criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

General Star Wars discussions

Replies

• Stalemate wrote: »
    I get chills everytime I watch Rogue One when they show Bail for the first time, the music and acting is perfect.

I know when I saw him in the theater it got a reaction out of me as well. As a whole Rogue One was fantastic, IMO.
    "A thing called grammar needs a buff."
    - tankertoad
  • Just to see a prequel character reprise his role was awesome. Mon Mothma was great too.
  • What do you guys think of Canon Grievous?

• Anyone bothered by the lack of attention padme gets? She is the mother of both Luke and Leia and the main reason anakin joined Palpatine. She greatly deserves more attention, at least a mention or two. I would hope luke possibly mentions her in canon. Also am curious what Kylo think she of his grandma since he’s obsessed with Vader. What do you guys think?
  • DarthJ
    7141 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Cad_Bane wrote: »
    Anyone bothered by the lack of attention padme gets? She is the mother of both Luke and Leia and the main reason anakin joined Palpatine. She greatly deserves more attention, at least a mention or two. I would hope luke possibly mentions her in canon. Also am curious what Kylo think she of his grandma since he’s obsessed with Vader. What do you guys think?

I don't think its lack of attention, I think its more that the OT and ST didn't know her. Luke and Leia didn't know her, with her dying in childbirth. Obi-Wan never told Luke about her, or told Leia either, because he would have wanted to keep them hidden. Telling them would have ended up revealing their true parentage. Similarly, Owen Lars didn't want Obi-Wan near Luke, and didnt tell him about Anakin, other than telling him he died. He thought Anakin was trouble. Plus he barely knew Padme.

Therefore Kylo probably knows next to nothing about her. Leia would probably have barely mentioned her, if at all. Obviously his Grandads life choices were more well known due to Luke I guess.

So overall I think the PT shows how important she is, but its right in the OT and ST not mentioning her due to not knowing her almost. It would be odd if Luke suddenly said something about his mother, as he didn't know her.
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • DarthJ wrote: »
    Anyone bothered by the lack of attention padme gets? She is the mother of both Luke and Leia and the main reason anakin joined Palpatine. She greatly deserves more attention, at least a mention or two. I would hope luke possibly mentions her in canon. Also am curious what Kylo think she of his grandma since he’s obsessed with Vader. What do you guys think?

I don't think its lack of attention, I think its more that the OT and ST didn't know her. Luke and Leia didn't know her, with her dying in childbirth. Obi-Wan never told Luke about her, or told Leia either, because he would have wanted to keep them hidden. Telling them would have ended up revealing their true parentage. Similarly, Owen Lars didn't want Obi-Wan near Luke, and didnt tell him about Anakin, other than telling him he died. He thought Anakin was trouble. Plus he barely knew Padme.

Therefore Kylo probably knows next to nothing about her. Leia would probably have barely mentioned her, if at all. Obviously his Grandads life choices were more well known due to Luke I guess.

So overall I think the PT shows how important she is, but its right in the OT and ST not mentioning her due to not knowing her almost. It would be odd if Luke suddenly said something about his mother, as he didn't know her.

She was well known senator, information could probably be easily found. I also mean currently, I’m sure luke has been more curious about his mother and has tried to find out new information about her. Same with Leia
  • DarthJ
    7141 posts Member
    DarthJ wrote: »

She was well known senator, information could probably be easily found. I also mean currently, I’m sure luke has been more curious about his mother and has tried to find out new information about her. Same with Leia

I do agree that they may have been curious. But the Empire probably censored the information, probably gave Palps kicks. He wouldn't want well known democracy wanting senators to stay well known either

I do agree that they may have been curious. But the Empire probably censored the information, probably gave Palps kicks. He wouldn't want well known democracy wanting senators to stay well known either

But I’m referring to now. After the empire was defeated I’m sure information was more widely available and luke and Leia wanted to find out more. luke has also probably talked to anakin force ghost and discussed details about padme. I just think that I’m some sort of canon material padme should be mentioned by luke and Leia
  • But I’m referring to now. After the empire was defeated I’m sure information was more widely available and luke and Leia wanted to find out more. luke has also probably talked to anakin force ghost and discussed details about padme. I just think that I’m some sort of canon material padme should be mentioned by luke and Leia
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    But I’m referring to now. After the empire was defeated I’m sure information was more widely available and luke and Leia wanted to find out more. luke has also probably talked to anakin force ghost and discussed details about padme. I just think that in some sort of canon material padme should be mentioned by luke and Leia
  • Cad_Bane wrote: »

I believe she's mentioned in bloodlines and there's also this from the Leia comic
    Princess-Leia-2-Padme.jpg

• I agree Padme defintley needs more limelighht, she should be in Battlefront 2.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Off topic but did anyone else just get signed out of the forums recently? Also seems to be a few new features added?
  • I haven't been signed out no, what new features?
  • Stalemate wrote: »
    I haven't been signed out no, what new features?

