criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

winning a match is pointless.

Prev1
i love this game. i think its awesome...
but i wonder why winning a match is completely pointless?!?
there is nothing better in winning a match of galactic assault.... we dont get any kind of reward... no extra points.. no loot crates... nothing.
why?

this is such a poor design choice for such a great (and huge) game.

Replies

• You should be feeling a sense of pride and accomplishment . ^^
  • I hate to lose. I will suicide any hero or trooper to win. Winning like Charlie Sheen or bust..
    Ace speeder pilot.
    http://bit.ly/2smYu2B playa from day 1 when shift was real
  • I agree there should be a reward for winning.
    But with the current state of the game they should focus on improving the matchmaking and then
    implement rewards for the winners.

The problem now is that there is no team shuffle and if you join a server and beeing put on the winning team you will win the next couple of rounds as well without much effort.
  • Here is a great reward... it's called "winning".

• Since when does a game have to reward you with anything for winning? I've played TF2 and Planetside 2 over a thousand hours each and neither reward me with anything for winning and you wanna know why I loved playing them just like I love playing this, it's because winning in a competition is the reward. If you want to be given things for winning you should probably play an MMO or single player RPG
  • Rewarding the winners could hurt the feelings of the los.....non-winners.
  • I don't have a problem with the current setup.

In fact, due to the apparent difficulty in creating balanced teams, it is rather good that win or lose we are rewarded equally for the personal results we achieve in the match.

What is a shame for me is when people constantly quit games at the first indication of a lose.

So basically, I'd love to see better team balance where similar skill levels result in close matches, not super humans who almost score more kills than the other team combined or well drilled premade groups who all end up on one team steam rolling the other team that constantly has players leaving.

All in all though, I'm still really enjoying the game, win or lose.

Bye and have fun out there.
  • Should be greater reward for winning
  • waldfee
    6 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @Vexation
    hmmm the first star wars battlefront two years ago gave you extra xp/points for winning. overwatch does that. battlefield1 also does it....
    nothing special. and i think it would be ok to get some extra cash or points for winning to rank up those star cards etc.
    or they just have to celebrate the win in another way... the way its now, i sometimes even wont realize i won. its more like "match is over".....

and again.. i love this game. i play it very often... my main game at the moment. so i am not saying its *****. i just want it to stay alive.

greets
    waldfee
  • waldfee wrote: »
    @Vexation
    hmmm the first star wars battlefront two years ago gave you extra xp/points for winning. overwatch does that. battlefield1 also does it....
    nothing special. and i think it would be ok to get some extra cash or points for winning to rank up those star cards etc.
    or they just have to celebrate the win in another way... the way its now, i sometimes even realize i won. its more like "match is over".....

and again.. i love this game. i play it very often... my main game at the moment. so i am not saying its ****. i just want it to stay alive.

greets
    waldfee

And I appreciate that other games do it but in saying that there's more games that don't and have not, in fact it's been the standard in a lot more games that you don't get anything for winning. Personally I don't believe that needs change. Objectively speaking though it should definitely not change anyway until a fix is implemented for the games current imbalances otherwise you'll have people dropping from games even quicker than they do now when against a moderately stacked team because they'll go in search of a winning team to gain the extra incentives. So even if it weren't my personal opinion that you don't need a reward or carrot on the stick to win, with how the game is currently it'd create even greater imbalance issues. At least until that area is fixed.
  • @Vexation
    yeah you are right. the current imbalance and matchmaking problems need to be fixed first. and these things are bigger problems... bigger in terms of impact
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    Here is a great reward... it's called "winning".

