criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

Starfighter Assault Thread

Replies

• I think one reason players want that "Revenge" marker removed is so that they can rack up bigger kill streaks with Hero ships and not have to worry about being a bigger target.

Which is exactly why it should remain in the game.

Personally, the only time I care about the "Revenge" marker is when I'm killed by a Hero ship and know that that ship is going to be a problem with winning the game, like when Boba Fett is dropping a Seismic Charge around Objectives.
    Other than that, I'm playing the Objective and not worrying about getting revenge.
    Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
  • Billkwando
    2018 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Rook008 wrote: »
    Personally, the only time I care about the "Revenge" marker is when I'm killed by a Hero ship and know that that ship is going to be a problem with winning the game, like when Boba Fett is dropping a Seismic Charge around Objectives.
    Other than that, I'm playing the Objective and not worrying about getting revenge.

Slave 1 is as big as a house, and can be seen from across the map (like the Falcon), but I get what you're saying. LOL

I've only been playing this game for a month, and I remember it took a while to even figure out how to play the objective(s). While I was figuring it out, I had dogfighting.

I'm not saying that I always chase the Revenge marker to the exclusion of all else, I'm just saying that it's important to have the option. If I happen to see the person who killed me on my way back to the objective, then yeah, I might engage them, but not always. However, when the same person kills me 2 or 3 times, it's definitely on.

I think it's important that players be given the chance to challenge the "ace" who took them down, especially since it shows you what cards they have when you die. I have 3 epics on my fighter, and as everyone can relate to, I've been shot down many times by players with zero cards. I'm sure those players were stoked, if I had taken them down previously, as they should be.

It's easy for players with no cards to believe that they don't have a chance because they are at a disadvantage (started late, didn't understand card system, etc) so giving the ability to re-engage the player who downed them (if they choose) is an important learning opportunity, and a confidence booster if they win the fight. Even if they don't, they still learn something, and are likely to be less frustrated because at least they had a chance to try.

ZI7BNkU.gif
    ^Maximum the Hormone - Alien^
    (Sorta like an insane Japanese SOAD, but w/ 3 vocalists and slap bass)

Gamertag: Billkwando PSN: Billkwando YouTube: Billkwando
    Find me in HvV, pushing people off of stuff and watching them fall, like a cat.
  • I would like-
    .More top speed
    .More base health for the big hero ships
    .More maps
    .Different game modes (not just variations of the 3 faze games)
    .Offline content (how about the Kessel run? A race through space avoiding objects etc)
  • Rook008 wrote: »
    I think one reason players want that "Revenge" marker removed is so that they can rack up bigger kill streaks with Hero ships and not have to worry about being a bigger target.

Not like bogies can get my Black One anyway. ;)
    “Until we reach the last edge, the last opening, the last star, and can go no higher.”
    Rest in peace, Carrie Fisher.
  • hsf_
    1913 posts Member
    I think one reason players want that "Revenge" marker removed is so that they can rack up bigger kill streaks with Hero ships and not have to worry about being a bigger target.

No, I just want it to be more difficult. Nearly every game I'm hitting 45-60 eliminations and around 14k score. Very rarely am I out of the top 5 in SA and it's becoming stale. The Orange and Red arrows just make it far too easy for me, they're not even needed in all honesty. Because you can still see the enemy at distance(they have a white box and a white dot on them), so I don't see the issue of "needing" the markers.

I would not be opposed to having a temporary marker, that appears when you get shot then disappears after 5 seconds or something. Same too with giving things like Inferno Squad, Black Leader, Blue Leader and so on, the ability to put up temporary markers for players near by(similar to Rey's wallhack in GA). The fact that they are there 100% of the time is just making it too easy. There needs to be a degree of difficulty, otherwise it goes stale, which is it starting to become.

Obviously you need to cater to the casual gamer, otherwise the game will become more exclusive, but SA is literally baby sitting the new players, which is not a good thing.
  • I generally have to fight my way back to an Objective after a death, and I usually engage any opponents along the way. If I happen to see a Revenge marker on the way, I'll try to take them out for the bonus BP. I die a lot around Objectives, the tunnel vision sets in and I start taking damage and don't even try to evade. It's something I need to work on. :)

One thing I like about Starfighter Assault is that while the amount of upgraded ships is limited, they're balanced well enough that they don't last too long, and are available to pretty much everyone.