There’s a new activity section on mobile site
  • Anyone else think the the alien characters from the ST all seem pretty bland? They all seem to mostly be these bland colors. There isn’t any uniqueness to them like there is with species like rodian and duros. They had bright unique colors. Also speaking of them, it would be cool to see the ST introduce more familiar species instead of creating only new species. It makes the series it feel more whole..
  • DarthJ
    7141 posts Member
    Anyone else think the the alien characters from the ST all seem pretty bland? They all seem to mostly be these bland colors. There isn’t any uniqueness to them like there is with species like rodian and duros. They had bright unique colors. Also speaking of them, it would be cool to see the ST introduce more familiar species instead of creating only new species. It makes the series it feel more whole..

That was one of my nitpicks. I get the galaxy is huge, but other than a Sullustan and a Wookie (Nien Nunb and Chewie), there was seriously not one of the older races on Jakku or Takodana? If Maz Castle is similar to the Mos Eisley Cantina, surely this would attract the more rogueish species like Rodians etc.
    Anyone else think the the alien characters from the ST all seem pretty bland? They all seem to mostly be these bland colors. There isn’t any uniqueness to them like there is with species like rodian and duros. They had bright unique colors. Also speaking of them, it would be cool to see the ST introduce more familiar species instead of creating only new species. It makes the series it feel more whole..

That was one of my nitpicks. I get the galaxy is huge, but other than a Sullustan and a Wookie (Nien Nunb and Chewie), there was seriously not one of the older races on Jakku or Takodana? If Maz Castle is similar to the Mos Eisley Cantina, surely this would attract the more rogueish species like Rodians etc.

Exactly. I’m not really a fan of the new species either. They are all too bland.

I like Sidon Ithano and the happabore, but the rest all look like generic orange blobs to me

And The Last Jedi's aliens aren't shaping up too well imo
    image.png
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    I hope that picture isn’t really something from TLJ! Where you’d find that? What is up with every creature having to be a orangeish color!?
    Post edited by Cad_Bane on
  • The darth jar jar is now a canon conspiracy. In the legends of Luke Skywalker book a bartender (I think) says that Vader is the same person as the senator named Jar Jar.
    The PT villains all represent something that Vader is. Maul was manipulated from birth by Palpatine, Count dooku is a former Jedi who became palps apprentice, and general grievous is a cyborg. Vader is all three of those things.
    [

OMG! You are so right!!!

I like Sidon Ithano and the happabore, but the rest all look like generic orange blobs to me

image.png

Lmao what on earth is that.
  • ROMG4
    5306 posts Member

image.png

They ripped off Doctor Who!

pppdiPk.jpg
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    Bring OOM-9, Hondo, Bo Katan, Mara Jade, Dengar, IG-88, Greedo, Zam Wessel General Veers, Tarkin and Rogue One, into the game we must. The way this is
    Tell Me. Have You Ever Heard Of The Tragedy Of Darth Coyler The Wise?
    A OOM-9 Thread!
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/152598/the-oom-9-vs-jar-jar-season

Episode 9's Ending
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6025735/uploads/editor/15/zs312vl0xftg.jpeg
  • bfloo
    17679 posts Member
    ROMG4 wrote: »

image.png

pppdiPk.jpg

At least it doesn't look like a Star Trek character this time.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »

image.png

pppdiPk.jpg

This new characters are all this same orange color. It’s really odd and boring
  • bfloo
    17679 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

image.png

pppdiPk.jpg

Disney only gave them an orange crayon ;)

h846398gb27k.png

image.png

pppdiPk.jpg

Disney only gave them an orange crayon ;)
    True. :D
  • IronSoldier
    3993 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
    http://www.starwars.com/news/rian-johnson-writer-director-of-star-wars-the-last-jedi-to-create-all-new-star-wars-trilogy

The hype is real. Moving intro prop work here in the UK this is inline for being my future job work. oh boi oh boi oh boi.
  • ROTS thought: Did Palpatine insert (implant) the dream/vision of Padme dying during childbirth into Anakin's mind, or was the dream genuine? I mean, did Palpatine just read Anakin's mind and think, "Oh, his wife dies soon, I'll use that to my advantage and make him think I can save her." I like to think Palp implanted the vision. What do you think?
    "Rise."
  • bfloo
    17679 posts Member
    ROTS thought: Did Palpatine insert (implant) the dream/vision of Padme dying during childbirth into Anakin's mind, or was the dream genuine? I mean, did Palpatine just read Anakin's mind and think, "Oh, his wife dies soon, I'll use that to my advantage and make him think I can save her." I like to think Palp implanted the vision. What do you think?

