criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Game Update
Forest of Endor

Starfighter Assault Thread

Replies

• Billkwando wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to split the playerbase but a 1st person only SA game mode would tickle my fancy. I only ever use 1PP briefly because, frankly, it puts you at a massive disadvantage to everyone else with 3PP's wider viewpoint. But 1PP looks so **** good, so immersive. Maybe i'll get my fix if they finally give us a SA offline / arcade mode like was mooted.

Ah yes, so everybody is at an equal disadvantage! I like it! :D

I so badly wanted to play 1st person view. This is the first flying game I've ever chosen not to use 1st person camera in (when I've had a choice). I wish it worked better.

This is why we need custom lobbies. You could make a game with that modifier and folks could join if they wanted.

I agree and it could be great but I worry a custom lobby could split the playerbase and though its not currently hard to find a match on PS4 as the game ages we may find ourselves sat in the menus for too long.
  • I agree and it could be great but I worry a custom lobby could split the playerbase and though its not currently hard to find a match on PS4 as the game ages we may find ourselves sat in the menus for too long.

Reminds me of what happened to this other EA game which had people walking around in massive mechs...

Can't quite remember it, myself... but those days are long gone now...
    'Mors est tantum impedimentum' - Death is only an obstacle
  • grimmace2
    1245 posts Member
    ....the effects of the cards aren't noticable....

I will respectfully disagree. Increased Fire Rate and Increased Cool Down cards are incredibly noticeable. I will run those to cards on ANY ship that has them because they make a HUGE difference. Getting those extra shots in on any engagement is critical.

• I agree and it could be great but I worry a custom lobby could split the playerbase and though its not currently hard to find a match on PS4 as the game ages we may find ourselves sat in the menus for too long.

Reminds me of what happened to this other EA game which had people walking around in massive mechs...

Can't quite remember it, myself... but those days are long gone now...

Haha well said.

EA has a bad history of splitting up the player base with past games e.g. the Battlefield series. I was enough of a sucker to buy Premium for BF3 and enjoyed the heck out of that game for many years only stopping playing it until this SWBF2 was released.

Removing Premium and making all DLC free for everybody was the right move. They can earn their money with cash for crystals or selling skins (that I couldn't care less about) via micro-transactions.

But SA has such great potential for them to make it something special. More maps, some daytime battles, objectives at lower altitude incorporating strafing ground targets, FPS / hardcore only mode, more Hero ships, Enforcer ships, etc, etc. It's that good i'd have even considered buying it as a standalone. I hope they don't forget SA when it comes to new content because flying in GA just doesn't have the same allure to me.
  • Billkwando
    1976 posts Member
    grimmace2 wrote: »
    ....the effects of the cards aren't noticable....

I will respectfully disagree. Increased Fire Rate and Increased Cool Down cards are incredibly noticeable. I will run those to cards on ANY ship that has them because they make a HUGE difference. Getting those extra shots in on any engagement is critical.

Right. If you play your cards right (lol) they do make a huge difference. However, one of the things I love about this game is that folks with no cards can and do get kills. My point was that I doubt someone could regularly get 45-60 kills per match with no cards, so it would be a way to "self nerf" and challenge yourself. If you can get 45-60 kills with no cards, then you probably really are in the top 1%, and I would tip my hat to you. :)
    ZI7BNkU.gif
    ^Maximum the Hormone - Alien^
    (Sorta like an insane Japanese SOAD, but w/ 3 vocalists and slap bass)

Gamertag: Billkwando PSN: Billkwando YouTube: Billkwando
    Find me in HvV, pushing people off of stuff and watching them fall, like a cat.
  • Yeldarb
    236 posts Member
    I wish all the starfighter users that target ground troops and heroes in Ga would leave and play sa so annoying.
  • hsf_
    1905 posts Member
    Yeldarb wrote: »
    I wish all the starfighter users that target ground troops and heroes in Ga would leave and play sa so annoying.