Also, the Kessel Run sounds like fun.
  • hsf_ wrote: »
    Nearly every game I'm hitting 45-60 eliminations and around 14k score.
    Congratulations?

I like the markers, they give me more information (and some extra BP) on the battlefield, whether I decide to use it or not.
    If anything, they could add an option for players to turn them off so the game isn't "too easy" for the pro players.

• hsf_
    1913 posts Member
    hsf_ wrote: »
    Nearly every game I'm hitting 45-60 eliminations and around 14k score.
    Congratulations?

I like the markers, they give me more information (and some extra BP) on the battlefield, whether I decide to use it or not.
    If anything, they could add an option for players to turn them off so the game isn't "too easy" for the pro players.

I think you misunderstood the reason I put that in there. It's not to gloat about how good I am, there are many better players than me in SA I'm just saying it's too easy to find someone and kill them.
    Judging by the amount of people who have also suggested or demanded it be removed, I'd say it's a fairly popular concept. I don't think it would cause a population drop in all honesty, I think it would take a couple of games to get used to and then the large majority would be fine.
  • Okay, so why did you put that in there? Now I'm curious.
    Also, why are you looking for a specific player to kill?

A lot of people wanted the Super-Charged Sentry nerfed, look how that turned out. I'd prefer they not make changes to a system that works, especially if you don't have to use it.

Also, killing Hero ships is fun.
  • hsf_
    1913 posts Member
    Okay, so why did you put that in there? Now I'm curious.

A lot of people wanted the Super-Charged Sentry nerfed, look how that turned out. I'd prefer they not make changes to a system that works, especially if you don't have to use it.

It's to highlight a point that kills are too easy to go and get, once you've got used to how the game feels. Look at any other team vs team game, do they consistently have indicators showing you where they are? No... Do they have buffs that allow for this to happen in a small time period? A lot of them do... I would not be against this idea in SA if it was a hero ability.
    I perhaps worded the second bit wrong and should have put "anyone" instead of "someone". I don't intentionally seek out a single player, unless they are turning the game around by themselves.

Yes, a lot of people did want the SCS nerfed and rightly so! The problem is, they completely nerfed the life out of it, instead of tweaking it slightly. But that isn't even the same thing... We're talking about removing a visual marker, that indicates where an enemy is at all times, not reducing how long a weapon can fire for.

Let's be honest here, if they keep the markers in SA, then they should add them to GA too. I mean I'd love to have a little orange box around a player that killed me previously, or maybe a a load of markers around my screen to indicate where the enemies are.
  • hsf_
    1913 posts Member
    Apparently I deleted my post by accident, so I'll rewrite it xD
    Okay, so why did you put that in there? Now I'm curious.

I put the numbers in there to show that kills are far too easy to get. It's too easy to go and seek out any old enemy because the game it telling you where they are. In any other game that's called cheating, no? I mean you don't see other team vs team games doing this...
    I worded the second part wrong, I should have put "anyone" instead of "someone". I don't intentionally seek one player out, unless I can see them turning the game around by themselves.

Yes, rightly so... The SCS was horrifically overpowered and needed to be nerfed, but they over did it and are fixing it in the next patch. But regardless, that has nothing to do with what we're talking about. We are comparing that to a visual marker that indicates where the enemy is. It's nothing at all like the SCS nerf.

Let's be honest here, if we have the markers in SA, then I want a little orange box and indicator to show up in GA when someone kills me. I want to be able to have little red markers around my screen telling me where the enemy is, because I find it harder to see people in GA than I do in SA.

• Soul_Phoenix_42
    483 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Does anyone else feel Tuned Lasers are a little too good?

It subtly messes with the flow of the mode by having a big effect on the TTK and causes a noticeable imbalance when you're facing an enemy team of several players with fully upgraded laser damage. It gives too much of a distinct advantage for my liking compared to any of the other star cards, considering lasers are the primary way of getting kills and how combat actually works. When you start shooting at someone from behind they should have some chance to evade - upgraded tuned lasers usually mean they are dead by the time they actually realise they're being shot at.

