criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Felucia Transmission
No Match for a Good Blaster

Luke vs Maul, why can one block and not the other?

Prev13
Yeah, there were a few Maul threads out there already but none really compared Maul to Luke properly. Both Sith and Jedis begin training by learning to sense the force with their lightsabers by blocking and deflecting blaster fire. To not have Maul block is to totally ignore the SW canon of force users true abilities.

On top of that, if Luke, a nible glass cannon like Maul gets to be ruthless and fast and block, why can't Maul? We Maul fans want our hero to not be at a disadvantage to another nimble character like Luke or remove Luke's ability to block, since he can run and jump like Hulk on steroids. Please Maul the ability to block, Dice!

Replies

• Yeah, there were a few Maul threads out there already but none really compared Maul to Luke properly. Both Sith and Jedis begin training by learning to sense the force with their lightsabers by blocking and deflecting blaster fire. To not have Maul block is to totally ignore the SW canon of force users true abilities.

On top of that, if Luke, a nible glass cannon like Maul gets to be ruthless and fast and block, why can't Maul? We Maul fans want our hero to not be at a disadvantage to another nimble character like Luke or remove Luke's ability to block, since he can run and jump like Hulk on steroids. Please Maul the ability to block, Dice!

Agreed. For me Maul was the chosen one.
  • Landeaux
    3467 posts Member
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?
  • They were never particularly good at creating the heroes so it doesn't surprise me the coolest hero would be the one who will die the fastest
  • They have already addressed this many times. Maul is a different type. He is fast, aggressive, powerful, and not defensive. He has that dash ability which the player can use three times before cooldown, and as I've watched videos of players using Maul, they never seem to be at a liability.

However, I am a little concerned about the lightsaber combat if he were to face another Jedi. Can he block lightsabers? I've seen people talking about how the lightsaber combat just doesn't feel real or significant. Kind of like the first Battlefront, which is really just a hack and slash button mashing thing with no real feel to the fighting.
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Being able to dash 3 times before cooldown isn't enough compared to Luke who can dash non stop. Also yeah, for lightsaber battles, he will get owned by heavy strikes without the ability to block.
  • LERXST
    853 posts Member
    Landeaux wrote: »
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

:joy:
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    One cool way for Maul to block could be to have him spinning his dual lightsaber around him while blocking and at the same time attacking while holding the block button.
  • Being able to dash 3 times before cooldown isn't enough compared to Luke who can dash non stop. Also yeah, for lightsaber battles, he will get owned by heavy strikes without the ability to block.

I don't recall where they announced Luke will be able to dash nonstop.
  • Luke has the speed and jumping power like in the previous game imo. Basically auto dash.
  • Luke has the speed and jumping power like in the previous game imo. Basically auto dash.

Based on what? There is only one clip of Luke running forward and killing a trooper with his lightsaber, and killing three troopers with Force Push. That's all we know.
  • Id be fine with him not blocking as long as he has his own combat techniques that give him survivability. Like Vader vs luke in the first game. You had to plan out a strategy to beat one another rather than just rolling the controller on your face.

Based on what? There is only one clip of Luke running forward and killing a trooper with his lightsaber, and killing three troopers with Force Push. That's all we know.

From what I remember, he was frog jumping too. Even more effective than dashing.
  • He literally didn't jump. Not once.
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    My bad then. Still I'm pretty sure his leap and high speed will return. What else does he shine at if not speed? Money on him being the same old Luke.
  • Money on him being as fast as Maul and Rey are shown to be in the Alpha, and being able to jump like Maul and Rey in the Alpha. That's 1/1 odds.
  • Shinjuku
    1760 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    My bad then. Still I'm pretty sure his leap and high speed will return. What else does he shine at if not speed? Money on him being the same old Luke.

You already know this, Luke Skywalker will be Darth Maul on steroids and speed. He's going to be a hard counter to Darth Maul. If Darth Maul was getting smoked by a heavy and getting boxed to death by a officer how is he going to even survive, let alone fight back against other saber heroes?
    MLtmeEi.png
    " If you're not with me, then you're my enemy."
  • Goldhawk1 wrote: »
    Id be fine with him not blocking as long as he has his own combat techniques that give him survivability. Like Vader vs luke in the first game. You had to plan out a strategy to beat one another rather than just rolling the controller on your face.

Maul has speed so he can't really have survivability. He is a glass cannon like Luke. Maul needs to block especially in lighsaber duels against crippling heavy strikes.
  • However, I am a little concerned about the lightsaber combat if he were to face another Jedi. Can he block lightsabers? I've seen people talking about how the lightsaber combat just doesn't feel real or significant. Kind of like the first Battlefront, which is really just a hack and slash button mashing thing with no real feel to the fighting.

...which is also identical to the original SWBF & SWBF2. All swishy-slashy lightsaber combat, not fighter-game combos and blocks.

So it's consistent, at least.
    Id be fine with him not blocking as long as he has his own combat techniques that give him survivability. Like Vader vs luke in the first game. You had to plan out a strategy to beat one another rather than just rolling the controller on your face.

Maul has speed so he can't really have survivability. He is a glass cannon like Luke. Maul needs to block especially in lighsaber duels against crippling heavy strikes.

