criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

My #1 reason for canceling my preorder isn't crates and/or pay to win claims

...it's the gray area. You know the area you can't enter without your screen going gray for leaving the battlefield? I understand that there's certain areas where you don't want the other team to go (like spawn points) but most of the map should always be open to everyone. This wasn't an issue in SWBF1 but it does seem to appear in SWBF2 (like it did in BF3 and BF4). Being too aggressive with the gray area prevents players like me who use strategy to say flank the opponent from the side (not camp in their spawn area, nice try) as opposed to run and gun. Also, it takes some realism out of the game when you're forced into a certain area/bottleneck and can't try to disrupt the enemies plans. There's a few other reasons for the cancel as well, but this is my #1.

Replies

• bfloo
    14747 posts Member
    BlowMeow wrote: »
    ...it's the gray area. You know the area you can't enter without your screen going gray for leaving the battlefield? I understand that there's certain areas where you don't want the other team to go (like spawn points) but most of the map should always be open to everyone. This wasn't an issue in SWBF1 but it does seem to appear in SWBF2 (like it did in BF3 and BF4). Being too aggressive with the gray area prevents players like me who use strategy to say flank the opponent from the side (not camp in their spawn area, nice try) as opposed to run and gun. Also, it takes some realism out of the game when you're forced into a certain area/bottleneck and can't try to disrupt the enemies plans. There's a few other reasons for the cancel as well, but this is my #1.

It is too easy to go over the borders.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »

It is too easy to go over the borders.

Can you clarify?
  • I agree but it's not worth canceling my pre-order over.
  • I agree but it's not worth canceling my pre-order over.

I agree, it's not worth canceling over, but like I said, there's other issues as well. It was just my #1 complaint.
  • BlowMeow wrote: »
    I agree but it's not worth canceling my pre-order over.

I agree, it's not worth canceling over, but like I said, there's other issues as well. It was just my #1 complaint.

What are the other issues?
  • I've used the grey area in Naboo to flank pretty well since it gives you a full 10 seconds to use it. Not a lot of people suspect it.
  • CakeShop wrote: »
    I've used the grey area in Naboo to flank pretty well since it gives you a full 10 seconds to use it. Not a lot of people suspect it.

Yep! also went around the castle on Takodana the very first time I played as the FO. Lol. Very useful for those Heavies that like to hang around the lake shore side and your team has the artifact.

And I agree the out of bounds areas aren’t well done so far... sometimes natural boundaries don’t always work, but there are too few on the two maps so far.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • I think it's fair for the spawn protection, but the general map boundary grey area seems to close to areas that could improve the playing field.
    I agree but it's not worth canceling my pre-order over.

What are the other issues?

Thanks for asking. Well, my #2 would probably be the fact that after 5+ hours of beta play and finishing various rounds in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place (never got first) and even had a round with the most kills, I never got to be the hero. That was pretty lame. The battle points system needs an overhaul. I'm decent at FPS, but some people are never going to get those perks and it favors better players (like killstreaks). I like spending in game currency but maybe you can roll it over up to a max so that even crappy players can have a round where they can spend, spend, spend.

Also, I thought the officer class was too weak, y wing too slow and clunky (even for a "stronger" ship) and the sniper class not conducive to the beta map. For example, if you've every played BF Bad Company 2, the maps were wide open and had many elevation changes, so the sniper class was a viable class. In this beta I felt like I just kept using infiltration perk and not much sniping.

A few other complaints as well....
  • Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    What?

Like yes it is annoying to not be able to see the full beauty of these through the skies but enough to cancel a pre-order‽

Sounds crazy to me. This is an issue that can probably get fixed easily.
  • lok
    970 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    I get what your saying,but when i flanked or tried to get behind them i was far enough behind that i was still in the games border..the extreme would be nearly spawn camping...and the side borders are fine imo cause of the 20v20 size isnt that big.....if it were bigger we would all be spending alot of time running.
  • EvazanJr wrote: »
    What?

Like yes it is annoying to not be able to see the full beauty of these through the skies but enough to cancel a pre-order‽

Sounds crazy to me. This is an issue that can probably get fixed easily.

I didn't say it was my ONLY reason, just my #1. I explain in another comment some of my other complaints. I do plan on getting the game, but I'll probably wait for the 1st price drop in case I end up only playing the campaign.
  • lok wrote: »
    I get what your saying,but when i flanked or tried to get behind them i was far enough behind that i was still in the games border..the extreme would be nearly spawn camping...and the side borders are fine imo cause of the 20v20 size isnt that big.....if it were bigger we would all be spending alot of time running.

