criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Focused Feedback

Strike mode is cool and all, but where’s CTF?

It’s a staple mode of all first person shooters in one way or the other, and I can’t understand why it was left out of the game.

I understand the thought process behind the lack of modes. The last game had too many modes, and too few players spread across them, so DICE cut down on the modes to preserve the ability to find a game down the road. But getting rid of great modes like Cargo (a variant of CTF) and drop zone (a variant of king of the hill) was a mistake to me. These were great modes, and were a lot better than Strike, objectively. I’ve played around 5 matches of Strike in the full game, 10+ in the beta, and am not enjoying it. The weird objectives seem to be scattered across the map and I don’t understand the spawn system, whose problem I think is from the asymmetrical maps and objectives. I’ve been killed straightaway off my spawn from someone tearing around our own spawn, and I’ve also gotten right in the enemies spawn, feeling bad as I destroy them before they can even react.

And this isn’t nostalgia from the last game (which I’m the first to tell you its many problems), this is just me being bummed out at the exclusion of CLASSIC game modes that should be in any shooter.

Leaving out small gamemodes is turning away a huge audience of the game. I remember hearing Dennis say that a very large part of the playerbase of Battlefront 2015 played strictly small game modes (believe this was upon the addition of extraction). I was so surprised to see that the only small modes in this game are Blast and Strike, and both had reinforcements in them. And don’t get me wrong, I understand the focus on Galactic assault and heroes vs villains. That’s what battlefront is all about and known for. But you can’t deny the audience behind small game modes, especially classics like capture the flag and king of the hill. I can tell you that my friends and I would’ve spent a lot less time in Battlefront2015 without those modes, and it’s looking like we won’t spend much time in this new game.

I don’t think adding another mode will diffuse the player base too much, and I even believe adding a plain old capture the flag mode with symmetrical maps, no reinforcements, and no heroes would attract more player attention than Strike. Just give us one mode for good old fashioned infantry, objective combat in a format that has proven itself to be loved by many. I see too much of the “New! One-sided! Story Driven objective modes!” In this game, and not enough attention to classics that just work. There’s nothing wrong with trying new things, but there’s definitely nothing wrong with including staples of many games that have shown to be timeless.

Maybe I’m judging too quickly on Strike, and need to play it more first, but I have a feeling that I’m still gonna be aching for a mode with no heroes or reinforcements as I play this game. Let me know what you all think.
Just another sniping YouTuber.

Replies

• I'm with you. Seriously annoyed Cargo isn't in this game, and the lack of non-hero modes in general is disappointing.

Why not consider making Strike available without Heroes & Re-inforcements.
  • I spent most of my time in battlefront playing Cargo. I'm pretty disappointed it's not in this one too. It was one of the few modes where team-play was essential.
  • I almost never played those modes in the last game, but I don't see why other players shouldn't be able to play drop zone & cargo in this game.

The game definitely needs more modes that's for sure.
    ⦗ XBOX GT: EIusive DJ⦘~ "The Knights of Gareth are eternal..." ✔
    \⧹If you happen to have ANY ideas for any hero you desire to have in Battlefront 2, Let me know in a DM!⧸/
    How to make Every Hero Viable in Battlefront 2

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• Bahlof wrote: »
    I spent most of my time in battlefront playing Cargo. I'm pretty disappointed it's not in this one too. It was one of the few modes where team-play was essential.

Definitely! Capture the Flag is usually the most competitive, team-based mode in any shooter. And now we're stuck with Strike and it's random objectives, along with no modes without reinforcements. :(
  • Bahlof
    5 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Bahlof wrote: »
    I spent most of my time in battlefront playing Cargo. I'm pretty disappointed it's not in this one too. It was one of the few modes where team-play was essential.

Definitely! Capture the Flag is usually the most competitive, team-based mode in any shooter. And now we're stuck with Strike and it's random objectives, along with no modes without reinforcements. :(

I only played strike in the beta so I only know the one map but it seems like it could have potential if some tweaks were made. I think the main issue is like you mentioned about the spawn points kinds of being all over the place, It's kind of hard to make a group effort when your enemy spawns right along side you.

Hopefully enough support is gathered to bring cargo back though. It seemed like a fairly popular mode, even after a year I was able to find matches on PC where many of the other small modes were empty.

What I'd personally really love to see is a Last Team Standing kind of mode, but that would be subject of a different post.
  • Bahlof wrote: »
    Bahlof wrote: »

I only played strike in the beta so I only know the one map but it seems like it could have potential if some tweaks were made. I think the main issue is like you mentioned about the spawn points kinds of being all over the place, It's kind of hard to make a group effort when your enemy spawns right along side you.

Hopefully enough support is gathered to bring cargo back though. It seemed like a fairly popular mode, even after a year I was able to find matches on PC where many of the other small modes were empty.

What I'd personally really love to see is a Last Team Standing kind of mode, but that would be subject of a different post.