I found the flow of SA matches felt a little better at launch before people had upgraded lasers. It's also getting rougher on hero ships these days because virtually everyone is running with tuned laser at blue/purple.

Would love to see the damage boost toned down, just a little bit. 8% at purple instead of 10% maybe (then 6% at blue instead of 7%).

• Does anyone else feel Tuned Lasers are a little too good?

I'm not sure if it's too good, but I'l admit that I run Tuned Lasers on all of my ships. Also Advanced Capacitors and Fire Control Cycler when available (Interceptor). There have been plenty of times when I start firing on a target, miss a few shots, and then get the kill just before my weapon overheats. That's probably the Tuned Lasers' extra damage working.

On Fighters I also run Reinforced Hull, which I think saves me a lot. Under most circumstances if I start taking damage I still have time to break off and try to evade.
    I have them all at Blue level and they still seem to work pretty well. I can't imagine how well they work at Purple level.

The only problem I have with changes like this are that Dice seem to go a bit overboard with balance changes. I don't know if Criterion would do much better.

I agree though that players should have some chance of evading/responding.

About Hero ships going down too quickly, I think that's a good thing. It gives more people a chance to use them.

I hate when that happens. You have your thoughts all lined up and written down and then poof...
    One thing I like about these forums is the "Save Draft" button.
    I don't intentionally seek one player out, unless I can see them turning the game around by themselves.

That's why the "Revenge" Marker is so helpful. It's not necessary for the Falcons and bigger ships, but the smaller Hero ships can turn a win into a loss in a close match. And from where I usually spawn, finding a particular ship across the map with debris, other players and other ships in the way would be too tedious.
    Plus, the "Revenge" marker, for me anyway, tends to keep Hero ship turnaround relatively high, which I like. Players should not, in my opinion, be able to monopolize stronger ships just because they can get lost in the clutter of the map.

If I remember correctly, Heroes in GA are always on the mini-map? That seems like a good way to try and balance what is obviously a much stronger character with Troopers who are at a one-on-one disadvantage. For Trooper on Trooper

• hsf_
    1913 posts Member

I hate when that happens. You have your thoughts all lined up and written down and then poof...
    One thing I like about these forums is the "Save Draft" button.
    I don't intentionally seek one player out, unless I can see them turning the game around by themselves.

That's why the "Revenge" Marker is so helpful. It's not necessary for the Falcons and bigger ships, but the smaller Hero ships can turn a win into a loss in a close match. And from where I usually spawn, finding a particular ship across the map with debris, other players and other ships in the way would be too tedious.
    Plus, the "Revenge" marker, for me anyway, tends to keep Hero ship turnaround relatively high, which I like. Players should not, in my opinion, be able to monopolize stronger ships just because they can get lost in the clutter of the map.

If I remember correctly, Heroes in GA are always on the mini-map? That seems like a good way to try and balance what is obviously a much stronger character with Troopers who are at a one-on-one disadvantage. For Trooper on Trooper

Absolutely not. It just means everyone either diverts or refuses to go in to the objective. I see this more often than not in GA, it's so annoying seeing this, that I don't bother playing GA very often now, unless it's because of a timed challenge, or because I feel like running around as a trooper and getting killed repeatedly.
  • This is all OT, but:
    I said it seemed like a good way to try and balance... not that it gets the job done. Troopers are not really equipped to go one-on-one with a Hero. And Heroes being able to lie in wait and surprise other players is worse than what happens now. So they stay on the mini-map. Players have a chance to get some teamwork to take them down.

Refusing to play the Objective is a recipe for losing.
  • Billkwando wrote: »
    Remove avenge/revenge target

Can anybody give a logical reason for why people keep asking for this?

If your goal is to see a lot more players quitting in frustration, never to return, then carry on.

Recently, I ended up shooting the same guy down like 5 times in the course of half a match. I felt so bad I ended up sending him a message, the very next time I died, saying "Sorry man, I wasn't intentionally chasing you around".

He never did end up "returning the favor", and was gone the next round/match. However, because of the revenge marker, at least he had a chance to.

It's way too hard to see player names from across the map (or any distance) to expect players, especially newer ones, to be able to track down who shot them.