Does it count for the people that only got starfighters on Naboo? N-1 <3
  • Yeldarb wrote: »

Why?
  • hsf_ wrote: »
    So for those of you who enjoy Starfighter Assault, do you feel it needs any changes?

I personally have a couple of gripes, but I find this game mode to be fairly well balanced, especially when comparing it to Galactic Assault. As I said, I do have a couple of gripes and I think I'll start by mentioning the "looping" that goes on. It can be endless at times and it's often whoever breaks off first, dies first. I have a suggestion to fix this somewhat, but I'll talk about that at the end.

Hero ships - I find myself getting hounded as soon as I pick a hero ship. Especially an easily recognisable one such as the Millennium Falcon or Darth Maul's Scimitar. I find my best chance for survival as a hero is to pick one that isn't easily recognisable, such as Iden's TIE fighter or Luke Skywalkers/Poe Damerons X-Wing. Again, I will go through my suggestion at the end.

There is a lack of maps - I think there are only 5 Starfighter Assault maps? I understand that there must be some variation with the objectives, it must also be difficult to keep coming up with unique objectives but Galactic Assault has a few similar objectives on different maps(Naboo/Hoth for example). Perhaps create Starfighter Assault maps for each Galactic Assault map available and add a new game mode which incorporates both modes(This was on the original Battlefront 2 so maybe copyright issues?)

More ship classes - Possible enforcer class ships which require 1000battle points instead of 2k/3k like the heroes? You know, similar to enforcer units in Galactic Assault like the Wookie/Death trooper. You could always use the N-1 Starfighter from Naboo as the rebel enforcer class for example(I've no intention of discussing whether that would be canon or not, nor do I care). Maybe even use "recovered" ships from previous era's or even a variation of the LAAT.

This next suggestion is the one I said I'd talk about at the end, it will probably divide a lot of you, but I feel would resolve a lot of gameplay issue's. I personally wouldn't be against removing as much of the HUD as possible for Starfighter Assault. Things like the revenge markers, missile lock-on against you(just use the beeping sound), and the one what will probably get enormous no votes - remove the circle that shows you where to aim. I'm doing corkscrews, backflips, 90 degree turns and people are tracking those movements like an aimbot, I am doing the same to others too, it's way too easy to aim(in my opinion of course!)

I would like to go on record and state that Starfighter Assault is probably my favourite game mode. I also feel it's the one mode that needs the least amount of work done to it, it feels more polished and refined. Would like it added to Arcade too! ^_^

More Maps Would Be Cool Like Starkiller Base, Naboo, Hoth, Lothal, Or Coruscant. Or Hero Ships Like Anakin's Jedi Starfighter, Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter, Hera And Chopper With The Ghost, Jango's Slave 1, Padme's N-1 Starfighter, Or The Kessel Run Millennium Falcon From Solo: A Star Wars Story.
  • grimmace2
    1245 posts Member
    I'm probably one of the few that thinks the number of hero ships is just fine; however, I would prefer that more than 2 or 3 were available at any given time.
  • LeftTurnus
    1099 posts Member
    IonYaleY wrote: »
    Well, i had played some Starfighter Assault and failed horribly.

Last night though, i ended up myself doing space missions belonging to the campaign. The first mission went extremely hard to beat. I repeated it about 20 times. Just because that alert called "return to mission area" suddenly appeared and compelled me to restart all the way.

But the next mission called "Free the Dauntless" was most presumably one of my most exciting moments i lived in
    a video game so far. The graphics is absolutely breathtaking, the environment, the indescribable beauty of the space and lots of stuff. I got used to the space battles so much enjoying the fights at the same time.

VHpddzU.jpg
    SlMTAFA.jpg
    GpWjP4k.jpg
    05LAxsq.jpg

and the rest has come much easier

WvgmcQ3.jpg
    8fD8uDJ.jpg
    JETJXfS.jpg
    r3uqOu3.jpg

The Campaign space graphics are as you said very awesome!
    Flying through the Death Star debris the first time I died several times because I was spending more time enjoying the graphics than playing LoL ...

