criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

Game Server Performance Update Feedback

Prev13456
Sledgehammer70
914 posts Member
edited January 2018
Last night our team rolled out a server update that targeted performance and matchmaking on servers. We would love to hear feedback on how your connectivity and gameplay feel on the servers post this update.

Please keep feedback to the server performance update that was released on 1/24/18.
Thanks
Sledgehammer70
Star Wars Battlefront Community Guy
Post edited by Sledgehammer70 on

Replies

• Yes! No more steamrolls!
    "In My Book, Experience outranks Everything"
    #cartoonsarecanontoo
    #theclonewarssaved
    PSN: HyperGamerMk2
    YT: GiantSlayer YT
    Check out all my concepts Here
    pqhrojr3gg47.jpg
  • It feels amazing, the games go longer, more variation of different skilled players everywhere, different characters and guns everywhere, teams seem to shuffle and way less lag stutter thing(none so far in two hours today). Not sure what you did but the game feels a lot better.
    SBMM is here to stay in all games so I'm not, gonna play till they stop support this game and Overwatch then i'm out.
    Here is proof showing how SBMM exists and how it's in ALL of our new games online. https://www.reddit.com/r/modernwarfare/comments/e6ybmj/the_design_proof_of_sbmm_and_how_its_even_worse/
  • NERFTHEOP
    689 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    InFernoZ wrote: »
    I played a game, I stomped, came 1st, with over double the 2nd most, so rightly, I get put on the losing team next game (so i've played the same faction twice in a row, which I like) I then proceed to get stomped xd .

Yeah same exact thing happened to me .

I was like "The forums are wrong they do reshuffle the teams."

Then I found out about this update.

I did have my best GA game too , 107- 1 , against a really good team they were definitely working the objectives. Not a pushover team at all.

XB1X

u7mho9hlqb5x.jpg
    Post edited by NERFTHEOP on
  • FredxXxBear
    172 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Can you guys that are running great say what you are playing on? I'm not getting the rubber banding anymore on PC, which also occurred right after patch probably just from the reboot of servers, but when I do find a game am constantly 1 shotted by anything that hits me. Did the tickrate get changed? Can we know what changes were made?
  • IronSoldier
    3847 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
    edited January 2018
    I dislike the server switching in HvV. I was playing with a team who I was chatting with and getting to know. Go to add them on origin at the end of the round. Come back and boom im in a totally different server waiting for players. Maybe if you're doing server switching take a whole team who are stomping and put them against another who have just done the same. Rather than individuals.

I went from Jakku as villains to Kamino as villians again the next round. That was the first indicator. Then I looked at the teams and I was all alone vs 3 enemies who were waiting in lobby.
  • yoshime_316
    1 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Playing with friends in a 5 man group, all is going well until the next map change...

The 4 people in my group got switched to a totally different game/server while I continued! I also noticed that the top guy from the previous game was now on the opposing team! It was either I got shuffled or he did Im not so sure.

PS4 btw.
  • Seems a little much to be shuffled to a completely different server. Yea, it sucks once a side stacks and the other is just people coming and going, doesn't make for good gameplay, but shuffle the server, not kick to an entirely different one. Foresee this causing anger can I.
  • NeoExcidious
    1935 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Also shuffling should occur on map change not round change so that you can actually play both sides. A repeat of the same faction on the same map would get irritating fast.
    NeoX
  • NERFTHEOP wrote: »
    I played a game, I stomped, came 1st, with over double the 2nd most, so rightly, I get put on the losing team next game (so i've played the same faction twice in a row, which I like) I then proceed to get stomped xd .

I did have my best GA game too , 107- 1 , against a really good team they were definitely working the objectives. Not a pushover team at all.

XB1X

u7mho9hlqb5x.jpg

Looks like you were playing Palp.