The Avenge marker, sure whatever. The Revenge marker though, no way.

Still, if you can present a valid argument about how removing the Revenge marker will improve everyone's player experience (not just yours) I would love to hear it.

Easy, with the revenge target it's very difficult to make a good killstreak. If you kill 10 different players, they all come to you for revenge and it become impossible to play for you. You're practically doomed to die.
  • DaxStorm
    570 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    I often wonder if everyone you kill sees you in orange or just the last person you killed.
  • quenaelin
    1102 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    You are trying to do whole different game. This is Star Wars game and not a simulator. Don't remove circles and arrows, otherwise you need to add TrackIR support and all simulator tweaks, which is too complicated for this kind of arcade style game. Only thing what I have noticed is that cockpit view and seat position should be fully adjustable to be more usefull. And definetly no revenge markers, only make name tags more visible, it is hard to see who you are chasing.

That's your opinion friend, this is a thread for those of us that do play and do enjoy it. Each to his own and all that jazz.

This is the Seinfeld of replies, a comment about nothing.
    Can't beat 'em? Join 'em. Still can't beat 'em? Login to the forums and cry about it.
  • My issue with the revenge marker is, and admittedly it’s my own initiative, is that I end up prioritizing them when available for the extra points and that often turns into tic-for-tac play. Personally I’d prefer an option where I can even turn off gamer tags so I can be less distracted by who is doing what. Once you’re killed three times by the same person it’s hard not to see that revenge marker and be compelled to go for the challenge/revenge/bonus points. But it’s a vicious cycle, especially if one or both players are very good.

A nice compromise would be if either 1) the revenge marker only appeared once they’d been in game 30 seconds to prevent spawn camping or 2) only having the revenge marker light up once you engaged with them, say by landing a hit, locking on, or just keeping them in your sights a for a brief window. Then it restores the chaos of battle but still alerts you when you come across your nemesis. But you should have to come across them honestly, not get a golden ticket to their location. Or maybe 3) it only shows up after the same player has killed you 5 times, like a Nemesis marker instead of straight revenge.

Anyway that’s just me. Admittedly a lot of my thoughts on this come from gaming getting rather personal these days it seems. I have to imagine playing and not knowing who killed you would make for more enjoyable games because it’s so easy to get incensed when the same person kills you over and over or think it personal. I’m a regular top 5 as I main SA and have played flight sims my whole life. And with maxes purple cards. But even I feel bad when I notice that’s the fifth time I’ve killed somebody. Because I’m sure it feels like targeting. Yet I imagine if you didn’t know who killed you it would all even out since you can’t distinguish ships from any other (in that class).
  • hsf_
    1913 posts Member
    edited February 2018

That's your opinion friend, this is a thread for those of us that do play and do enjoy it. Each to his own and all that jazz.

I don't see the issue. Your statement was about how you'd rather pull your toenails out than play SA, you don't give any information about why you don't like it, which is fair enough... So how can I possibly give you advice on how to enjoy it, when you don't give any indication about what you don't like?
  • hsf_
    1913 posts Member
    DaxStorm wrote: »
    I often wonder if everyone you kill sees you in orange or just the last person you killed.

If you killed 4 people really quickly, then they all respawned in a group then yes, you'd be orange for all of them. But if someone else shoots them in the mean time, they will get a different target. The revenge indicator is the last person who attacked/killed you.
  • Eljeffez wrote: »
    I'm not keen on removing the missile lock warnings, but the missiles need to go A LOT faster and be way more accurate. The only time they hit now is if the other person completely ignores them.

They should make maps with fleet vs fleet, I dont know why they all have to be attack/defense. Should have both sides have a capital ship they have to protect, and an enemy one they have to destroy. Support ships could be in between doing damage to the objectives and make them worth taking out or protecting.

If there is a buff to missiles in this game it should also come with an increased cool down. The missiles are poo right now I agree but if they become more viable I can see myself spending most of a match just going into missile evasive maneuvers.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • ConjugalVisit
    291 posts Member
    edited February 2018

I don't see the issue. Your statement was about how you'd rather pull your toenails out than play SA, you don't give any information about why you don't like it, which is fair enough... So how can I possibly give you advice on how to enjoy it, when you don't give any indication about what you don't like?