Doesn't seem like heavy strikes are going to make a return. But regardless... Vader is much more of a glass tank than luke is and it's hard to classify each hero as a certain type when we don't know anything about them yet and we don't really have a damage model to compare them to.

They don't really do a good job of screwing up vehicles and they auto kill troopers. When it comes down to fighting other heroes it's really more of a game of chess.

Which kind of sucks. People like Vader get eaten alive by certain heroes.
  • mallocfailed
    105 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Shinjuku wrote: »

You already know this, Luke Skywalker will be Darth Maul on steroids and speed. He's going to be a hard counter to Darth Maul. If Darth Maul was getting smoked by a heavy and getting boxed to death by a officer how is he going to even survive, let alone fight back against other saber heroes?

Even more money on one or the other getting nerfed before GA release.

ENJOY the lopsided imbalance while it exists during the beta -- ASSUMING it exists at all.
    (i.e., this thread is entirely hypothetical speculation)
  • Luke will probably get nerfed like last time. Maul will get mauled until devs give him a blocking ability in 3 months.
    They don't really do a good job of screwing up vehicles and they auto kill troopers. When it comes down to fighting other heroes it's really more of a game of chess.

More like a game of, 'hope to God you have help because if you get ganged up on you're screwed'.
  • Shinjuku wrote: »

ENJOY the lopsided imbalance while it exists during the beta -- ASSUMING it exists at all.

I mean it's not really ALL hypothetical speculation. The other saver welders can block anything. Maul cant. We know for a fact there isn't any kind of saber combat system in the game. The entire thought process is just throw out the window.

What we do know is there will be a huge series of players mashing the attack button against other saber heroes. With maul vs luke (or literally anyone else for that matter) if you get hit by maul you can block until the awkward glitchy and mutated animations gives you an opening to strike back. This will ensure more button mashing as having an actual counter system with other saber heroes ensured button mashing anyway....

Then there's the blaster heroes... bf1 Vader and luke were a menace because they could block your attacks and add just another level of strategy. With blaster heroes you're essentially just a trooper in god form. Then you go against a dude like maul. The blaster heroes have super ultra versions of blasters and other trooper powers and with no ability to block them it's kinda a one sided match up.

But at the same time I'm interested in where they're going with him. I mean he doesn't have much in the way of defense and his completely vertical saber throw narrows down his offensive capabilities a bit...kinda weird.
  • Yes it will be interesting to see play out. I've seen Maul and Rey both win in the various encounters I've seen from the Alpha. We know that they'll be getting a ton of feedback from the Beta, so I'm at least going to see what feedback we get, and what tweaks they make, then see how it plays at launch and go from there.
  • SSJSnoop
    2110 posts Member
    Doesn't Maul regenerate health? or is that all heroes now?
  • LERXST
    853 posts Member
    SSJSnoop wrote: »
    Doesn't Maul regenerate health? or is that all heroes now?

All
  • Yeah, there were a few Maul threads out there already but none really compared Maul to Luke properly. Both Sith and Jedis begin training by learning to sense the force with their lightsabers by blocking and deflecting blaster fire. To not have Maul block is to totally ignore the SW canon of force users true abilities.

I wholeheartedly agree with you
  • Landeaux wrote: »
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

lol if you don’t like the subject matter then leave and don’t come back
    They were never particularly good at creating the heroes so it doesn't surprise me the coolest hero would be the one who will die the fastest

Sad that it has to be that way
    Luke will probably get nerfed like last time. Maul will get mauled until devs give him a blocking ability in 3 months.

Basically.
    Goldhawk1 wrote: »

I mean it's not really ALL hypothetical speculation. The other saver welders can block anything. Maul cant. We know for a fact there isn't any kind of saber combat system in the game. The entire thought process is just throw out the window.

What we do know is there will be a huge series of players mashing the attack button against other saber heroes. With maul vs luke (or literally anyone else for that matter) if you get hit by maul you can block until the awkward glitchy and mutated animations gives you an opening to strike back. This will ensure more button mashing as having an actual counter system with other saber heroes ensured button mashing anyway....

Then there's the blaster heroes... bf1 Vader and luke were a menace because they could block your attacks and add just another level of strategy. With blaster heroes you're essentially just a trooper in god form. Then you go against a dude like maul. The blaster heroes have super ultra versions of blasters and other trooper powers and with no ability to block them it's kinda a one sided match up.

But at the same time I'm interested in where they're going with him. I mean he doesn't have much in the way of defense and his completely vertical saber throw narrows down his offensive capabilities a bit...kinda weird.

You read my mind

I honestly can’t wait to see what the threads look like after the Beta releases
    They were never particularly good at creating the heroes so it doesn't surprise me the coolest hero would be the one who will die the fastest

Sad that it has to be that way
    Luke will probably get nerfed like last time. Maul will get mauled until devs give him a blocking ability in 3 months.