I think it was genuine and Palpatine just exploited it

h846398gb27k.png

• DarthJ
    7141 posts Member
    ROTS thought: Did Palpatine insert (implant) the dream/vision of Padme dying during childbirth into Anakin's mind, or was the dream genuine? I mean, did Palpatine just read Anakin's mind and think, "Oh, his wife dies soon, I'll use that to my advantage and make him think I can save her." I like to think Palp implanted the vision. What do you think?

I think it was genuine and Palpatine just exploited it

Agreed. Feeding him stories of all powerful Sith who keep people alive appealed to him
  • Thanks for the replies. I also think it might be genuine now. What had me leaning toward "Palp manufactured it" was in the scene where Anakin and Yoda are 1-on-1 in the Jedi Temple discussing Anakin's recent dream. When Yoda learns that Anakin is having bad dreams of "someone close to him in pain," Yoda says something like, "Careful you must be when sensing the future. Fear of loss can lead to the dark side." I interpreted that as, "These dreams and visions are false, untrue." I thought that maybe Anakin's future had been deliberately "clouded" (as was mentioned in Episode I by Yoda, "Clouded his future is") by Palpatine, thus fooling him into thinking action must be taken, thus turning to the dark side.
    I suppose the more important scene is the one with Anakin and Palpatine, after doing away with Mace, Palp says that all the jedi are in on a plot to destroy the Republic, and that you are the only one with no knowledge of this plot. Anakin believes him. That's the BIG lie, the lie that convinces Vader that the Jedi must be destroyed. "If they are not all wiped out, it will be civil war, to no end..."
    "Rise."
  • ROTS thought: Did Palpatine insert (implant) the dream/vision of Padme dying during childbirth into Anakin's mind, or was the dream genuine? I mean, did Palpatine just read Anakin's mind and think, "Oh, his wife dies soon, I'll use that to my advantage and make him think I can save her." I like to think Palp implanted the vision. What do you think?

I’m pretty sure palps was behind it. I’m pretty sure it was stated somewhere, possibly in a legends book. Also after anakin kills dooku palps said that it was only natural that anakin wanted revenge and also mentioned a story anakin told him about the sand people and his mother. Many think this was a subtle hint that dooku was behind the capture of anakin’s mom. And if dooku was behind it than so was Palpatine.
  • Might as well just use this to say couple things about Star Wars.

Prequel:
    There seems to be some debate about whether Palpatine let Windu beat him or not to coax Anakin into betraying the Jedi. I think he did not let Windu win. But, Palpatine had great foresight, it was a huge asset for him and part of why he was one of the most powerful Sith ever (didn't seem himself getting chucked into a shaft though) - sure he was a great duelist and also a great force user, but more than anything he was manipulative and cunning and could foresee things. He told Anakin about him being a Sith, knowing the Jedi were going to come for him, and knew Windu is a badass, but knew Anakin was going to save him.

Sure, he sold his wounds to Anakin. "I'm too weak..." was some Grade-A acting, but I feel the Let Windu Win theory gives way too little credit to Windu. Mace was a freakin' beast, possibly the best fighter ever. But he could be beaten if he was too blinded to see Anakin betraying him.

Sequel (and back to Prequel):
    Early in this thread was talk about Rey not being a Jedi but being more grey. I'm not necessarily buying into that, but I think lots of the "boo grey Jedi" people are thinking to extremely into "I'm a Jedi but I also use force lightning therefore I am grey". Rey may just be someone who is good, uses the force, but does not bind herself to either the Jedi code or the darkness - which Luke feels is necessary. For as long as there are Jedi, there are Sith (or wannabe Sith).

And even the Jedi aren't perfect. Sure, they are the good guys, but look at the Jedi in the Republic days. Their lack of empathy and suppression of emotion to Anakin was in part what made him gravitate towards the dark side. Anakin was an emotional dude with a lot of problems. The Jedi just kept on spouting Jedi doctrine in his face, while Palpatine, while manipulative and evil, offered him friendship and support. Obi-wan was the closest thing for something similar to Anakin, but unfortunately not enough.

Prequel again:
    While Anakin/Obi-wan share the stage are technically both the protagonists, to me, Obi-wan is the Main Character of the prequels. He is the rock, the force that constantly fights against evil, the good, and has been around since the very first scene. He was great in those movies.
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Jedi were far from perfect. They contradicted themselves by letting fear of falling victim to emotions rule them.

