criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Battle Point Event
Focused Feedback

This Can Save the Game

Obviously there’s a lot of bad PR and rumors swirling about the games state, but I have a surefire way to turn this battle in your favor. Hear me out.

Tap Star Wars Legacy. There is literally thousands of weapons, vehicles, troops, starfighters, etc DICE currently has available at their fingertips, but they keep playing it safe with Original Trilogy stuff. You are licensed by Star Wars through Disney! Bring Legacy stuff back and old fans while flock back in droves! You do realize how many people bought the Death Star DLC in 2015 just to get their hands on the Heavy Repeater and Bryar pistol right?

You do not need to scrape the barrel of the current wasteland of content current canon Star Wars has to offer! If you are licensed by Star Wars, everything within becomes canon. Do you know how many people would be crazed with excitement if Empire at War vehicles were added? Weapons from Republic Commando and Shadows of the Empire were added? Cool stormtrooper skins from Force Unleashed? I’m not saying bring back Mara Jade and Darth Revan, obviously that’s impossible for a game like this, but I know weapons, vehicles, and skins are attainable goals. If I could drive a TIE mauler through a crowd of rebels, exit in my stormtrooper commander skin, and go to town with my FA-3 Fléchette Launcher and WESTAR-M5 I’d certainly play this game a lot longer. If said skins were MTX, I’d pay it.

Feel free to discuss this
jar-jar-binks-dancing-gif-3.gif

Replies

• A roadmap would be nice and very much appreciated.

There’s obviously a huge problem with PR which is exasperated by a very needy community who can flip from friend to foe in under a minute. It amuses me that the people with the most venom to spew are also the ones who write gushing ‘all is forgiven’ posts when something is patched or content is added.

I think the Dev team refers to them as passionate, but I just think most are probably on the ADHD spectrum. But I digress....

Rock and a hard place for the Devs right now and I’m no apologist, but with Solo coming out there’s got to be a tie in and unfortunately with that comes a waver to keep quiet. Once that’s out of the way I suspect we might get our road map which will hopefully ease tensions but I suspect won’t please everyone.

• Haven’t got in to legends much and I don’t want characters I don’t know. Makes sense why they’d play it safe.

Don’t think it will save the game since most of the people it would appeal to are already hardcore in to the game.
  • Out of the vast multitude of flaws with this game, a lack of source to draw new content from isn’t one of them. I’m sure they’ll have plenty of characters/technology/locations from canon works to keep this game going through its lifespan.

Besides, completely shifting the trajectory of this game towards more obscure, unofficial source material would more likely isolate and upset the current player base than add many sales at this point. Better to fix the games many shortcomings and focus on what the community is practically begging for at this point.
  • I reckon the MTX/Progression system rework has taken up a lot of developer time.

We'd have had more content by now if they hadn't had to spend time reworking it.

So I don't think we will be getting anything like a roadmap until the new MTX has been rolled out and there is an assured revenue stream from it to fund development of future content.
  • WildSpace wrote: »
    Obviously there’s a lot of bad PR and rumors swirling about the games state, but I have a surefire way to turn this battle in your favor. Hear me out.

Tap Star Wars Legacy. There is literally thousands of weapons, vehicles, troops, starfighters, etc DICE currently has available at their fingertips, but they keep playing it safe with Original Trilogy stuff. You are licensed by Star Wars through Disney! Bring Legacy stuff back and old fans while flock back in droves! You do realize how many people bought the Death Star DLC in 2015 just to get their hands on the Heavy Repeater and Bryar pistol right?

You do not need to scrape the barrel of the current wasteland of content current canon Star Wars has to offer! If you are licensed by Star Wars, everything within becomes canon. Do you know how many people would be crazed with excitement if Empire at War vehicles were added? Weapons from Republic Commando and Shadows of the Empire were added? Cool stormtrooper skins from Force Unleashed? I’m not saying bring back Mara Jade and Darth Revan, obviously that’s impossible for a game like this, but I know weapons, vehicles, and skins are attainable goals. If I could drive a TIE mauler through a crowd of rebels, exit in my stormtrooper commander skin, and go to town with my FA-3 Fléchette Launcher and WESTAR-M5 I’d certainly play this game a lot longer. If said skins were MTX, I’d pay it.