Basically.
    Goldhawk1 wrote: »

You read my mind

I honestly can’t wait to see what the threads look like after the Beta releases

We need lots of 'I told you so' memes. People want a self taught jedi to be all powerful but a sith who has been training for nearly a decade or more to not block. Immersion is clearly not what players care about. They forget to mention all the people that like to play as a team. Coward Maul dashes off leaving team to fend for themselves against yoda. All those against maul blocking clearly don't care for teamplay. They're the ones who'll bacta themselves and run away all the time.
  • Landeaux
    3467 posts Member
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

Your stance must be fragile if you are afraid of someone contesting your opinion.
    Don’t be a typical “get off my lawn” or “don’t come back to this thread” kind of user. Those users tend to be salty over the slightest of things :)
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

Your stance must be fragile if you are afraid of someone contesting your opinion.
    Don’t be a typical “get off my lawn” or “don’t come back to this thread” kind of user. Those users tend to be salty over the slightest of things :)

Lol contest my opinion on a different thread and see how many people agree with you

I dare you.
  • Landeaux
    3467 posts Member
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

Lol contest my opinion on a different thread and see how many people agree with you

I dare you.

You aren’t a good listener (or reader if you wish to see it this way). I have consistently stated that I see both sides of the argument. I don’t need to “contest” your opinion on a different thread. Nor do I yearn for the approval of anyone on this forum. You may have a few “glass half empty” people on here who try to beat everyone else into submittion but it isn’t gonna work for me (or that other guy who stood his ground on your thread). You have a few users on your side. Everyone else who is fine with the current state of heroes has the developers on their side. Who holds more weight in the making of this game? Hmm.
  • Danxoln
    2473 posts Member
    I agree
  • I don't really think he needs to block, or have lightsaber fights at all tbh.
    Because one simple combo can just destroy other heroes, Force Choke + Dash & Primary attack just melts your opponent from what I've seen.
    ⦗ XBOX GT: EIusive DJ⦘~ "The Knights of Gareth are eternal..." ✔
    \⧹If you happen to have ANY ideas for any hero you desire to have in Battlefront 2, Let me know in a DM!⧸/
    How to make Every Hero Viable in Battlefront 2

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• ROMG4
    2893 posts Member

Kill Me Now
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    The OOM-9 Thread
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    DeFaLt17 wrote: »
    I don't really think he needs to block, or have lightsaber fights at all tbh.
    Because one simple combo can just destroy other heroes, Force Choke + Dash & Primary attack just melts your opponent from what I've seen.

Still he needs to defend himself as well. One stun is enough to kill him as well. If so he needs to be rebalanced.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    DeFaLt17 wrote: »
    I don't really think he needs to block, or have lightsaber fights at all tbh.

Still he needs to defend himself as well. One stun is enough to kill him as well.

Really concerned the heroes health may be too low
  • Ikr. Looks like infantry melt heroes too quickly.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    Ikr. Looks like infantry melt heroes too quickly.

Especially that annoying heavy class with their shield. Hope something has already been done about that
  • Maul will get it the most without the block.
  • Luke is slower
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

I dare you.
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

I dare you.

You aren’t a good listener (or reader if you wish to see it this way). I have consistently stated that I see both sides of the argument. I don’t need to “contest” your opinion on a different thread. Nor do I yearn for the approval of anyone on this forum. You may have a few “glass half empty” people on here who try to beat everyone else into submittion but it isn’t gonna work for me (or that other guy who stood his ground on your thread). You have a few users on your side. Everyone else who is fine with the current state of heroes has the developers on their side. Who holds more weight in the making of this game? Hmm.

Both of you chill. Debate, not bicker.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • EvazanJr wrote: »
    Luke is slower

We shall see but not much imo. Luke will still frog leap and be very elusive in battles
  • i dont think luke will be as fast as he was last game, we also have stamina plus they already slowed han down i bet they will do the same to luke. we also dont have traits so luke wont get faster with each kill.
  • kylenpain wrote: »
    i dont think luke will be as fast as he was last game, we also have stamina plus they already slowed han down i bet they will do the same to luke. we also dont have traits so luke wont get faster with each kill.

Nah, they have traits. They're just not set-in-stone, ie customizable. It's that little blue bar at the bottom of the screen. They're not the same as before with different trait levels, but it's just one large passive.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • They have already addressed this many times. Maul is a different type. He is fast, aggressive, powerful, and not defensive. He has that dash ability which the player can use three times before cooldown, and as I've watched videos of players using Maul, they never seem to be at a liability.

However, I am a little concerned about the lightsaber combat if he were to face another Jedi. Can he block lightsabers? I've seen people talking about how the lightsaber combat just doesn't feel real or significant. Kind of like the first Battlefront, which is really just a hack and slash button mashing thing with no real feel to the fighting.

I never heard anyone praising the system in the first EA. Blocking in Pandemic Battlefront 2 was mostly useless against other saber users. It'll all boil down to a power to stun, and a few quick cuts. Also, get ready to get wrecked ya Maul scrubs.
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

I dare you.
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

I dare you.

Both of you chill. Debate, not bicker.

Agreed. My initial comical gesture was misinterpreted but whatever. I just see no point in comparing the two since we don’t have extensive gameplay on Luke and just about none of us have even played with Darth Maul
    hwf0jr.gif
    Can we not?

I agree with you