SA is fun, the graphics are top notch, but I do hope to see some new maps soon. I love the mode...
  • Billkwando
    1976 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Plus, as unfun as it is to be on the receiving end of it, don't forget the "wars" in Star Wars. Planes do strafe ground troops in war, and I doubt they are particularly stoked about it. ;) :p
    ZI7BNkU.gif
    ^Maximum the Hormone - Alien^
    (Sorta like an insane Japanese SOAD, but w/ 3 vocalists and slap bass)

Gamertag: Billkwando PSN: Billkwando YouTube: Billkwando
    Find me in HvV, pushing people off of stuff and watching them fall, like a cat.
  • grimmace2 wrote: »

I respect your opinion, but for me I do just fine without em. Like I said, because my aircraft cards are at basic level, those minuscule X% increases are not noticeable enough for me to care about them. I'm fine playing without them because I can do just as well flying a stock ship with no cards. I'm used to firing in bursts anyway.
    I was enough of a sucker to buy Premium for BF3 and enjoyed the heck out of that game for many years only stopping playing it until this SWBF2 was released.

A friend of mine eventually convinced me to buy premium for Battlefield 1... if it wasn't for that £30 being wasted, I'd have sold the game ages ago because I hate it with a passion. There's just something about the aiming that I can't get the hang of. BF4 I was brilliant - even having my sensitivity up quite a bit... but BF1 just feels so horrible... and its aim assist can go burn in a pit.
    Billkwando wrote: »
    However, one of the things I love about this game is that folks with no cards can and do get kills. My point was that I doubt someone could regularly get 45-60 kills per match with no cards, so it would be a way to "self nerf" and challenge yourself.

Unless I get spammed with angry hero ships, yes it's pretty easy. I don't mean to sound like a cocky tryhard here, but it isn't that hard to play without cards. An all purple fighter is still incapable of out turning a decent interceptor pilot and most interceptors with a purple turn rate card can't aim well because of it so they're easy to lead to allies or trick into crashing.
  • I only just noticed Rey & Chewbacca's Falcon is the only hero ship to have no milestones. Was it not added on release or has it confirmed if milestones will be added for it everntually?

I was enough of a sucker to buy Premium for BF3 and enjoyed the heck out of that game for many years only stopping playing it until this SWBF2 was released.

A friend of mine eventually convinced me to buy premium for Battlefield 1... if it wasn't for that £30 being wasted, I'd have sold the game ages ago because I hate it with a passion. There's just something about the aiming that I can't get the hang of. BF4 I was brilliant - even having my sensitivity up quite a bit... but BF1 just feels so horrible... and its aim assist can go burn in a pit.

I couldn't stand BF4 nor BF1. BF3 was the last great Battlefield for me. I played it for over 3000 hrs in 7 years.

• Seronax
    548 posts Member
    I agree to increase the spaceships speed but not with 50%, with 25% is enough IMO. If someone wanna have even faster ship i would recommend to update the current speed starcard from 2-4-6-12% speed to 6-12-18-24% cuz currently that speed card is worthless.

Darth Maul's Scimitar needs some love, mainy just HP.
    Its a medium size ship, not so fast nor strong. It has good Burst but the primary weapons will overheat too fast while its other ability is to"Vanish"but even that time its pretty ez to see it. Increasing its current 3k HP to 5k HP would be fair IMO, since Kylo has even more HP with smaller, and more mobile ship.

3b81ofd486mu.jpg

• duvelsuper
    1205 posts Member
    Seronax wrote: »
    I agree to increase the spaceships speed but not with 50%, with 25% is enough IMO. If someone wanna have even faster ship i would recommend to update the current speed starcard from 2-4-6-12% speed to 6-12-18-24% cuz currently that speed card is worthless.