Definitely don't want spawn camping but Star Wars BF1 did not have this problem (or at least only very slightly). I stopped playing BF3 or 4 (can't remember) for this exact reason. If I see three enemies and I want to flush them out without getting sniped, I want options and paths to do that. Gray areas, if they're too aggressive, limit your way to do that. Plus like I said, the gray areas make the game feel forced instead of like real war/battle.
  • Stops map exploitation glitching, spawn camping, players getting lost and drives players into combat areas
  • Stops map exploitation glitching, spawn camping, players getting lost and drives players into combat areas

Not talking about spawn camping. That's definitely bad. As far players getting lost and combat areas, that doesn't float. Players who play the game even casually will memorize the maps and the radar or minimap shows you where the action is. It wasn't a problem in SWBF1 yet they added severely in the beta map. It's not a good thing.
  • Congratz you won the award for "dumbest thing I've read since i woke up"
  • The definition of nitpicking; if this is your only reason that is
  • Goldhawk1 wrote: »
    Congratz you won the award for "dumbest thing I've read since i woke up"

And I thought other reasons were ridiculous. I really hope I never become the person who says " I'm not gonna buy the game because of the map boundaries. " out of all the **** reasons we've heard so far, this takes the cake.

And I thought other reasons were ridiculous. I really hope I never become the person who says " I'm not gonna buy the game because of the map boundaries. " out of all the **** reasons we've heard so far, this takes the cake.

Idk man, didn't the lawsuit guy say he wasn't going to buy? I may be mistaken.
  • This **** is getting out of control.

Did I say it was my only reason? No. In fact I said there were other reasons. Obviously this map issue is not a big enough reason on its own. Read people. This is just my number #1 because it ruins strategy, gameplay, and realism. And it's a big change since it wasn't present in the SWBF1 except for spawn camping.
  • Apidooom wrote: »
    The definition of nitpicking; if this is your only reason that is

That's why I said repeatedly is that it's NOT my only reason....and I wouldn't call it nitpicking since SWBF1 didn't have it at all.
  • bfloo
    14747 posts Member
    Goldhawk1 wrote: »

Lawsuit guy wins, but boundaries is a close second.

h846398gb27k.png

Lawsuit guy wins, but boundaries is a close second.

Reading comprehension is a virtue.
  • The gray areas were pretty terrible on Takodana. I get the need for boundaries, but when your screen is constantly changing color and giving you a warning, it gets pretty annoying and sucks you out of the game. I didn't really notice the issue on Theed though. Hopefully it's more of an isolated issue with Takodana that they can fix.
    #JustSayNoToReyLo
  • bfloo
    14747 posts Member
    The gray areas were pretty terrible on Takodana. I get the need for boundaries, but when your screen is constantly changing color and giving you a warning, it gets pretty annoying and sucks you out of the game. I didn't really notice the issue on Theed though. Hopefully it's more of an isolated issue with Takodana that they can fix.

The problem with the borders on Theed was when they changed.

I got caught a few times trying to push the droid army back.

h846398gb27k.png

Have to say, I got caught by that too. One time I spent a few seconds finishing off a droid, then turned around and "timed out" right on the stairs up to the palace.

Also near the start of the beta (before I became a pilot God) I crashed a fighter when the time-out screen got in the way.
    All Multiplayer modes playable offline, please. Don't forget the hero/villain AI to fight against too.
    #soloplayersmatter #singleplayersmatter #offlinegamersmatter
  • bfloo
    14747 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

Have to say, I got caught by that too. One time I spent a few seconds finishing off a droid, then turned around and "timed out" right on the stairs up to the palace.

Also near the start of the beta (before I became a pilot God) I crashed a fighter when the time-out screen got in the way.

First time it happened to me I'd finally gotten my first hero, Rey, and couldn't find my way back :'(

Now that I know the maps I can get back, but that needs to be a quick retreat if you push forward as a clone.

h846398gb27k.png

• He cancelled over boundaries.

Next.
  • Aggress
    541 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    I did find the whole map boundary change to be frustrating, especially when fighting as FO. It would add extra salt to the wounds by allowing the rebels to spawn just to the side allowing them to kill people retreating. :/

Did I say it was my only reason? No. In fact I said there were other reasons. Obviously this map issue is not a big enough reason on its own. Read people. This is just my number #1 because it ruins strategy, gameplay, and realism. And it's a big change since it wasn't present in the SWBF1 except for spawn camping.