Admittedly, my quote was almost as worthless as yours but I did give you an indication by calling it "circular nonsense."

I didn't think I'd have to spell it out but for you, anything. The whole event seems like one rinse and repeat loop after loop of circular flying and trying to avoid lock-ons with some shoot the objective in between. Maybe I'm playing it incorrectly, friend?
    Can't beat 'em? Join 'em. Still can't beat 'em? Login to the forums and cry about it.
  • I didn't think I'd have to spell it out but for you, anything. The whole event seems like one rinse and repeat loop after loop of circular flying and trying to avoid lock-ons with some shoot the objective in between. Maybe I'm playing it incorrectly, friend?

I tried to be helpful, just in case you missed my post. :)
    ZI7BNkU.gif

• The only reason I can think of to remove the revenge or avenge tags would simply be to stop teammates from focusing on them and target the objective.
    I didn't think I'd have to spell it out but for you, anything. The whole event seems like one rinse and repeat loop after loop of circular flying and trying to avoid lock-ons with some shoot the objective in between. Maybe I'm playing it incorrectly, friend?

I tried to be helpful, just in case you missed my post. :)

Oh, I sure did. Thank you good sir, will go back and read. (I had forgotten about my original comment but then this thread was on the top today). Have a like!
    ...or loop a bunch of times and then fly off in a straight line. A lot of the time, by the time they figure out you're not looping anymore, you have time to turn and fire.
    This is so simple I'm surprised is works as well as it does. Loop once or twice, check out any nearby obstacles or concentrations of friendlies, and then break the loop and speed off behind something or towards friendlies. As long as you're not in completely open space and alone, it usually works.

• Rook008 wrote: »
    Billkwando wrote: »
    ...or loop a bunch of times and then fly off in a straight line. A lot of the time, by the time they figure out you're not looping anymore, you have time to turn and fire.
    This is so simple I'm surprised is works as well as it does. Loop once or twice, check out any nearby obstacles or concentrations of friendlies, and then break the loop and speed off behind something or towards friendlies. As long as you're not in completely open space and alone, it usually works.

Right! :D

I should mention that torpedoes aren't smart at all, as far as tracking. Say you're flying along, someone launches a torpedo, and you duck behind a rock....the torpedo WILL hit the rock. It's not gonna steer even a little.

Oh and in case you don't know how to evade them in open space, when the circle with the triangle pops up, steer into the triangle. If you're in a TIE or something with an afterburner, that should break the lock (usually?).
    ZI7BNkU.gif

• Seastorm wrote: »
    You could always use the N-1 Starfighter from Naboo as the rebel enforcer class
    vly1wzx8blta.jpeg
    B-wings all the way, man!

Yupp. B-Wings FTW.
  • Maul is garbo

Hey! I'll have you executed for blasphemy if you spread lies like that. The Scimitar is my second favourite after the TIE Silencer mainly because of that insane rate of fire. Get a heat buildup reduction star card and you have a ship that can cloak, lock-on for extra damage and has a main weapon that can destroy ships faster than the Death Star destroyed Alderaan.

There's only two things that kill me when I'm flying the Scimitar or the Silencer:

1) Being disabled and left vulnerable by Yoda's Ion Pulse or a Y-Wing's Ion Cannon

2) My fancy flying backfiring on me and directing me right into debris or asteroids

Neither of which happen too often...

Maul is easy to kill once you learn how to lead the shot manually (practice on an enemy tie/droid bomber with the defense ability active). Cloak doesn't do anything. Unless maul has a copilot backing him up I can easily kill him in cloak.
  • duvelsuper wrote: »

Maul is easy to kill once you learn how to lead the shot manually (practice on an enemy tie/droid bomber with the defense ability active). Cloak doesn't do anything. Unless maul has a copilot backing him up I can easily kill him in cloak.

