criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Clone Commando Community Transmission
September Community Calendar

Potential prequel CGI fix

The CGI used in the prequel trilogy look just awful compared to our current CGI capabilities so why doesn't Disney just switch out the old with the new it would make the prequels slightly more enjoyable and far better looking Search your feelings you know it to be true

Replies

• CGI can't fix the terrible story in those movies (especially Ep. 1)
    The greatest moderator that EA has ever had.

I dont get the hate for The Phantom Menace honestly. Yeah Jar Jar is cringeworthy but he doesnt break the movie. Story wise its Attack of the Clones thats terrible. I almost feel like skipping that Episode everytime i go through a marathon.

Can't argue with that

• GreenRey wrote: »
    CGI can't fix the terrible story in those movies (especially Ep. 1)

I dont get the hate for The Phantom Menace honestly. Yeah Jar Jar is cringeworthy but he doesnt break the movie. Story wise its Attack of the Clones thats terrible. I almost feel like skipping that Episode everytime i go through a marathon.

Because people are on a bandwagon.
  • At least from the trailers, ep7 graphically looks more like the original trilogy.

No bandwagon here, Anakin's story line was cringeworthy at best

No, it's a bandwagon. And don't worry there's a bandwagon growing already for this new one. There are already people who nitpicked and criticized the prequels already attacking this new movie. It never stops so I just ignore all of it. Everyone wants to seem like they always hated the prequels when clearly they were 8-12 and had a jar jar binks doll in their room.

• Anapoda
    741 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    There is literally nothing good about the phantom menace. it' an awful movie start to finish.

The story is boring, actors looks they don't want to be there, the humor is a nightmare, the actually pulled a virgin mary on us (and the oscar for laziness goes to George Lucas), the midichlorians stuff is laughable at best, Darth Maul barely said a freaking word and dies like a clown and it looks like a 2 hour long video game.

At least in episode 2 there are some saving graces, like Jango, the clones and Kamino which i really liked.

Nothing to save here in episode 1. If there is a bandwagon then its name is truth.
  • Anapoda wrote: »
    There is literally nothing good about the phantom menace. it' an awful movie start to finish.

The story is boring, actors looks they don't want to be there, the humor is a nightmare, the actually pulled a virgin mary on us (and the oscar for laziness goes to George Lucas), the midichlorians stuff is laughable at best, Darth Maul barely said a freaking word and dies like a clown and it looks like a 2 hour long video game.

At least in episode 2 there are some saving graces, like Jango, the clones and Kamino which i really liked.

Nothing to save here in episode 1. If there is a bandwagon then its name is truth.

Lets not forget Darth Vader building C-3PO
  • In Episodes I-III you get the back story to the OT; Old Republic and the Senate, Coruscant, the Clone Wars, the rise of Palpatine and the Sith, a glimpse of the Jedi in their prime before their fall and that of Anakin Skywalker, the birth of the Galactic Empire... The story that's always been there, always hinted at in the OT. Nothing wrong with the story. CGI was inevitable, stop motion animation and matte paintings (yes they never always built all the sets, you know) are dated. Actors portrayed their roles well; Jedi and politicians are not going to be sweating and crying in every other scene like in the rip off that is TFA.

No, it's a bandwagon. And don't worry there's a bandwagon growing already for this new one. There are already people who nitpicked and criticized the prequels already attacking this new movie. It never stops so I just ignore all of it. Everyone wants to seem like they always hated the prequels when clearly they were 8-12 and had a jar jar binks doll in their room.

Because I find Anakin's story in the first movie bad, I am on a bandwagon?

k

Because I find Anakin's story in the first movie bad, I am on a bandwagon?

k

Anakin's whole role in the prequels was cringeworthy at best. Was much better in the Clone Wars. Makes me wonder why everyone thinks Ren is such an interesting character, when he's just whiny Anakin to an extreme level.
  • Zephkiel wrote: »
    Anakin's whole role in the prequels was cringeworthy at best. Was much better in the Clone Wars. Makes me wonder why everyone thinks Ren is such an interesting character, when he's just whiny Anakin to an extreme level.

I think the acting helped play a role in how the character is. Some of Anakin's moments wouldn't be so bad if he didn't have that whining inflection to his voice.

I think the acting helped play a role in how the character is. Some of Anakin's moments wouldn't be so bad if he didn't have that whining inflection to his voice.

I often wondered that. I never really had a problem with the lines themselves so much as the delivery. It's hard to say if Christensen is to blame, or the director. I do find his character much more enjoyable in the novels, and they mostly use the same lines.
  • You people ... are focussing on tedious details and comparing them with a point of reference of 'standard' behaviour from your own experiences today. There's so much more to these stories that is read between the lines, emotions, symbolism, psychology, wisdom, and more. I suppose you need to experience them first in order to see them. As for the CGI, there not that bad. You should have seen the originals before they were remastered with the 'standards' from 15 years ago. A little empathy and imagination goes a long way. A very little example is the name Obiwan, wich is 0 be 1. Dive in to numerology and see what you can come up with... :)
    Zephkiel wrote: »

I often wondered that. I never really had a problem with the lines themselves so much as the delivery. It's hard to say if Christensen is to blame, or the director. I do find his character much more enjoyable in the novels, and they mostly use the same lines.

This is probably the reason I enjoyed Anakin in the Jedi quest series of books I mean Anakin whins so much about everything in the series but without that inflection it did not bother me that much
  • Mr. Plinkett's prequel reviews or bust.
  • I love how the OP was just asking for remastered prequels and the thread immediately becomes a discussion on how bad the prequels were.