@t3hBar0n this exactly!!
  • ^^^^^
  • bfloo
    16112 posts Member
    If someone needs an added incentive to win, I hope they are never on my team.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• An extra 100-200c or so for winning wouldnt hurt, its not like the reward for winning itself would not be diminished. It would encourage more team play and perhaps people would be less likely to just rack up kills in fighters or across map as a hero and attack the objectives as well.
  • Hanzo
    1677 posts Member
    edited January 2018

tenor.gif?itemid=4887117
  • FriedPizza773
    1182 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    EvazanJr wrote: »
    Should be greater reward for winning

I certainly doesn't sound a bad idea. But, and the end of the day, what matter most is that you, your teammates and your opponents want to be as much challenges as possible against each other even if there isn't a greater reward for winners, and that what makes games like this fun to play.
    Post edited by FriedPizza773 on
    PSN: FriedPizza773
  • I just like the screen that says "Victory."

But then again, I'm old and don't need to be rewarded for everything I do....

Exactly. The point of playing a game is to try and win. It should be fun. It is more fun to win. And as a very wise man once said, "If winning weren't important you wouldn't keep score."

What are they teaching you children?
  • Honestly it would be really nice to at least be able to tell the other team how badly they suck afterwards.. That'd be plenty enough for me.
  • Saber91
    1021 posts Member
    waldfee wrote: »
    i love this game. i think its awesome...
    but i wonder why winning a match is completely pointless?!?
    there is nothing better in winning a match of galactic assault.... we dont get any kind of reward... no extra points.. no loot crates... nothing.
    why?

this is such a poor design choice for such a great (and huge) game.

well because some people get stuck with a bunch of muppets for teammates and they cant help but lose
  • We’re here.

• Hanzo wrote: »

tenor.gif?itemid=4887117

this
    Ace speeder pilot.
  • so at this time its like this

Def stall as long you can then lose .... 2nd phase same as 1rst ... 3rd phase play to win or stall as much you can so you get more creds at end.

Attackers ....win..... win.... win/stall/lose :smiley: when i say lose.... lose very very slowly... when i say slowly mean f'n slow.
  • so the majority thinks some extra points for the winner is a bad idea. i dont think its new to video games that the winner gets a bit more than the loser....

but aight. i´ll respect that.

have fun everybody
  • waldfee wrote: »
    so the majority thinks some extra points for the winner is a bad idea. i dont think its new to video games that the winner gets a bit more than the loser....

but aight. i´ll respect that.

have fun everybody

That isn't at all what I'm saying. I'm saying I don't need extra points to want to try and win. I don't believe in "a game not worth the candle."

• Dash
    11681 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Rewarding the winners could hurt the feelings of the los.....non-winners.

Yeah that would set off a chain reaction of Posts about “Steam Rolling win Farmers”

When I win, I sit back at look at my game room

X4PbyS4.jpg?

:wink:
    Origin ID: "NWG_Dash"

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

"When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Koon

Licensed REALTOR®
    rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

• Blazur
    4468 posts Member
    OP is absolutely right, there's no incentive to win unless there happens to be some daily challenges associated with winning. The devs should consider adding a small credit bonus to the winning team to rewards tryhards.
    The greatest teacher, failure is.
  • zLogen wrote: »
    You should be feeling a sense of pride and accomplishment . ^^

Yep. That why I play, to win.
  • Blazur wrote: »
    OP is absolutely right, there's no incentive to win unless there happens to be some daily challenges associated with winning. The devs should consider adding a small credit bonus to the winning team to rewards tryhards.

Other than that to win you have to Play The Objective, and Playing the OBjective honesty gives really good score in this game - abeit in the beginning it seems rather low. (and tbh capturing/Slicing needs to give more score to one who is doing it and those who protect him). On the other hand AT-AT,AT-M6 and MTT + using the launchers give score very generoulsly. And with greater Score comes greater creditis and faster rank up's which gives also more credits.
    "Continue with the operation; you may fire when ready."

PSN: ElChubaNibre
    YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY10YSqY1N-qZyuQmirM3ow
  • bfloo
    16112 posts Member
    If people wont play to win without an added incentive gaming really is dead. No wonder every game is a steam roll, the losing side just doesn't care.