Its a medium size ship, not so fast nor strong. It has good Burst but the primary weapons will overheat too fast while its other ability is to"Vanish"but even that time its pretty ez to see it. Increasing its current 3k HP to 5k HP would be fair IMO, since Kylo has even more HP with smaller, and more mobile ship.

Maul is more of an interceptor class starship like yoda. Fast and maneuverable with strong attack but weak health.
  • Phyrebrat
    832 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Phyrebrat wrote: »
    I’m not so sure about speed increase. When you’re playing on Tatooine or SKB and you see an x wing or tie strafe a low pass, they moooove! I think it might be a case of distance perception in space.

pH

Sorry but there is no Tatooine map in Starfighter Assault. We are talking Starfighter Assault here, not th e other parts of the game (e.g. Galactica Assault) where vehicles may be used. Thanks :)

No need to apologise. :) I'm just saying, the ships in SF assault move fast, but as we're in space and our only reference points are huge things, that it may contribute to it feeling slower. When you see them in GA they book it across the map.

I must agree, though, the TIE Bomber feels exceptionally ungainly and slow against the Y.

ETA: Just been reading the comments about hero ships. It's funny because when I first started playing SFA, all I wanted was to earn enough to get a hero ship. As soon as I got good at SFA, and learnt that Hero ships get really low BPs, I stopped using them and stuck to fighters and bombers. I only ever use Hero ships to attack objectives. My go-to is Scimitar as you can keep alive for the entire match if you're canny with the cloak.

Kylo's damage is good, too, but you need to upgrade turn rate cards or die quick.

pH
    Post edited by Phyrebrat on
  • hsf_
    1905 posts Member
    I’m not so sure about speed increase. When you’re playing on Tatooine or SKB and you see an x wing or tie strafe a low pass, they moooove! I think it might be a case of distance perception in space.

pH

Sorry but there is no Tatooine map in Starfighter Assault. We are talking Starfighter Assault here, not th e other parts of the game (e.g. Galactica Assault) where vehicles may be used. Thanks :)

No need to apologise. :) I'm just saying, the ships in SF assault move fast, but as we're in space and our only reference points are huge things, that it may contribute to it feeling slower. When you see them in GA they book it across the map.

I must agree, though, the TIE Bomber feels exceptionally ungainly and slow against the Y.

ETA: Just been reading the comments about hero ships. It's funny because when I first started playing SFA, all I wanted was to earn enough to get a hero ship. As soon as I got good at SFA, and learnt that Hero ships get really low BPs, I stopped using them and stuck to fighters and bombers. I only ever use Hero ships to attack objectives. My go-to is Scimitar as you can keep alive for the entire match if you're canny with the cloak.

Kylo's damage is good, too, but you need to upgrade turn rate cards or die quick.

pH

The Falcon for Han and Chewbacca is a monster against objectives.
  • duvelsuper wrote: »

Maul is more of an interceptor class starship like yoda. Fast and maneuverable with strong attack but weak health.

Maul is "fast"? I don't think so. He's not the slowest ship out there but fast like Yoda? Not really. His cloak ability is meant to make up for his lack of speed.

I agree with you you have to use Maul for hit and run attacks. He is rarely ever good for full frontal assaults.
    51bvn954fmlp.png
  • grimmace2
    1245 posts Member
    edited March 2018

Maul is "fast"? I don't think so. He's not the slowest ship out there but fast like Yoda? Not really. His cloak ability is meant to make up for his lack of speed.

I agree with you you have to use Maul for hit and run attacks. He is rarely ever good for full frontal assaults.

Agreed. Maul is not Falcon slow, but it's a noticeable dip from an interceptor class. Probably a tad bit slower than a fighter. Regardless, I feel like I'm flying in molasses when I'm in that thing. Mainly it's perception because you get the added benefit of having a big ole' target on your back.