Fear is the path to the dark side. This lead to Anakin losing his mom because the Jedi wouldn't help free his mom from slavery
  • Anyone else annoyed that most all of the FO officers all seem to be young guys? Its really silly, It should be old veterans that have lots of experience
    Anyone else annoyed that most all of the FO officers all seem to be young guys? Its really silly, It should be old veterans that have lots of experience

I think Hux is meant to be older than he looks as he was apparently around when the FO was formed.

I don't mind that its young officers, they give more the impression of a brainwashed cult, which in a way they are.
  • bfloo
    17679 posts Member
    Anyone else annoyed that most all of the FO officers all seem to be young guys? Its really silly, It should be old veterans that have lots of experience

It explains why they made so many dumb military decisions.

They knew the map was on Jakku, they all go back to the ship.

They needed the map, so they deploy bombers to blow it up.

They blew up the New Republic capitol, just because they could.

Starkiller base security was terrible.

Their mortal enemy the resistance shows up on Takodana, while they had a defensive position, they withdrew.

Where did Snoke find these people , I could make better military decisions then the First Order made in TFA :(

h846398gb27k.png

• Trooper8059
    10199 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    On the topic of Palpatine manipulating or exploiting, I have a question in that area as well.

During the opera house scene, Palpatine informs Anakin that their "Clone Intelligence units have discovered the location of General Grievous." and that "He's hiding in the Utapau system."

I was wondering whether or not Palpatine simply gave away Grievous's location to Anakin to push his plans into motion quicker, or if Grievous was actually tracked so quickly by Intelligence.

I know that later on Anakin informs the council that "A partial message was intercepted in a diplomatic packet from the Chairman of Utapau." But this could easily just be nonsense Palpatine used as his "evidence".

I feel this is further supported when Obi-Wan actually arrives on Utapau and Tion Medon tries to discretely inform him that the Separatists are on the planet. Wouldn't they already know help was on the way?
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • bfloo
    17679 posts Member
    On the topic of Palpatine manipulating or exploiting, I have a question in that area as well.

During the opera house scene, Palpatine informs Anakin that their "Clone Intelligence units have discovered the location of General Grievous." and that "He's hiding in the Utapau system."

I was wondering whether or not Palpatine simply gave away Grievous's location to Anakin to push his plans into motion quicker, or if Grievous was actually tracked so quickly by Intelligence.

I know that later on Anakin informs the council that "A partial message was intercepted in a diplomatic packet from the Chairman of Utapau." But this could easily just be nonsense Palpatine used as his "evidence".

I feel this is further supported when Obi-Wan actually arrives on Utapau and Tion Medon tries to discretely inform him that the Separatists are on the planet. Wouldn't they already know help was on the way?

I think Palpatine engineered it.

He could easily enough set up the CIS to get caught by Clone Intelligence for appearances sake.

h846398gb27k.png

• DarthJ
    7141 posts Member

I believe Palpatine gave Grievous location up to put his plans in motion, like someone said he could engineer evidence if need be. It was a way to push Anakin further away from the Jedi, when he asks to be sent as per Palps request and gets knocked back. Also isolates Anakin from potentially the only person who might have kept him on track in Obi-Wan.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited November 2017

Palpatine would obviously know grievous’ location so I’m sure palps just informed anakin. It makes sense since the people on Utapau didn’t seem to know help was coming. And also speaking of grievous, I’ve always wondered what if he escaped from Obi Wan and survived after the war ended? would the empire/Palpatine have used him for anything? I’m sure he would be obedient to palps if he asked him for something.
  • DarthJ
    7141 posts Member

Palpatine would obviously know grievous’ location so I’m sure palps just informed anakin. It makes sense since the people on Utapau didn’t seem to know help was coming. And also speaking of grievous, I’ve always wondered what if he escaped from Obi Wan and survived after the war ended? would the empire/Palpatine have used him for anything? I’m sure he would be obedient to palps if he asked him for something.

I think he'd turn into a hunted rogue general if anything. New EU stuff has mentioned Seperatist outposts holding out so he would have went to one of these. The Empire would probably have made him a priority then to get rid of.
  • bfloo
    17679 posts Member

The plan was to charge Grievous with war crimes and execute him if Dooku survived his duel with Anakin in RotS.

h846398gb27k.png

The plan was to charge Grievous with war crimes and execute him if Dooku survived his duel with Anakin in RotS.

Hmm I didn’t know that. Where is that info from.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited November 2017

I think he'd turn into a hunted rogue general if anything. New EU stuff has mentioned Seperatist outposts holding out so he would have went to one of these. The Empire would probably have made him a priority then to get rid of.

Hmm I didn’t know that. Where is that info from?
  • Hmmm I didnt know that. Where is that info from?
    Hmmm I didnt know that. Where is that info from?

I know it was hinted at in the ROTS novel. It was in a discussion between Palpatine and Dooku moments before Anakin and Obi-Wan arrived.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Removed