Star wars legends are awesome. I would love to have darth revan, malak, or satele shan in the game. Those are badass characters! There's the argument of " I don't know this character/content so i don't want it" as expressed by @EvazanJr above. But this would bring a whole lot of love back to the game because there are some many people who love the old republic era.
    "Jawas are the key to Life"- ME

• They're definitely not running low on vehicles, skins, and weapons they could add

What this game needs is much better communication, actual progression, better modes, bug fixes, and Bespin

Ponds main

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png
  • They're definitely not running low on vehicles, skins, and weapons they could add

What this game needs is much better communication, actual progression, better modes, bug fixes, and Bespin

Don't forget Krennic nd Dengar.
  • ModusMoriendi
    662 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    We've already seen the backlash of introducing "obscure" characters like Tallie, people blatantly ignoring the existence of Iden's written back story, etc. So, no. I don't believe introducing Legends material would help as much as you (or I) would like. Sure, by all means use the opportunity to canonify Legends material, if possible, but don't expect the majority to appreciate it.

For one, we Legends followers are a small minority; it was always the domain of the specially interested. Second, it's been too long for most; even "recent" popular characters like Kyle Katarn came about before a lot of the player base was even born. Third, the EU might be best described as a massive pile of bovine manure, with a few gems in it; the fans were well and truly divided about, well, everything. Fourth, this isn't really the right game or medium; the only thing made canon is the tiny bit represented in the game, not the rest of the Legends material.

So, let's say we got Mara Jade as a Hero: All we'd know is that there's some Light Side character named Mara Jade, who could use a Lightsaber, and do whatever abilities given her IG. Nothing else. Would this really make many people happy? I think not.
    Post edited by ModusMoriendi on
  • We've already seen the backlash of introducing "obscure" characters like Tallie, people blatantly ignoring the existence of Iden's written back story, etc. So, no. I don't believe introducing Legends material would help as much as you (or I) would like. Sure, by all means use the opportunity to canonify Legends material, if possible, but don't expect the majority to appreciate it.

For one, we Legends followers are a small majority; it was always the domain of the specially interested. Second, it's been too long for most; even "recent" popular characters like Kyle Katarn came about before a lot of the player base was even born. Third, the EU might be best described as a massive pile of bovine manure, with a few gems in it; the answer were well and truly divided about, well, everything. Fourth, this isn't really the right game or medium; the only thing made canon is the tiny bit represented in the game, not the rest of the Legends material.

So, let's say we got Mara Jade as a Hero: All we'd know is that there's some Light Side character named Mara Jade, who could use a Lightsaber, and do whatever abilities given her IG. Nothing else. Would this really make many people happy? I think not.

im saying is just bring back the Old republic era. Mara jade is after the return of the jedi and during the new movie time line. if they introduce her into the game and make it cannon then all hel l would break loose. i just want old republic content
    "Jawas are the key to Life"- ME

Ur right there is a surplus of content in the movies shouldn’t be a rush to get in to the obscure stuff.
  • Tbh the real reason why I bought BF2 was the pictures and videos I saw from the Naboo Throne room.

Imho, people buy these games for their fond memories of great visuals and looks from the movies.

More maps like Crait, more maps of iconic movie locations.

I would prefer this any day above some Blaster whose name I have never heard of despite seeing the movies over 100 times+.
  • WildSpace wrote: »

Reupiblic commandp sounds awesome.
    "In My Book, Experience outranks Everything"
    #cartoonsarecanontoo
    #theclonewarssaved
    PSN: HyperGamerMk2
    YT: GiantSlayer YT
    Check out all my concepts Here
    pqhrojr3gg47.jpg
  • does it even need to be canon though?

if they released a vong season (theoretical, please for the love of god dont do that) what would happen? would they get sued?
    Many of the arguments we have about this game would not exist if this was a single player focused game like it should have been since day 1.
  • I very much agree about the roadmap, that is critical. Some of you may have been confused by my wording, I am only asking to receive Legends weapons, vehicles, and skins.

The main priority to be fixing right now should be bug and glitch fixes, real progression, and good communication. But taking my suggestion into consideration to get into the legacy weapons, vehicles, skins will invest people. That’s undeniable, it will draw a vast majority of people who gave up on Star Wars because they don’t like the direction it’s taken and getting to use some of their old fan favorite gear will get them playing! I know of a lot of people who don’t own the game but would buy it in a heartbeat if DICE started doing this in future seasons.
    acc751 wrote: »
    does it even need to be canon though?

if they released a vong season (theoretical, please for the love of god dont do that) what would happen? would they get sued?

They’d probably get a spanking with a metal pole from upstairs. Unless it was the approved story mode possibly. But I’m guessing the license would be revoked for going off the rails. Vehicles, weapons, and skins are doable, they are allowed to do this because a gun in a game doesn’t change what direction Episode IX is going or their TV shows. They should take advantage of being licensed right? It’d be the best place for getting good extra content to keep it interesting, for hardcore fans and casual Star Wars fans alike.

jar-jar-binks-dancing-gif-3.gif
  • Adding Empire at War vehicles would be hard to balance.