Winning > losing

h846398gb27k.png

• The reward is winning and not loosing. I don't see any point giving out extra credits or points for winning. The setup seems fine the way it is. Although I do think that yeah they should mix up the teams after each match. That would at least keep things interesting and unpredictable
  • kjmotz
    257 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Most of the mechanics of this game were built to service their microtransaction model. Things like not awarding credits based on in-game performance, randomly generated progression, and - as the OP is discussing - not giving players a win bonus are all very intentionally designed to remove your locus of control. It was built to tell you that the best way to get ahead isn't your skill, or time spent playing -- but, to purchase more loot crates and to buy in. Overtime as players realize that they actually have very little control over their progression and their outcomes it creates an environment that favors spending more money to take shortcuts/get ahead.

People are going to point out that they removed microtransactions! But, you have to realize that large portions of the game were designed, built, and hardwired to support the chosen business model.
  • @kjmotz
    this! makes sense to me... hopefully all of that will change somehow.

i mean come on, think of overwatch.... you get a bonus for lots of things. first win a day etc.

when people say "i just play to win, no need for a bonus"
    then why do we have xp system/credits/crafting parts after all ?
    there is a grind in this game.. i dont have a problem with that. i love the grind... but there should be more control on how to handle this grind.
  • kjmotz wrote: »
    Most of the mechanics of this game were built to service their microtransaction model. Things like not awarding credits based on in-game performance, randomly generated progression, and - as the OP is discussing - not giving players a win bonus are all very intentionally designed to remove your locus of control. It was built to tell you that the best way to get ahead isn't your skill, or time spent playing -- but, to purchase more loot crates and to buy in. Overtime as players realize that they actually have very little control over their progression and their outcomes it creates an environment that favors spending more money to take shortcuts/get ahead.

People are going to point out that they removed microtransactions! But, you have to realize that large portions of the game were designed, built, and hardwired to support the chosen business model.

Well said.
  • kjmotz
    257 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    there is a grind in this game.. i dont have a problem with that. i love the grind... but there should be more control on how to handle this grind.

Agreed. Grinding is fine -- anyone who loves gaming is fine with some grind. However, the difference is that in most other games your grind can be very focused and intentional. With this game, you can focus on milestones and you can upgrade certain cards -- but, most of it is tied to the randomly generated loot system and rewards are generally standardized. This was designed to give you just enough control to feel like you're doing something while keeping most things bottlenecked, limited, and slow moving.

Basically, think of this in the same way that you would a free-to-play mobile game. Its the identical business model and control strategies being used.

Agreed. Grinding is fine -- anyone who loves gaming is fine with some grind. However, the difference is that in most other games your grind can be very focused and intentional. With this game, you can focus on milestones and you can upgrade certain cards -- but, most of it is tied to the randomly generated loot system and rewards are generally standardized. This was designed to give you just enough control to feel like you're doing something while keeping most things bottlenecked, limited, and slow moving.

Basically, think of this in the same way that you would a free-to-play mobile game. Its the identical business model and control strategies being used.

yeah.. sad. wonder what EA/dice are up to... change something? let this young game die?
  • kjmotz
    257 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @waldfee

Changes are needed and I think the community has been making that clear. And, we can only hope that the devs are hearing us and taking steps towards forward on the big topics (like AFK, progression, customization, and the game's economy) -- it's hard to gauge though! So far, their communications with us have been very infrequent and lacking any real details.

One thing I want to make clear though is that I don't think this game is doomed to die. And, I don't want it to! It's a lot of fun to play and as a Star Wars fan this is the best thing out right now to enjoy.

I am simply wanting to make sure that people are seeing the bigger picture when asking for or discussing topics like these. Love the game or not -- there are very real, business level decisions that were made. Sadly, not everything in a game these days is built to service the player or our experiences. Once we accept that our feedback to a game can be more directed, constructive and focussed.

@waldfee

Changes are needed and I think the community has been making that clear. And, we can only hope that the devs are hearing us and taking steps towards forward on the big topics (like AFK, progression, customization, and the game's economy) -- it's hard to gauge though! So far, their communications with us have been very infrequent and lacking any real details.

