criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Darth Maul Community Quests

Possible solution to the Cross-era heroes conundrum?

So, a tonne of people seem to be genuinely loosing their **** over the cross-era hero... thing. But at the same time, a lot of people also want to have ALL the heroes, from ALL the eras, ALL the time.

So, I'm wondering, why not just re-skin certain heroes and make them era-specific?

For example;
you have a Jedi hero with abilities A, B and C. Now, you take Luke, Rey and, say, Obi-wan, and give these 3 heroes the same ability set (A, B and C). However, Obi-wan is only playable in the Prequel era maps, Luke in OT maps, and Rey in sequel era maps. That way you get the iconic heroes you want, in their respective eras, and they don't require nearly the same development time because you're not trying to make each one unique.

The basic soldier classes are already exactly this. Why not some of the heroes too?

Now, obviously this won't work for every hero, like Maul or Vader who would have their own unique abilities, animations, etc. But I imagine we're going to have enough heroes from each era with unique abilities, that you could make some of them era specific and the amount of available heroes would still balance out numbers-wise.
Some heroes like Han and Chewie for example could appear in both OT and Sequel era maps with the same ability sets. Or Yoda and Boba and Jango in Prequel and OT maps.

Now before anyone puts on their rose-tinted nostalgia-glasses, this is exactly what the original Battlefront 2 did - Ki-Adi-Mundi, Mace Windu and I believe Obi-wan were all just re-skins of the exact same hero with the exact same abilities. Quite a few were, if I remember correctly. Others like Jango and Boba might have some variation like one unique ability or something. Still others, like Vader and the Emperor had unique ability sets.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Would you be happy with this setup, and would it solve the cross-era hero "argument"?

Also, apologies if something like this has already been posted and discussed to conclusion. I tried typing "cross-era" into the forum search, but you can imagine the results I got, :expressionless:

Replies

• Obi-Wan, Luke and Rey are completely different tho.

Obi-Wan's a more defensive character, Luke's a speed demon and Rey's more of a novice saber/force user.

Giving them the exact same moveset is a waste.
    We're finally getting the High Ground man! Wooooooooo!
  • Sorry but this won't work. It might've in pandemics game but with the uniqueness of Heros it won't work with EA.
    Obi-Wan, Luke and Rey are completely different tho.

Obi-Wan's a more defensive character, Luke's a speed demon and Rey's more of a novice saber/force user.

Yea true.
  • Elusive_DJ
    3141 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    No, this is horrible.
    This would just make the game look lazy, it was fine when the original battlefront 2 came out. But having multiple heroes with the same abilities would cheapen the games versatility & diversity with the heroes.
    ⦗ XBOX GT: EIusive DJ⦘~ "The Knights of Gareth are eternal..." ✔
    \⧹If you happen to have ANY ideas for any hero you desire to have in Battlefront 2, Let me know in a DM!⧸/
    How to make Every Hero Viable in Battlefront 2

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• TMachine97
    1022 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    This won't solve the problem of the kids who just wants to play as Rey. They won't want to play as Luke with Rey's abilities, they'll want to play as Rey.

• Alex64
    7019 posts Member
    Possible solution; Don't hate Rey.
    giphy.gif
  • Obi-Wan, Luke and Rey are completely different tho.

TMachine97 wrote: »
    This won't solve the problem of the kids who just wants to play as Rey. They won't want to play as Luke with Rey's abilities, they'll want to play as Rey.

OK, Obi-wan/Luke/Rey is a bad example. Those 3 are iconic characters, so yeah, I agree it would make sense to make each of them unique. But what about Boba and Jango having the same ability sets for example? I mean, Boba is already literally a clone of Jango. Or at least very similar abilities, but with one unique ability or passive ability each?
    EvazanJr wrote: »
    Sorry but this won't work. It might've in pandemics game but with the uniqueness of Heros it won't work with EA.

Why do you think it wouldn't work?
    DeFaLt17 wrote: »
    No, this is horrible.
    This would just make the game look lazy, it was fine when the original battlefront 2 came out. But having multiple heroes with the same abilities would cheapen the games versatility & diversity with the heroes.

We're going to have a lot of heroes, each with different abilities and play styles. But what about Boba and Jango having the same or similar ability sets for example? Also, It's an EA game -people are going to complain that it's lazy and cheap and lacks versatility regardless of what happens.
    Alex64 wrote: »
    Possible solution; Don't hate Rey.

Who's hating on Rey?
  • That isn't a very good idea, tbh. People want variety in gameplay, not 4 characters reskinned across each era. More would be mad about that than would be about cross era
    The greatest moderator that EA has ever had.
  • OK, Obi-wan/Luke/Rey is a bad example. Those 3 are iconic characters, so yeah, I agree it would make sense to make each of them unique. But what about Boba and Jango having the same ability sets for example? I mean, Boba is already literally a clone of Jango. Or at least very similar abilities, but with one unique ability or passive ability each?

It depends on how they setup their abilities and playstyle. In BF 2015 and BF 2017, Boba acts more like a long-range sniper. Jango would most likely be an aggressive frontlines type of hero.

Just because they look similar doesn't mean they can't be different in playstyle.
    We're finally getting the High Ground man! Wooooooooo!
  • Elusive_DJ
    3141 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    @Whiskeyjack_5691
    Well of course people are going to complain, but giving heroes essentially the same type of kit, would cause complaints to increase drastically. We let it slide in the og battlefront 2, but this time most players demand versatility & diversity in the games content.
    Asking for the developers to just straight up recycle abilities is nonsense.
    I doubt Boba & Jango would have the same ability sets, may be similar in theme but not a copy & paste. But that's for another thread.
    \⧹If you happen to have ANY ideas for any hero you desire to have in Battlefront 2, Let me know in a DM!⧸/

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• That isn't a very good idea, tbh. People want variety in gameplay, not 4 characters reskinned across each era. More would be mad about that than would be about cross era
    It depends on how they setup their abilities and playstyle. In BF 2015 and BF 2017, Boba acts more like a long-range sniper. Jango would most likely be an aggressive frontlines type of hero.

Just because they look similar doesn't mean they can't be different in playstyle.
    @Whiskeyjack_5691
    Well of course people are going to complain, but giving heroes essentially the same type of kit, would cause complaints to increase drastically. We let it slide in the og battlefront 2, but this time most players demand versatility & diversity in the games content.
    I doubt Boba & Jango would have the same ability sets, may be similar in theme but not a copy & paste. But that's for another thread.

Well alrighty then, I concede defeat on this.

@Whiskeyjack_5691

Well alrighty then, I concede defeat on this.

Usually this type of conflict isn't resolved for a millennia.

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• Whiskeyjack_5691
    194 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Usually this type of conflict isn't resolved for a millennia.

Thankfully for us all I am a reasonable adult, and not a 15 year who howls into the endless void of the internet that they want "ALL TEH TINGS NOW!", or uber-nerd who can recite the entire expanded universe by heart. A rarity given the recent trend in these forums, I know :neutral:
  • Danxoln
    2473 posts Member
    Obi-Wan, Luke and Rey are completely different tho.

And would also be lackluster and boring, every hero should be unique