Doesn’t count if it’s him.
  • Well now not so sure if 1 shot is from server or folks with their damage modifiers. I know you all have been letting people run these cosmetic mods on PC, but can you really tell me the game can differentiate one from the other?
  • is this the technique of Dynamic Difficulty Adjustment ( DDA ) or is the Engagement Optimized Matchmaking
    ( EOMM )for matchmaking ?????
  • Played about 5 games of GA, the notable stutter seems to be much better :) Still, got to keep an eye out. Noticed the matchmaking had a couple people switch over from the other team but it was very small. Hard to say at this point.
  • Old_fella_1963
    4697 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    So far it is doing the same as before in ( SWBF2015). Played Strike as solo player on PS4 in UK for several matches after this patch . The game thinks I'm an 'okay' player when I finish top by quite a margin ( and we do win as I always PTO ) , I then get moved to another lobby ( also okay ) but invariably it's on a server which lags a lot for me . In a game like Strike where it's a lot of CQC often 1 v more than 1 the lag sucks the life out of the game. It could also be that when I'm doing extremely well that the lag compensator is working in my favour ? To be honest arguments about purple cards etc is kind of mute when the real decider is the Netcode too often IMO :-(
  • So does this mean that if me and my friends want to play a full match of strike together on both teams that its gonna switch us out or is it that once we are in the lobby we will stay in the lobby but just get switched around on the teams?

XB1X

u7mho9hlqb5x.jpg

That’s actually 67-1 /buzzkillington
  • Holden wrote: »
    NERFTHEOP wrote: »

XB1X

u7mho9hlqb5x.jpg

Looks like you were playing Palp.

Doesn’t count if it’s him.

I mean I joined a game at the second phase. With a guy who had over 100 kills with Bossk, could be Bossk he used maybe?
  • Haven’t tested it yet, but I’m hopeful that this will fix server problems
    #cartoonsarecanontoo
    #theclonewarssaved
    pqhrojr3gg47.jpg

XB1X

u7mho9hlqb5x.jpg

That’s actually 67-1 /buzzkillington

I think eliminations are just as good as kills, since both help rid your team of a pesky opponent
    #cartoonsarecanontoo
    #theclonewarssaved
    pqhrojr3gg47.jpg
  • Old_fella_1963
    4697 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Angelganon wrote: »
    So does this mean that if me and my friends want to play a full match of strike together on both teams that its gonna switch us out or is it that once we are in the lobby we will stay in the lobby but just get switched around on the teams?

I don' t know sorry. In the past battlefront has never split a party team up within a lobby except in swbf2015 1 person and 1 only may get put on the other team . Of course a party can be made up of 1 good and several 'sucky' players ...you ll have to see how things get switched up between maps/maps that play in both directions I'd guess the whole party gets moved to another Lobby
  • Liking the new matchmaking/shuffle..... it does mean you end up being on attack/defense multiple times in a row but there seem to be far less steamrolling games going on.
  • played 10 matches of blast to test out matchmaking, still was a joke. was mvp every game and nearly double the eliminations from the 2nd highest person.
  • Twitchy
    166 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Seems to disconnect me after the match on ps4. More then usual. Then i get stuck on the black loading screen. I have not noticed any rubber banding however.
    Edit: rubber banding still there and matches are not as full.
    Post edited by Twitchy on
  • Does this apply to HvV? Because I play with my friends and would not want to be split up everytime we do good.
  • Abuuru wrote: »
    played 10 matches of blast to test out matchmaking, still was a joke. was mvp every game and nearly double the eliminations from the 2nd highest person.

Just means you are way better than the average player. Replying with a sample of N=1 each match is not a good statistic to go I . Look to see if other players get moved around.
  • The_Rookie
    3870 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Waterz wrote: »
    Does this apply to HvV? Because I play with my friends and would not want to be split up everytime we do good.

You won't be split up. You'll be moved together. At least that's what I think happens.

That's assuming you're in a group, of course.
    21 years in the making... the wait is over. Buy RESIDENT EVIL 2 now!
    headerjpgt1547513853
  • Waterz wrote: »
    Does this apply to HvV? Because I play with my friends and would not want to be split up everytime we do good.

Second this
  • Have not noticed any positive change at all. Still way too frustrating to have fun with...
  • LostSoul1904
    4 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Here is my two cents as well as my results.

Results:
    I have played for around 7 hours today. While playing in a group, my Group frequently ended up in empty servers that refused to fill. While playing solo, I pretty much encountered the same experience as pre-patch. I mostly ended up on losing teams that were getting steamrolled. When I finally got on a good team, it didn’t last long. After the map rotation I was back on another subpar team overexerting myself to try and help get a win. Also, due to the server switching, we (my group and myself when solo) kept playing the same maps over and over (Kashyyyk, Tattoine, Yavin 4, Star Killer Base). We were lucky to see Crait once and never saw Deathstar 2 or the other maps. Also, during map rotations/server jumps, we were loaded into several ongoing games rather than starting on a fresh map. This lead to a lot more server quits because it is not fun loading into on going games.