Yeah, I really hope Cargo gets back in some way shape or form. Imagine a search & destroy mode :open_mouth:
  • I'm pretty sure their logic was to condense all the smaller game modes from SW1 and make it a single playlist i.e. strike- they left Blast in because it was probably the most popular smaller game mode from SW1. I to almost exclusively played cargo and would like to see it return. Galactic Assault and Strike have way to many choke point moments where all the action is gathered around several corridors. I like the freedom to run around the map and get into a 1v1 fight, heck I don't know if I've even had a 1v1 fight yet due to all the close quarter battles.

I think since their doing away with a Season pass, they can get away with having more smaller game modes- the reason those playlists dwindled in the first game was because the community kept splitting with each DLC release.

+1 for Cargo.
  • Ctf is the best mode and it have to come back to this game. If not it will be boring in a few days.
  • Totally Agree! Please bring back Cargo! Thanks for all the work that has been put into the game, it totally needs some more small modes, most importantly CARGO.
  • El_SupaPollo
    1 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    So needed to make ctf/cargo more of a focus, NOT delete the game type !!??!! I wouldn't care if they reused other maps, but deleting the whole game type was very disappointing. They should have:
    1. made cargo maps with larger player counts; in addition to smaller cargo games would be epic to have larger ones
    2. Instant pick up to be more traditional ctf-like, speed up the game. You still need teamwork and there is less frustration.
    3. Made some space cargo maps.
  • I'm with you. Seriously annoyed Cargo isn't in this game, and the lack of non-hero modes in general is disappointing.

Why not consider making Strike available without Heroes & Re-inforcements.

Amen. someone who could care less about "heroes"

All I hear about in this gaming community is hero this, hero that. I want a buff for my hero, I want that hero to be nerfed.

i'm just sitting over here like, I hate heroes, and so do sooooo many other players of this game, yet that's all these devs ever focus on.

most of their patches have been about heroes and villians, like, cool, but when exactly are they going to focus on the majority of players who don't care about heroes and non-hero modes?

it's all just part of the cash grab that didn't happen, because if they microtransactions were still here, people would be paying big bucks to beef up their heroes, yet that of course is gone. yet, they still only focus on these overpowered heroes.

I'm fine with reinforcements, just take away those dirty wookies.
  • I agree with everything OP said. Atm im just picking Up daily crates and returning to bf2015 cargo, Even though bacta-guard is annoying af... (thanks DICE for that ‚rebalance‘ of Star Cards and traits...). with that in mind, my hopes for bfII aint many...
  • It’s a staple mode of all first person shooters in one way or the other, and I can’t understand why it was left out of the game.

I understand the thought process behind the lack of modes. The last game had too many modes, and too few players spread across them, so DICE cut down on the modes to preserve the ability to find a game down the road. But getting rid of great modes like Cargo (a variant of CTF) and drop zone (a variant of king of the hill) was a mistake to me. These were great modes, and were a lot better than Strike, objectively. I’ve played around 5 matches of Strike in the full game, 10+ in the beta, and am not enjoying it. The weird objectives seem to be scattered across the map and I don’t understand the spawn system, whose problem I think is from the asymmetrical maps and objectives. I’ve been killed straightaway off my spawn from someone tearing around our own spawn, and I’ve also gotten right in the enemies spawn, feeling bad as I destroy them before they can even react.

And this isn’t nostalgia from the last game (which I’m the first to tell you its many problems), this is just me being bummed out at the exclusion of CLASSIC game modes that should be in any shooter.

Leaving out small gamemodes is turning away a huge audience of the game. I remember hearing Dennis say that a very large part of the playerbase of Battlefront 2015 played strictly small game modes (believe this was upon the addition of extraction). I was so surprised to see that the only small modes in this game are Blast and Strike, and both had reinforcements in them. And don’t get me wrong, I understand the focus on Galactic assault and heroes vs villains. That’s what battlefront is all about and known for. But you can’t deny the audience behind small game modes, especially classics like capture the flag and king of the hill. I can tell you that my friends and I would’ve spent a lot less time in Battlefront2015 without those modes, and it’s looking like we won’t spend much time in this new game.

I don’t think adding another mode will diffuse the player base too much, and I even believe adding a plain old capture the flag mode with symmetrical maps, no reinforcements, and no heroes would attract more player attention than Strike. Just give us one mode for good old fashioned infantry, objective combat in a format that has proven itself to be loved by many. I see too much of the “New! One-sided! Story Driven objective modes!” In this game, and not enough attention to classics that just work. There’s nothing wrong with trying new things, but there’s definitely nothing wrong with including staples of many games that have shown to be timeless.

Maybe I’m judging too quickly on Strike, and need to play it more first, but I have a feeling that I’m still gonna be aching for a mode with no heroes or reinforcements as I play this game. Let me know what you all think.

That post was prophetical.

I only disagree with the bolded text. Those two modes aren't what popularized Battlefront. Heck, GA wasn't even around until BF17.
    My name is Bob

• bfloo
    15817 posts Member
    It’s a staple mode of all first person shooters in one way or the other, and I can’t understand why it was left out of the game.

That post was prophetical.

I only disagree with the bolded text. Those two modes aren't what popularized Battlefront. Heck, GA wasn't even around until BF17.

He prob means Galactic Conquest, which I still go back and play on occasion.

HvV was one of the many niche modes in the og bf2.

I miss the infantry focus the og's had, it is why I loved the pandemic games.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png