One thing I want to make clear though is that I don't think this game is doomed to die. And, I don't want it to! It's a lot of fun to play and as a Star Wars fan this is the best thing out right now to enjoy.

I am simply wanting to make sure that people are seeing the bigger picture when asking for or discussing topics like these. Love the game or not -- there are very real, business level decisions that were made. Sadly, not everything in a game these days is built to service the player or our experiences. Once we accept that our feedback to a game can be more directed, constructive and focussed.

amen.
  • On Jan 7 this year, Yong Yea made a video about EA's matchmaking that I found interesting. I learned that EA can basically predict the outcome of a game based on user stats effectively controlling how often a player wins and loses. EA does this so players don't get bored of winning or discouraged from losing (prolonging player engagement). But now when I win, I wonder, was it me? my team? Or was the victory inevitable based on EA's matchmaking? In a way, this questionable matchmaking practice does create a balance at times, but it just feels bad.
  • bfloo
    16112 posts Member
    kjmotz wrote: »

progression and grinding is the worst thing that gaming introduced.

MP gaming used to be balanced.

h846398gb27k.png

• Blazur
    4468 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    On Jan 7 this year, Yong Yea made a video about EA's matchmaking that I found interesting. I learned that EA can basically predict the outcome of a game based on user stats effectively controlling how often a player wins and loses. EA does this so players don't get bored of winning or discouraged from losing (prolonging player engagement). But now when I win, I wonder, was it me? my team? Or was the victory inevitable based on EA's matchmaking? In a way, this questionable matchmaking practice does create a balance at times, but it just feels bad.

Blizzard did something similar. Their MM algorithms in StarCraft were designed to keep players at roughly an even 50-50 split between wins and losses.
    The greatest teacher, failure is.
  • rocketpig
    624 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    bfloo wrote: »
    If people wont play to win without an added incentive gaming really is dead. No wonder every game is a steam roll, the losing side just doesn't care.

Winning > losing

Don't fool yourself into thinking this is a new phenomena. I was a diehard PC gamer from the late 90s through the mid 2000s and team play on pub servers has ALWAYS been a problem, even in hardcore games like the old CS beta. It was pretty common to see a sniper sitting behind a crate near the bomb and ride out the timer in hopes of milking another kill or two (thankfully, I later moved to a semi-private server with dedicated admins who booted those players the ***** off the server the moment it happened).

The reality is that team play has always been a problem on pub servers because some people are *****. To deal with this reality, games need to incentivize team play and if that means incentivizing winning matches, so be it.
  • I dont need an incentive to want to win.

Losing is for losers. I will not tolerate losers. Either play to win or go play minecraft.
    Ace speeder pilot.
  • I agree. I don't think it needs to be anything major, but just like an extra 100 credits or something

Correct in every sense ....and the MM is poor so sort that out first as previously said
  • Rewarding the winners could hurt the feelings of the los.....non-winners.

Yeah that would set off a chain reaction of Posts about “Steam Rolling win Farmers”

When I win, I sit back at look at my game room

X4PbyS4.jpg?

:wink:

Oh yeah! @Dash_Gaming, I've been meaning to ask you since I saw this photo from one of your thread (which I shouldn't post my comment in there now because of the last post according to the date, and I don't want to break the forums rules by necroposting :frowning:). Fancy looking game station by the way :sunglasses:!

So what exactly is the purpose of that second screen standing in the vertical position on your left side of the keyboard? What do you use for?

PSN: FriedPizza773
  • It’s so he can see all the nerf requests on the forums instantly :D
    @Dash_Gaming added you on Origin btw, I’m back in town.
    NeoX
  • Inflatable
    122 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Winning or losing is indeed meaningless in this game.. And that's mainly because these games are now fully designed around a progression system (for monetization reasons)..
  • Jhereg_Faux
    332 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    If the teams are even and playing the objectives, then winning isn't that important to me because the games are fun. Matches ending in the 1st phase in a point based game seems like the most pointless thing so far.