criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Obi-Wan Kenobi Community Quests

Phasma: simple ability buffs.

Been thinking about Captain Phasma's trio of abilities and how they could be easily buffed to give her more strength in close quarters as well as to make her a bit more unique amongst the game's heroes and villains.

Summary:
Staff Strikes - increase lunge, block/stagger melee attackers
Survivor - render immune/resistant to slows, stuns, and throws
Turret - increase blaster targeting speed and range

Regarding Staff Strikes, I know pretty much everyone agrees that it's a weak and ultimately dangerous ability to try to use, but there are two small changes that I think could be made to make it much more effective. The first and most obvious is to increase the hit range slightly. Rather than simply giving it a wider radius, having Phasma lunge forward slightly with each attack like saber heroes do would be the best way to ensure this attacks hits more consistently.

A bigger but equally simple buff would be to make it function like a block against melee opponents. Swinging the staff would function like blocking with your lightsaber, and timing it correctly would briefly stun attacking saber users, allowing Phasma to easily follow through with additional strikes. This is obviously very situational, but would give Phasma some much-needed utility against melee opponents while also forcing Luke and Rey players to think a little more about how they approach her.

On the subject of Survivor, this ability isn't bad, but is just underwhelming when compared to Yoda's healing or Finn's Big Deal, both of which can provide comparable health boosts while also aiding teammates. In keeping with the theme of the Survivor ability, and to make Phasma feel a bit more special, an added effect of the ability could be to make her immune or less susceptible to stuns and throws. Melee or weapon attacks that would normally slow or stagger a player could be shrugged off, abilities like Force Push could stagger her and just push her back slightly rather than knocking her down, and shocks like from Chewie's grenade or Lando's trap could affect her for a shorter time. This would make Survivor less a means of strictly reducing damage and more a way to counter other heroes or abilities.

The First Order turret is mostly okay right now, but I think it would be reasonable for it to target enemies with its blaster shots more quickly and at a slightly longer range. As it is, it just feels very inconsistent.

Thoughts?

Replies

• You know there is a really good star card that gives her 50% immunity with survivor. It's amazing ability. But making her immune to pushs throws pulls etc would make it a too powerful ability.

Far as the turret goes, it needs to shoot faster and do more damage. The turret itself needs double the hp also.
    "I play Star Wars like real life, I try not to die if possible."

k2bblaxemr26.png

PS4 EventHorizonOH
  • Saboteur6
    301 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I agree that Staff Strike should forward advance and track a bit better since it's startup is lengthy. I disagree with it trading safely with saber users though. It feels designed to punish characters that are hard CC'd or stationary flanked targets. It's not meant as an initiating melee ability.

Immunity to CC via Survivor I'm against. Turret damage buff might be something worth looking into though.

(Old Patch) HvV-Brawler/Support Yoda Teamfight Series
    (Old Patch) Yoda - Block/Unleash video guide

• when I prefer to run as Officer with my Blurrg than play Phasma then something is wrong with her kit.
  • Saboteur6
    301 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    when I prefer to run as Officer with my Blurrg than play Phasma then something is wrong with her kit.

Or maybe something is wrong with the Blurrg?

(Old Patch) HvV-Brawler/Support Yoda Teamfight Series
    (Old Patch) Yoda - Block/Unleash video guide

• She Needs a buff, but wouldn't it be better to just increase the Speed of the Animation? I also would like to see a Little bit more damage from her weapon and that her weapon is faster precise. Her Survive ability is ok how it is but her Turret is also to weak he should target his enemys when located and should have a bigger range, and also the turret should stun just a bit longer (Like 0,15 secs) to notice that they are stunned
  • She Needs a buff, but wouldn't it be better to just increase the Speed of the Animation? I also would like to see a Little bit more damage from her weapon and that her weapon is faster precise. Her Survive ability is ok how it is but her Turret is also to weak he should target his enemys when located and should have a bigger range, and also the turret should stun just a bit longer (Like 0,15 secs) to notice that they are stunned

It's not so much faster animation needed. It the design of the staff that is kind of messed up. It needs a lunge and the knock back/knock down needs to happen only on the last hit. Also faster animation or the ability to roll out of it.
    "I play Star Wars like real life, I try not to die if possible."

k2bblaxemr26.png

PS4 EventHorizonOH
  • Captain Phasma needs a major buff. In galactic assault her staff gets her killed more often than not get her killed when she uses it. The animation takes way to long to start and to finish. She gets stunned when she gets hit and is trying to use it, which cancels the long animation.

To fix her staff I would do one or some combination of the following.
    • the reach and/or the angle of the hit box for her staff needs to be increased. This includes changing the hit box so that it goes more vertically, up or down. I've missed several times when a player was slightly lower or higher than me on a ramp
    • The speed of the animation needs to be increased.
    • make it uninterruptible. The staff currently gets interrupted if a jedi lands a regular saber hit. The staff strike ought to be her answer to a jedi that gets too close.

Her survivor ability is fine, I suppose, but I would say she needs a larger buff. The reason being is her buff only affects her, and not any teammates, when both Finn and Yoda can offer heftier buffs to their team. Plus her health boost is smaller than what Finn or Yoda would get. Her survivor perk isn't a must fix item though.

Her droid works fine, especially with the star cards, but I would add the ability to manually tear down the droid without having to destroy it and send it to cool down. My reasoning is that the officer and heavy class troopers can all tear down their own turrets, why not Captain Phasma. That's the only change I'd add to her droid.

I think her gun is fine, people need to realize that it is super inaccurate at first but quickly gains accuracy. Plus if you land the perfect overheat reload her blaster can be fired for what seems like forever. I wouldnt make any changes.
  • I really only play Phasma for Heroes v Villains, but the only thing that really needs a buff is her staff strike, cuz it's trash. It should

Go faster,
    Maybe auto-lock onto an enemy a bit so i'm not just beating the air around me,
    and maybe allow it to counter a sabre strike or something.
    OR give it like shock damage or something cool.
  • According to her star cards, we're supposed to use her staff really often ( I think we have 3 cards about the staff, and only one about her blaster). The really question is: how?
    In HvV ok, I can see how, in combination with the shock drone. But in GA? That thing is so slow, if you use it you're dead. It's pointless to use it.
    I wouldn't mind using her staff, but god that thing is utter cr*p. It seems the only viable option is her blaster, and its spread is terrible....
  • Well if you use the star card for her blaster, she can take out groups of enemies without overheating. And since the spread gets more accurate as you shoot, you can just lay on the trigger and her gun won't actually get overheated.