The fact that its your number 1 reason is why you look silly, not whether or not it your only reason. You might wanna work on your own reading comprehension before you go around telling others that ;).

You can say its not about spawn camping all you want but its definately gonna look that way to anyone else reading your nonsense
  • And I thought other reasons were ridiculous. I really hope I never become the person who says " I'm not gonna buy the game because of the map boundaries. " out of all the **** reasons we've heard so far, this takes the cake.
    Agreed
  • Gay area more like

The fact that its your number 1 reason is why you look silly, not whether or not it your only reason. You might wanna work on your own reading comprehension before you go around telling others that ;).

You can say its not about spawn camping all you want but its definately gonna look that way to anyone else reading your nonsense

It might look silly to you, but it greatly affects how I play. I flank from the side...a lot. If they took something away from your strategy (say no sniper rifles, strong pistols, mini map, etc.) I might not think it's a big deal, but you would. So let's relax a bit there chief. Also, my reading comprehension is fine. In none of my replies have I misspoke about what someone else wrote. On the other hand, there's been quite a few replies that I'm canceling ONLY for boundaries (which I'm not). If it was just that, I'd live with it.

Lastly, it's not about spawn camping or I would've complained about the gray areas in SWBF1. They were present in that game, but not obscene. That's called logic, not nonsense. Did you eat paint chips as a kid? Just curious.
  • Bruh thats only like one map. im sure that alot of maps that comes in release could have a much wider area. Boy Hoth on last battlefront was god mighty big on walker assault

wvpluzpdkre9.gif
  • Well with EA shutting down Visceral, it shows me that this game is worse than I ever expected.

EA has shut down Visceral Games, the studio behind games like Battlefield Hardline and Dead Space, the publisher said today. The Star Wars game in development at Visceral will be revamped and move to a different studio.
    “Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe,” EA’s Patrick Söderlund said. “In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design. We will maintain the stunning visuals, authenticity in the Star Wars universe, and focus on bringing a Star Wars story to life. Importantly, we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of our Frostbite engine and reimagining central elements of the game to give players a Star Wars adventure of greater depth and breadth to explore.”

https://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-visceral-games-1819623990

I am not going to waste my money on this game. It is screwed before launch. Do what you want with your money, I will hold onto mine.
  • Megacharge
    102 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    For me it was the cheaters/hackers in the Battlefront II PC Beta that really freaked me out and caused me to not buy this game. I can also see how the over aggressive out of bounds can be a major factor as well. I really hate that too.
  • Axlerod1 wrote: »
    Well with EA shutting down Visceral, it shows me that this game is worse than I ever expected.

EA has shut down Visceral Games, the studio behind games like Battlefield Hardline and Dead Space, the publisher said today. The Star Wars game in development at Visceral will be revamped and move to a different studio.
    “Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe,” EA’s Patrick Söderlund said. “In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design. We will maintain the stunning visuals, authenticity in the Star Wars universe, and focus on bringing a Star Wars story to life. Importantly, we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of our Frostbite engine and reimagining central elements of the game to give players a Star Wars adventure of greater depth and breadth to explore.”

https://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-visceral-games-1819623990

I am not going to waste my money on this game. It is screwed before launch. Do what you want with your money, I will hold onto mine.

What does this have to do with battlefront 2? Motive, criterion, and dice made this game.

It might look silly to you, but it greatly affects how I play. I flank from the side...a lot. If they took something away from your strategy (say no sniper rifles, strong pistols, mini map, etc.) I might not think it's a big deal, but you would. So let's relax a bit there chief. Also, my reading comprehension is fine. In none of my replies have I misspoke about what someone else wrote. On the other hand, there's been quite a few replies that I'm canceling ONLY for boundaries (which I'm not). If it was just that, I'd live with it.

Lastly, it's not about spawn camping or I would've complained about the gray areas in SWBF1. They were present in that game, but not obscene. That's called logic, not nonsense. Did you eat paint chips as a kid? Just curious.

In several of your previous replies on the thread you are very clearly operating under the belief that people were thinking this was your only reason. Including the ones where they made no mention whatsoever of your number of reasons

There is nothing stopping you from flanking inside the boundaries, I had no issues whatsoever getting around and flanking the ion disruptor carriers regardless of which checkpoint the mtt had reached. Your getting mad over a nonexistant issue.

I have no way of knowing whether or not you complained about the first games boundaries, so you jumping right into an ad hominem attack on me makes you look more and more like a spawn camper cause that was quite easy to do in the first game with how the boundaries were set up. Believe me, it happened to me many times.