I don't think the CGI for those movies is so outdated that it needs revision yet, and this is coming from someone who has I and II on VHS.
  • Kj-ZoSo
    609 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    People probably don't realise just how much work that went into sets, costumes, creature prosthetics, and filming miniatures (locations and vehicles) of the prequel trilogy. Check this thread out, it's amazing:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/practical-effects-in-the-prequels-sets-pictures-models-etc.50017310/

Lots of people probably couldn't tell what was real or not in lots of cases, too busy moaning about all the CGI not realising lots of stuff was actually real.

They did what they always did, decided which method was needed to make the required effect best, within a budget, in order to tell a story.

Check out the large photo on the first page of the Mos Espa Pod Racing arena's grandstand (middle archway). Looks like Shadows Of The Empire and Prince Xizor are canon, no matter what Disney declare. ;)

• at least someone bothered to write an original script episode 7 is a copy and paste with characters just changing roles. Han becomes Obi Wan, Luke becomes Yoda etc. Another death star? It was overdone in Return of the Jedi.
  • Kj-ZoSo wrote: »
    People probably don't realise just how much work that went into sets, costumes, creature prosthetics, and filming miniatures (locations and vehicles) of the prequel trilogy. Check this thread out, it's amazing:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/practical-effects-in-the-prequels-sets-pictures-models-etc.50017310/

Lots of people probably couldn't tell what was real or not in lots of cases, too busy moaning about all the CGI not realising lots of stuff was actually real.

They did what they always did, decided which method was needed to make the required effect best, within a budget, in order to tell a story.

Check out the large photo on the first page of the Mos Espa Pod Racing arena's grandstand (middle archway). Looks like Shadows Of The Empire and Prince Xizor are canon, no matter what Disney declare. ;)

I am well aware of how much work that went into making the prequels they are like my some of my Favourite "the making of " videos around but I still think improving the CGI would improve the movies visuals
  • Maybe. But they'll always be infinitely better than Disney's money grabbing rip-offs and spinoffs.
  • Its basically down to Anakins story, that's what's been criticised about the movie. Basically critic's say they Didn't want to see a movie about a boy called Anakin, they started his age too young, some say he should of already been in his 20s. The Clone Wars, was flawed but does have a saving grace to it.
  • Then they don't like STAR WARS.

It's Anakin's story, and that of the Skywalker family. If people had just said they didn't like the story, well there's no accounting for taste. But the exaggerated complaints about CGI in the prequels when there are more practical effects in them than there was in the OT and they didn't realise things they were calling fake CGI they were actually practical effects (http://boards.theforce.net/threads/practical-effects-in-the-prequels-sets-pictures-models-etc.50017310/), if it weren't so sad it would be laughable. The marketing behind Disney's spinoff, all about real this and real that... in a real desert etc., it's all been done more in the PT. There's no doubt in my mind George Lucas sold his creations because of the ill founded complaints, now we don't get to know what really happens.

I don't get what's flawed with AOTC? Anakin is like 20 something, thereabouts. Jedi in training, Palpatine scheming and Clone army. Anakin struggling with his emotions over Padme, the loss of his mother. Jedi vs Sith, the start of The Clone Wars. It's all awesome. Some of the CGI parts don't look photorealistic to some people so they just trash it, like the old stop motion and matte paintings of the OT were all photorealistic and ultra convincing an effect. PT was exactly the same as the OT, in that they used all the tools available to, in time and budget, tell the story.

Sadly a lot of fans wanted the same story, nothing new. So now that's what they got with Di$ney. J. J. Abrams answered the 'remake' criticism with the notion that George Lucas was influenced by other things like Flash Gordon when he was younger. But there's a difference between inspiration and influence, against a direct rip-off marketed at people who didn't like all of the originality.
  • Kj-ZoSo wrote: »
    Then they don't like STAR WARS.

It's Anakin's story, and that of the Skywalker family. If people had just said they didn't like the story, well there's no accounting for taste. But the exaggerated complaints about CGI in the prequels when there are more practical effects in them than there was in the OT and they didn't realise things they were calling fake CGI they were actually practical effects (http://boards.theforce.net/threads/practical-effects-in-the-prequels-sets-pictures-models-etc.50017310/), if it weren't so sad it would be laughable. The marketing behind Disney's spinoff, all about real this and real that... in a real desert etc., it's all been done more in the PT. There's no doubt in my mind George Lucas sold his creations because of the ill founded complaints, now we don't get to know what really happens.

I don't get what's flawed with AOTC? Anakin is like 20 something, thereabouts. Jedi in training, Palpatine scheming and Clone army. Anakin struggling with his emotions over Padme, the loss of his mother. Jedi vs Sith, the start of The Clone Wars. It's all awesome. Some of the CGI parts don't look photorealistic to some people so they just trash it, like the old stop motion and matte paintings of the OT were all photorealistic and ultra convincing an effect. PT was exactly the same as the OT, in that they used all the tools available to, in time and budget, tell the story.

Sadly a lot of fans wanted the same story, nothing new. So now that's what they got with Di$ney. J. J. Abrams answered the 'remake' criticism with the notion that George Lucas was influenced by other things like Flash Gordon when he was younger. But there's a difference between inspiration and influence, against a direct rip-off marketed at people who didn't like all of the originality.

Well said