In the blackness of space, sure, but how do you do over blue sky and crashing waves? ;)

My first Maul streak was at Kamino (yay! I finally memorized one of the map names!), so I got away with murder. Now I'm a closet Maulrat. :p
    ZI7BNkU.gif

duvelsuper wrote: »

In the blackness of space, sure, but how do you do over blue sky and crashing waves? ;)

My first Maul streak was at Kamino (yay! I finally memorized one of the map names!), so I got away with murder. Now I'm a closet Maulrat. :p

Once I have him in my sights I never lose him unless someone engages me and I have to break off. I never shoot right away against maul. I wait until I am behind him so any turn he does I can follow. I never shoot when im to his sides or front. Even when he does cloak I dont shoot. He eventually starts to straighten out and thats when I unload. Works everytime. Just when you think you waiting enough, wait a bit more and then they drop their guard.

Once I have him in my sights I never lose him unless someone engages me and I have to break off. I never shoot right away against maul. I wait until I am behind him so any turn he does I can follow. I never shoot when im to his sides or front. Even when he does cloak I dont shoot. He eventually starts to straighten out and thats when I unload. Works everytime. Just when you think you waiting enough, wait a bit more and then they drop their guard.

I wonder if Yoda's ion thinger would knock him out of cloak? It's omnidirectional, like the seismic charge, right?
    ZI7BNkU.gif

I wonder if Yoda's ion thinger would knock him out of cloak? It's omnidirectional, like the seismic charge, right?

It doesn't knock him out of cloak once he's already in it, though the electrical circuits / damage sparks emitted from Maul's ship makes him a lot easier to see.
    Man! Could this game get any more broken?
  • Clone201 wrote: »

It doesn't knock him out of cloak once he's already in it, though the electrical circuits / damage sparks emitted from Maul's ship makes him a lot easier to see.

Oh ok! So it will still hit him? I'd imagine that would help LOL
    ZI7BNkU.gif

• hsf_
    1913 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    I'd just like to point out, this thread wasn't made for us to argue over who's ideas are best, it's to get a gauge of what the majority of the community want to see changed/added/reworked in Starfighter Assault.
    Clone201 wrote: »

Oh ok! So it will still hit him? I'd imagine that would help LOL

Yeah, it will still hit him, and the damage sparks on his ship will appear that make Maul a lot easier to see.
    Man! Could this game get any more broken?
    I'd just like to point out, this thread wasn't made for us to argue over who's ideas are best, it's to get a gauge of what the majority of the community want to see changed/added/reworked in Starfighter Assault.

Make the Falcons a bit faster so it doesn't feel like you're flying a brick. I can handle the brickyness of the bomber because it's a front line fighter but there should be a little more of an advantage when you're flying a giant target.
  • One thing that needs to be changed ASAP is a way to help teamplay for friends on comms. How many times I've found myself flying the Falcon and needing some help with enemy tails, only to be completely unable to communicate my whereabouts!

A green arrow for party members should be present on the borders, at all times. A name as well, and distance might be nice, too. And they shouldn't just dissappear if they're far off.

A similar change needs to happen for GA as well.
  • Rook008
    851 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Palpa wrote: »
    But SA is amazing, don't see a reason to change anything.

I agree, except they can add more content and put a Starfighter Assault mode in Arcade so people can practice.
    Also, maybe some way for parties to find their party members. That would probably help them coordinate a lot.

• - Wider speed range (higher top speed and lower slow speed)
    - Remove revenge, I just don’t think it’s necessary to feel obligated after the person that killed you... just leads to someone being frustrated at the end of a game.
    - Naboo starfighter on ryloth because it’s pertyy
    - hit detection on obstacles is a little off. There are times I’m pulling it tight and I can see the space between my craft and an obstacle but I still explode.
    - Add a fighter squadron mode and give us some land maps please.

If any of these happened I would just about lose it. Starfighter Assault has a great foundation and I think it the strength of Battlefront 2. Let’s make it better!
    AaronM1978 wrote: »
    I agree with decluttering the HUD. The lead indicator needs to remain, however. What I would like to see is range to the target reducing the effectiveness of the directed energy weapons. Although the weapons do have a range limit, it seems the damage they inflict is constant throughout their range. I have two suggestions.

1: The hitting power of the main armament decreases as the distance the energy bolt travels increases... maybe on a non-linear scale. (The power loss is more significant the last third of the weapon range)

2. Increase the amount of dispersion for the weapons as the range increases. I think this would make conventional evasive maneuvering (jinking...etc) more effective.

