criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

The Rock-Paper-Scissors system... who should beat who?

JMaster
2155 posts Member
Hello, how's it been? So, the Heroes and Villains in this game appear to be more even more in-depth than the previous installment, and one of the more fascinating ideas put out by the developers is that they appear to be making a quote-on-quote "Rock, Paper Scissors" system for different heroes, making it so that while some heroes are much more likely to be beaten by a certain character, another character is effective at dispatching that one, and so on and so forth. A checks and balances between Star Wars heroes, essentially. In addition to your thoughts on the system in general, who do you think should beat who? With and without cross-era? Thank you!
"I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
He knew.

Replies

• Same question applies to space vehicles. I'm thinking there will be a little bit of that in the classes
  • Offensive beats Support, Support beats Defensive, Defensive beats Hit and Run, Hit and Run beats Offensive and so on and so on.

If we're talking more about the characters themselves then... Grievous over Cody, Obi-Wan over Grievous, Dooku is on level with Obi-Wan, Anakin gets demolished by Dooku and so on and so on.
    We're finally getting the High Ground man! Wooooooooo!
  • Offensive beats Support, Support beats Defensive, Defensive beats Hit and Run, Hit and Run beats Offensive and so on and so on.

If we're talking more about the characters themselves then... Grievous over Cody, Obi-Wan over Grievous, Dooku is on level with Obi-Wan, Anakin gets demolished by Dooku and so on and so on.
    I'd imagine Dooku and Anakin being equals, same with Obi-Wan and Grievous.
    A thousand generations live in you now, but this is your fight.
    mbetxwnmm1qiioixt6xy.gif
  • JMaster
    2155 posts Member
    EvazanJr wrote: »
    Same question applies to space vehicles. I'm thinking there will be a little bit of that in the classes
    That would be nice, although it looks like Heavies and Assaults are just going to wreck everyone.
    Offensive beats Support, Support beats Defensive, Defensive beats Hit and Run, Hit and Run beats Offensive and so on and so on.

Offensive beats Support, Support beats Defensive, Defensive beats Hit and Run, Hit and Run beats Offensive and so on and so on.

Cool idea! Yeah, I'm thinking Dooku/Anakin and Grievous/Obi could end up going either way, depending on the skill of the player, but I'm still thinking circular things, like Han beats Boba, Vader beats Han, Luke beats Vader, Senate beats Luke, Leia beats Senate etc... It seems like it will be a nightmare given all the possible combos within just the same era, but with cross-era a possibility, I wonder how it's going to work out.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • Han solo and Chewbacca should beat everyone when together tbh .
    They should be very powerful as a team.
    mbetxwnmm1qiioixt6xy.gif
  • JMaster
    2155 posts Member
    Han solo and Chewbacca should beat everyone when together tbh .
    That would be cool to see, unless there's a group of Bounty Hunters in a gang, Smugglers vs. Bounty Hunters is a neat idea for a matchup!
    He knew.
  • JMaster wrote: »
    That would be cool to see, unless there's a group of Bounty Hunters in a gang, Smugglers vs. Bounty Hunters is a neat idea for a matchup!
    Chewbacca's fur will probably look way better since the Wookiee Warrior's fur in the Gameplay Trailer actually looked like real fur.
    mbetxwnmm1qiioixt6xy.gif
  • YouKnowWhoIAm
    114 posts Member
    edited August 2017

They should have some strong boosts when together , same could be applied to Finn and Poe , or Leia and Luke , Vader and Palpatine , anakin and padme ....

Bounty hunters also should have a soft sinergy when 2 of them are together , then even a more powerful sinergy when 3 or more are close to one another .

They should have some strong boosts when together , same could be applied to Finn and Poe , or Leia and Luke , Vader and Palpatine , anakin and padme ....

Bounty hunters also should have a soft sinergy when 2 of them are together , then even a more powerful sinergy when 3 or more are close to one another .
    I hope Palpatine has a lightsaber in the CW era, I doubt it, but it would be nice to see.
    mbetxwnmm1qiioixt6xy.gif

The map could play a role possibly duku over anakin on geonosis or anakin over duku on.... oh wait that was in space, whatever make a map inside a spaceship for me dice

Feel like Vader would demolish them
  • JMaster
    2155 posts Member
    JMaster wrote: »
    Chewbacca's fur will probably look way better since the Wookiee Warrior's fur in the Gameplay Trailer actually looked like real fur.
    I'd hope so!

That would be really wonderful, and could be a soft way to discourage people from choosing cross-era heroes (if that is indeed in modes like Galactic Assault) and reward those who choose an era-appropriate hero.

I hope Palpatine has a lightsaber in the CW era, I doubt it, but it would be nice to see.
    Maybe an ability to swap it out for his Lightning and back, kinda like Jyn's rifle? Maybe some are better for dispaching certain foes over others... Palps could fare better against Luke with his lightning but better against Mace with his saber. Just a thought, though. : /

The map could play a role possibly duku over anakin on geonosis or anakin over duku on.... oh wait that was in space, whatever make a map inside a spaceship for me dice

Feel like Vader would demolish them
    That might be going a bit far, but it would be really cool to see! And yeah, playing The Force Unleashed I have a feeling Vader could wreck Chewie easily. Granted, anyone without Force Powers would be at the mercy of Vader, but still.
    He knew.
  • It shouldn't be as clear cut as this person beats this person. Heroes should be better at certain combat aspects to allow for tactical play. I don't even think heroes need clear counter heroes.
  • Whatever the system is I want it to be like that lightsaber hero always wins blaster hero when at melee range plain as that. Before someone goes bananas on me I think there should be blaster heroes who excel at taking down jedi/sith.

Rather than outdamaging them like Chewie/Dengar in the first game I'd rather see abilities that help keep melee attackers off of them. Bobas jetpack is perfect example of that. But instead of giving Leia jetpack I think they should have abilities that help them get away OR keep attacker away from them.
  • HeavyTeemu wrote: »
    Whatever the system is I want it to be like that lightsaber hero always wins blaster hero when at melee range plain as that. Before someone goes bananas on me I think there should be blaster heroes who excel at taking down jedi/sith.

Rather than outdamaging them like Chewie/Dengar in the first game I'd rather see abilities that help keep melee attackers off of them. Bobas jetpack is perfect example of that. But instead of giving Leia jetpack I think they should have abilities that help them get away OR keep attacker away from them.

Completely agree. However Leia should be a support hero, rather than one to take down lightsaber users.
  • JMaster
    2155 posts Member
    It shouldn't be as clear cut as this person beats this person. Heroes should be better at certain combat aspects to allow for tactical play. I don't even think heroes need clear counter heroes.
    Oh yeah, it seems like the system is more along the lines of (7 times out of 10, this character beats so-and-so...) rather than an outright death sentence for people playing Padme going up against Jango or Grievous.
    HeavyTeemu wrote: »
    Whatever the system is I want it to be like that lightsaber hero always wins blaster hero when at melee range plain as that. Before someone goes bananas on me I think there should be blaster heroes who excel at taking down jedi/sith.

Completely agree. However Leia should be a support hero, rather than one to take down lightsaber users.
    Hey, she can help take down a saber user... a one-on-one could work if Leia's at long range, though.
    HeavyTeemu wrote: »

Probably could work, I just hope that Saber-weilders can be taken down at longer ranges relatively easily, Han and Boba didn't look anywhere near as effective as Maul and Rey in the demo, here's hoping that changes a bit : )
    He knew.