Need to think of Maul being like the Falcons; you need good team members getting rid of or distracting enemies to stay alive.
  • Darkaid
    9643 posts Member
    I feel like that ion turrets are a bit op in OT and PT. They slow your speed, turn rate, and disable your abilities. I think abilities should still be able to work, or the duration should be shortened. So many dead Scimitars and TIE Advanced ships because ion turrets are nearly unavoidable.
    “Until we reach the last edge, the last opening, the last star, and can go no higher.”
    Rest in peace, Carrie Fisher.

Need to think of Maul being like the Falcons; you need good team members getting rid of or distracting enemies to stay alive.

Maul’s a totally different style to everything else. Not great on defence but by far the best attack ship in the game when fully upgraded (massively higher damage output to everything else including solo)

On attack, stealth is used to get into a good position for attacking (so you don’t get spotted when you start hitting objectives). After doing your attack run you dodge until stealth is available if you’re spotted or kill a few fighters from range if you’re clear.

Stealth up then reposition for a run on the objective from a different position. Always stay near obstacles when decloaking.

• hsf_
    1905 posts Member
    Starting to get bored of the current map pool, would like some more please!
    Starting to get bored of the current map pool, would like some more please!

yes
    we need more maps
    by the way....why play a "paper" hero ship when i can dominate with my Y-wing (when available)?
    great balance lol
    this is why too many quit when they play as emperials
  • I think it needs better matchmaking and the ability to filter out unwanted maps. Server browsing and LAN would also be nice.

If the hud was removed I don't know how that would go.

Give the Scimitar back the ability to lock missiles while cloaked that got taken away a patch or so back.

More maps, yeah I definitely agree with that. More intricate maps, like Fondor. I imagine a huge Deathstar map in the style of Fondor is coming down the road.

How do you feel about a Heros VS Villains style Starfighter Assault mode? I would enjoy hearing your comments in this thread. https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/102217/heros-vs-villains-but-with-starfighter-assault#latest
  • hsf_
    1905 posts Member
    SrawDawg wrote: »
    I think it needs better matchmaking and the ability to filter out unwanted maps. Server browsing and LAN would also be nice.

Give the Scimitar back the ability to lock missiles while cloaked that got taken away a patch or so back.

More maps, yeah I definitely agree with that. More intricate maps, like Fondor. I imagine a huge Deathstar map in the style of Fondor is coming down the road.

How do you feel about a Heros VS Villains style Starfighter Assault mode? I would enjoy hearing your comments in this thread. https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/102217/heros-vs-villains-but-with-starfighter-assault#latest

You would think so right? They've practically got the basics for it in place with the Ryloth map. Although, I could see a genuine problem with the Deathstar map, and that would be it's size. It's the size of a planet and it would be very difficult to make. Perhaps they could stage the fight deep inside the Deathstar? Give you some narrow corridors that you need to fly through on your side in order to get to objectives and things like that.
    SrawDawg wrote: »
    I think it needs better matchmaking and the ability to filter out unwanted maps. Server browsing and LAN would also be nice.

You would think so right? They've practically got the basics for it in place with the Ryloth map. Although, I could see a genuine problem with the Deathstar map, and that would be it's size. It's the size of a planet and it would be very difficult to make. Perhaps they could stage the fight deep inside the Deathstar? Give you some narrow corridors that you need to fly through on your side in order to get to objectives and things like that.

Agreed, we need some new maps.

I'd like to see a battle with a Death Star II under construction map (like the DS II seen before the Command Sector North GA mode). This could allow for some open space combat as well as combat in and around the massive incomplete structure portion (large girders/beams/panels/cables/construction ships to avoid) of the DS II.
    Empire Objectives: X-wing escorts/Alliance troop transports (U-wings?)/Rebel Blockade Runners
    Alliance Objectives: TIE Interceptor waves/Turbo Laser turret emplacements/Generators

We had the DS in SWBF I so I could see them doing something with the DS II in SWBF II. I'd love to hear some "that's no moon...it's a space station." chatter.