Drop off damage already exists. Lasers dont work like guns. There is no recoil to lasers which means no dispersion. There is only travel distance. Lasers will always go in a straight line which is why the white circle forces you to lead the shot in front of the fighter instead of directly on the fighter. The farther you are the easier it is to dodge.

They aren't lasers though, a laser is made of light, therefore by its very nature travels at the speed of light, which would mean you absolutely wouldn't lead a target with a laser. StarWars blasters fire something much closer to plasma than lasers.

This is how blaster fire is explained on Wikipedia:
    "The inner workings of blasters essentially create particle beams to inflict damage. When the trigger is pulled, the blaster chambers a small volume of the fictional Tibanna gas into a gas conversion enabler (or XCiter). The XCiter excites the gas particles with energy from a power-pack, which attaches to the weapon much like a magazine does to real world weapons. Afterwards, the excited gas is compressed into a beam in the actuating blaster module before being focused by first a prismatic crystal and then the galven circuitry in the barrel of the weapon."
    AaronM1978 wrote: »
    I agree with decluttering the HUD. The lead indicator needs to remain, however. What I would like to see is range to the target reducing the effectiveness of the directed energy weapons. Although the weapons do have a range limit, it seems the damage they inflict is constant throughout their range. I have two suggestions.

1: The hitting power of the main armament decreases as the distance the energy bolt travels increases... maybe on a non-linear scale. (The power loss is more significant the last third of the weapon range)

2. Increase the amount of dispersion for the weapons as the range increases. I think this would make conventional evasive maneuvering (jinking...etc) more effective.

Drop off damage already exists. Lasers dont work like guns. There is no recoil to lasers which means no dispersion. There is only travel distance. Lasers will always go in a straight line which is why the white circle forces you to lead the shot in front of the fighter instead of directly on the fighter. The farther you are the easier it is to dodge.

They aren't lasers though, a laser is made of light, therefore by its very nature travels at the speed of light, which would mean you absolutely wouldn't lead a target with a laser. StarWars blasters fire something much closer to plasma than lasers.

This is how blaster fire is explained on Wikipedia:
    "The inner workings of blasters essentially create particle beams to inflict damage. When the trigger is pulled, the blaster chambers a small volume of the fictional Tibanna gas into a gas conversion enabler (or XCiter). The XCiter excites the gas particles with energy from a power-pack, which attaches to the weapon much like a magazine does to real world weapons. Afterwards, the excited gas is compressed into a beam in the actuating blaster module before being focused by first a prismatic crystal and then the galven circuitry in the barrel of the weapon."

My thoughts anyone tries to argue that the guns shouldn’t have recoil..
  • Ok, I believe I've finally realised what the two sides are in this thread:

You have on one side players who are fine with the way SFA plays because they want a more casual game.

The other side wants to see a more realistic game with less "handholding", more akin to a simulator but not quite.

While I respect that people do see removing the assists to be an attempt to further distance the 'casuals' from the 'pros', I don't think that's intentional. I personally would like a more realistic style of gameplay simply because old games managed it (no lead indicator, aim assist etc) and people didn't complain then. Modern games keep implementing more and more assists to make gameplay easier and people are getting used to it.

I was playing the Rogue Squadron series on my GameCube when I was 6 and I was easily hitting TIEs despite their grey blending in with space. I'm no pro and I do consider myself a 'casual' because I play for fun, but if a 6 year old me with coordination issues could consistently hit targets without any assists, then why can't average players these days do the same?

It's like what Thatcher from R6 says: "The more crutches you have, the more it hurts when they're kicked out from under ya."

In an ideal world, I'd want a Star Wars simulator where there's no battlepoints rubbish, no annoying assists and to be honest no hero spam... but that's my personal preference and I doubt that will happen while EA have the rights. I know people reference the original BF2 a lot, and I know it wasn't perfect, but it was more fun and DICE are trying so hard to make this game different from the original, heck even Battlefield, but I do believe that's what many players actually want.

P.S I'm in no way intending to insult anyone, not everyone shares opinions. I just wanted to pitch my own opinion out there.

You explained that perfectly. I’ve tried to say that, but you made it make sense. Good job