Opinion on new patch:
    Having players server switch is overkill and unnecessary. It would be much simpler to create an algorithm that simply shuffles the teams on new maps. Keep the base l players on the same teams and simply shuffle the good and bad players so that teams can be more balanced. This should solve the balancing issue and not mess up the maps experienced due to the constant server switches. I also want to mention that during server switches. I also feel that this could resolve the issue with loading into ongoing games since the server remains the same. While the intentions were good, the patch did not really solve the team balancing problems entirely, it only offered some variation to it that has nice results and caused players to load into dead servers or ongoing games. Just like the old college rule, keep the fix simple since simple is all that is needed to solve the team balancing issues.

One compliment I can give is that I have had zero rubber banding or lag issues since the latest patch. That I do greatly appreciate.
    Last night our team rolled out a server update that targeted performance and matchmaking on servers. We would love to hear feedback on how your connectivity and gameplay feel on the servers post this update.

Please keep feedback to the server performance update that was released on 1/24/18.

• I want to get kept in a proper map rotation, is that possible? Im sick of repeating the same couple maps.
  • After every map I get put in an empty lobby. It’s a surprise to see waiting for less than 15 players to join each new GA map.
  • Blast on PS4 still very unbalanced. I would say it needs some more logic inputs or balancing.
  • Can we get some clarification as to what the server update changed/fixed?
  • NeoExcidious
    1935 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Hm I feel like the scramble teams tweak is similar to the SCS nerf. Although a change was necessary, you guys went overboard again.
    NeoX
  • Love it . Any change is welcome. I'm not afraid of godly enemies but dumb teammates . And I prefer to play on darkside cuz light side has no fun GA heroes.
  • kurzeZuendschnur
    32 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Sry, Hoth is still extreme laggy. I get horrible rubberbanding, the round before on theed was fine, but Hoth is unplayable.

• I just played for a couple hours, and the game is just worst, apparently I am a variable in the algorithm, I keep getting switch to another server or to the losing team, no fun at all, this is ruining my experience in this game, so after the patch I was playing 1 hour a day, before the patch 2-6 hours, and now after this server update my play time is gonna go to zero.

Can't wait for the new Dragon Ball Z Fighters game is coming on Friday, a new game to have fun, since this one is becoming a boring experiment for EA
  • Playing with friends in a 5 man group, all is going well until the next map change...

The 4 people in my group got switched to a totally different game/server while I continued! I also noticed that the top guy from the previous game was now on the opposing team! It was either I got shuffled or he did Im not so sure.

PS4 btw.

I had a team of 5 and all of us were put into different maps lol
  • Tried finding a game with 5 of us, empty lobby after empty lobby we tried this for 30 mins, starting new party's, changing who searched, no luck so we played PUBG instead
  • Trevsy16 wrote: »
    Tried finding a game with 5 of us, empty lobby after empty lobby we tried this for 30 mins, starting new party's, changing who searched, no luck so we played PUBG instead

that's exactly what I did after 2 hours of playing this game
  • On pc I keep getting put in empty lobbies.

Yup.
  • YODA100
    1067 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Change it back. Or at least have the players actually starting from the beginning and not just being thrown in the last 2 minutes of the game. It happens a lot to me.
  • smokesnugs
    220 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Man... it seems like they just think up random ideas, put it limited consideration if Any and then not test it for flaws at all instill they spring it on is and.let us figure it out for them.. wth!?
  • I will let you know after I play tonight.
  • YODA100
    1067 posts Member
    smokesnugs wrote: »
    Man... it seems like they just think up random ideas, put it limited consideration if Any and then not test it for flaws at all instill they spring it on is and.let us figure it out for them.. wth!?

Was thinking the same...
  • Worked for me today. Lag was gone. Played solo and then in a small party. We saw shuffling after every map. Games had better balance. Tried Strike and GA. Got placed in one lobby that didn’t add more players, but I’m guessing that’s because cross region matchmaking is now disabled (which is what caused the lag).