MPTLa2 would either be the unstoppable god it was in EaW or DICE would turn it into their useless artillery truck from BF4.

Lancet Aerial Artillery would just be a flying armored Palpatine and I don't think people want that.

Giving the rebels T2Bs on a map like Hoth might make it a bit unbalanced since they could just speed by racking up kills while the Empire's ATST has to deal with walking on the frustrating terrain. Would like something more interesting then ATRTs though.

Honestly they won't even go inside the barrel with new canon stuff for some reason. Look at the TLJ space battle for example. They could have done something with the bombers and the dreadnought but instead we are just dogfighting in the matrix. Also I doubt they will add other stuff like First Order execution troopers or riot troopers. In the Poe Dameron comics the first order had this hardened imperial veteran who crafted his armor out of various old imperial armors. But odds are DICE won't add him.

Even iconic movie content has taken a backseat to some things. No T-21 and E11 which is one of the most iconic weapon in star wars is simply a skin that appears if you are playing a certain Era.

If DICE won't add me being able to use a T21 while being in extra shiny ANH stormtrooper armor then it is extremely unlikely they will add the ability to sport an E11D as an EVO Trooper.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    First Max Prestige Iden Versio
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • it wouldn't save the game...
  • I would love if they added content from other starwars media like the jedi knight games & Star wars bounty hunter!
    ⦗ XBOX GT: EIusive DJ⦘~ "The Knights of Gareth are eternal..." ✔
    \⧹If you happen to have ANY ideas for any hero you desire to have in Battlefront 2, Let me know in a DM!⧸/
    How to make Every Hero Viable in Battlefront 2

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• acc751 wrote: »
    does it even need to be canon though?

I think the update has to be approved by Lucasfilm so theoretically they could decline it.

Just a guess.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Anoh wrote: »
    What can save the game is if they drop a roadmap for the year. Get transparent on communication. Satisfy the communities requests.

They should've thought better when designing the game around the shiddy MTX, now look where we're at.

This is even worse than the first game, ****!

Agreed.

Maybe you should make a BF2 version of this very iconic thread™ , @Anoh ?
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/65432/a-message-to-paul-battlefronts-producer#latest
    to65hxipr0h9.gif
  • "
    I think the Dev team refers to them as passionate, but I just think most are probably on the ADHD spectrum. But I digress...."

Little over egged but was funny ....and yet at the same time true even your own excess in writing it ;-)
  • Cad_Bane wrote: »
    What can save the game is if they drop a roadmap for the year. Get transparent on communication. Satisfy the communities requests.

They should've thought better when designing the game around the shiddy MTX, now look where we're at.

Agreed.

https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/65432/a-message-to-paul-battlefronts-producer#latest
    to65hxipr0h9.gif

I took the time to read that thread and it appears the current situation is identical to the one from the previous game. It looks like the team never managed to overcome their red tape conundrum and are instead perpetually stuck in a maze of corporate policies.
    If this is the case, creating a new version of that thread would be pointless. Assuming Dennis or Mat would reply to it, their answers would likely be the exact same.

Initially I thought:
    Why not just release hotfixes or small patches, but in larger volume? This would surely compensate for the lack of communication, as the community would be quelled by the constant change™.

Then I remembered someone mentioned the costs associated with QA/CERT and deploying a patch. It is probably more cost effective for them to go to Sony and Microsoft once a month, rather than 4 times. And since the shareholders only care about what the numbers show, EA is likely doing all they can to reduce their overhead.

Some people mentioned Fortnite is getting patches constantly. A quick google search will show you their publisher is a private company, so they don’t have to answer to people “working” from home, trading their shares.

Sounds like DICE is stuck between a rock and a hard place here. A team of talented, hard working people that care about their creation, kept on the tight, suffocating corporate leash that is preventing them from catering to their fans’ needs. Ironic, given that without the fans, those shareholders would be short a fair amount of dividends.

Apologies for the borderline off topic rant.

TLDR: Can’t really blame DICE for the bad PR and lack of comms.
    NeoX

Don't forget Krennic nd Dengar.

Lets not forget Pancakes and Greedo.
    yt jeanschweppe
  • Lets be honest if DICE/EA gave everyone a bag of gold , everyone would complain it's not two bags of gold.

Society in general needs saving not this video game.

There is a bigger problem here.

SWBF2 is a good solid game IMO.

• Anoh
    8380 posts Member
    Cad_Bane wrote: »

Agreed.

to65hxipr0h9.gif

There's no point. I've got a clear picture of the situation, and even if it is despairingly frustrating that's the way it is with Star Wars and EA/DICE.

Editor/Cinematographer - Anoh is pronounced: AhNo.