also, not many FPS are rated T and swearing would probably lead to it being rated M (if the campaign doesn't make it already).

Overall, Mild swearing would be fine as we see d*mn and H*ll in the movies but anything more is a no
    Currently it doesn't look like there will be any swearing as we hear "blast it!" Used as a curse. Probably for the best

[email protected] and he11 aren't swearing lol.

I don't really care if star wars is for families as swearing is just word and censorship makes no sense but that is another argument.

I don't think the family friendly argument can work in this instance as it is a fps and games like that are not made for families.

I've also read a number of canon books where swearing is present also.

This isn't about censorship. Censorship would only be if there was originally swearing that was taken out. In my opinion, I wouldn't be opposed to swearing in the game. But answer me this: What's the point of adding it in the firs place? Will it add anything truly? I really don't think it matters if searing is absent. Star Wars has never needed swearing, sure it's used it from time to time in other content, but it has never been in the least necessary. So, if swearing is not in the game, I will not care in the least.

Doesn't bother me either, at all.
  • In my opinion it shouldn't be added and can't see it being authorized by Lucasfilm/Disney. I'm not a prude, by any stretch of the imagination, but this just isn't Star Wars. In Battlefield 1, absolutely...and love it.
  • For people saying "there was no profanity in Star Wars", think again! There was A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, as well as KOTOR, Republic Commando, some lines in Pandemic Battlefront II (thus making the game rated T for violence and MILD LANGUAGE), SWTOR, The Force Unleashed, and the books and comics. Need I say more?

Halo 5 (Dear God) was rated T because it didn't even contain too much blood, but it did have profanity still. Batman: Arkham series had profanity in it, but got pushed to rated M, because of how gory parts like bullet holes in a person made it almost realistic. Battleborn and Overwatch are both rated T and use mild language, even though Battleborn goes overboard with language, they even have to censor some words, making it funny. XD Even Call of Duty and Battlefield used profanity before they both moved to rated M. And in Bad Company, there were lines where some characters said "shlt". How it was still rated T? I don't even know. And Destiny. Destiny uses mild language, too, but also has "animated blood". From the Cabal. Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII, Shadow The Hedgehog (a dark, but great Sonic game), Guitar Hero and Rock Band, other Final Fantasy games I believe (Idk. Been a while since I've actually played a Final Fantasy game), World of Warcraft, StarCraft, I think some Marvel games that are rated T, The Simpsons Game, and the Ghostbusters Video Game.

Plus, it'd be cool to have it in this game. Most Star Wars content have been rated T, PG, PG-13, and TV-PG for a reason: THE VIOLENCE. Because it can show how dark it can be, but yet it's still enjoyable by the family. Nothing too heavy, just the mild language will do, since it fit previous games really well.
  • Can we stop? I know its edgy when you're 20 but this whole thread is embarrassing.
  • Can we stop? I know its edgy when you're 20 but this whole thread is embarrassing.

Still worth something to talk about. XD
  • No, this is Star Wars. Always been a kid friendly franchise and should remain so.
  • Um no, not at all. Absolutely not.
    WATCH THOSE WRIST ROCKETS!
  • Nah this is SW. People don't swear in SW lol
  • Piscettios
    6119 posts Member
    This thread again...
    No one's given a solid reason it should be added... Because it would be cool and other games did it don't make the cut.

What next then, requests for blood and limbs flying everywhere?
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • The family argument is *****. Families dont play shooters. This game has a different demographic to the films.
    Piscettios wrote: »
    This thread again...
    No one's given a solid reason it should be added... Because it would be cool and other games did it don't make the cut.

No blood but I do want limb dismemberments from lightsaber strikes.
  • The family argument is ****. Families dont play shooters. This game has a different demographic to the films.
    This thread again...

Really? Because I remember playing Pandemic's BF2 with my 2 younger brothers who were both under 10 at the time.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • The family argument is ****. Families dont play shooters. This game has a different demographic to the films.
    This thread again...

Really? Because I remember playing Pandemic's BF2 with my 2 younger brothers who were both under 10 at the time.

I think gaming has moved on since then due to online gaming.
  • Younglings in this thread be like,
    tumblr_mnif62zO3v1riqujqo1_500.gif
  • We cannot dwear on the forums so i dont think it would happen in the game
  • Piscettios
    6119 posts Member
    The family argument is ****. Families dont play shooters. This game has a different demographic to the films.
    This thread again...

Actually, they/we do. I've seen plenty of dads on these forms too, commenting on gaming with their kids. Many studies and surveys peg the average age of gamers at 31 and rising, there's also more gamers aged 35+, than below. You gonna tell me dad's and mom's aren't passing their hobbies on to their kids? We also possess more discretionary income than single 20 something's fresh out of school. As I said before, they don't benefit one bit from alienating that part of the community with pointless swearing and over the top violence, and no one is going to pass on the game because of it's exclusion.

Thanks for attempting to speak for a section of the community you're obviously not a part of.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Warrior
    298 posts Member
    The family argument is ****. Families dont play shooters. This game has a different demographic to the films.
    This thread again...

I play BFront with my 8 year old brother, but he wouldn't be allowed to play it if it had blood or swearing. I want something that I can play with him.
    I had a dream, that one day on the sweet hills of Georgia, everybody will be able to play the Star Wars game they've always wanted.
  • SandyAni
    762 posts Member
    Why is this thread still going...
  • Warrior wrote: »
    This thread again...

I play BFront with my 8 year old brother, but he wouldn't be allowed to play it if it had blood or swearing. I want something that I can play with him.

He shouldn't be allowed to play it full stop due to the age rating.
    This thread again...

Actually, they/we do. I've seen plenty of dads on these forms too, commenting on gaming with their kids. Many studies and surveys peg the average age of gamers at 31 and rising, there's also more gamers aged 35+, than below. You gonna tell me dad's and mom's aren't passing their hobbies on to their kids? We also possess more discretionary income than single 20 something's fresh out of school. As I said before, they don't benefit one bit from alienating that part of the community with pointless swearing and over the top violence, and no one is going to pass on the game because of it's exclusion.

Thanks for attempting to speak for a section of the community you're obviously not a part of.

So no evidence to show families play shooters together...
    This thread again...

Ever play Black Ops 2? I find kids there everyday 24/7.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
    This thread again...

Ever play Black Ops 2? I find kids there everyday 24/7.

Kids playing on their own, not with their family.
This discussion has been closed.