A good atmospheric battle would be Cloud City on Bespin where you actually fly around the buildings of the city. Again this was done in SWBF I but it was done by the gas generators and not close to the actual city. Place a restriction of the flight ceiling and good to go. Besides who doesn't miss flying the cloudwn car?
    Objectives: Clear the skies. Team with the most kills wins. Our SFA version of blast.
    #StarWars-y
  • Bumping.
    #StarWars-y
  • Rook008
    845 posts Member
    I like it.
    Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
    How does this sound for a new map?
    Coruscant Space map: Republic(attackers) vs CIS(defenders). Destroy the Invisible Hand Dreadnaught.
    Republic objectives: Phase 1 destroy shield generators, phase 2, destroy turbo laser defense system, phase 3 escort transport ships to the hanger bays for boarding, phase 4 destroy remaining starfighters in time limit.
    New Villain ships: Soulless One(Grievous), Solar Sailor(Dooku).
    New Hero ships: Delta-7B Aethersprite-class(Anakin), Eta-2 Actis-class interceptor(Obi-Wan Kenobi).
    Layout - Lots of open space area's and some area's with debris from destroyed frigates/capital ships and star bases, plus plenty of active frigates and capital ships battling it out with each other.
    Something like this.
    129.1.png

I like everything but the Solar Sailer because it doesn’t have weapons, it’s technically a yacht
  • hsf_
    1905 posts Member
    hsf_ wrote: »
    Coruscant Space map: Republic(attackers) vs CIS(defenders). Destroy the Invisible Hand Dreadnaught.
    Republic objectives: Phase 1 destroy shield generators, phase 2, destroy turbo laser defense system, phase 3 escort transport ships to the hanger bays for boarding, phase 4 destroy remaining starfighters in time limit.
    New Hero ships: Delta-7B Aethersprite-class(Anakin), Eta-2 Actis-class interceptor(Obi-Wan Kenobi).
    Layout - Lots of open space area's and some area's with debris from destroyed frigates/capital ships and star bases, plus plenty of active frigates and capital ships battling it out with each other.
    Something like this.
    129.1.png

I like everything but the Solar Sailer because it doesn’t have weapons, it’s technically a yacht

This is true, I only picked it because it's his personal ship.
    Something like this.
    129.1.png

Spinning up the engines on my Y-wing now.

Great choices for the heroes and villains.

Anyone catch this from the progression update?

Q.) Will I still use Credits to unlock Heroes and Hero Starfighters?
    A.) With our Progression Update, we will be unlocking all currently available heroes and Hero ships for all Players. When new heroes and Hero ships are introduced to the game they will be unlocked with Credits.

Which heroes and which ships will we see? Let the speculation begin!
    #StarWars-y
  • hsf_
    1905 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Something like this.
    129.1.png

Spinning up the engines on my Y-wing now.

Great choices for the heroes and villains.

Anyone catch this from the progression update?

Q.) Will I still use Credits to unlock Heroes and Hero Starfighters?
    A.) With our Progression Update, we will be unlocking all currently available heroes and Hero ships for all Players. When new heroes and Hero ships are introduced to the game they will be unlocked with Credits.

Which heroes and which ships will we see? Let the speculation begin!

Hmm, should they not refund the players that purchased the heroes initially then? It was about 50,000 credits for all of the heroes including starfighters, right? Or have I just misread it and they're already doing it?
    Something like this.
    129.1.png

Could have Ventresses blade ship thingy
  • hsf_
    1905 posts Member
    Something like this.
    129.1.png

Could have Ventresses blade ship thingy

Could do actually. I would also like to mention that I went for the Aethersprite-Class over the Actis-Class for Anakin, just for variaty. I know they both used Actis-Class in the actual battle over Coruscant.
  • [/quote]Could do actually. I would also like to mention that I went for the Aethersprite-Class over the Actis-Class for Anakin, just for variaty. I know they both used Actis-Class in the actual battle over Coruscant.[/quote]

There is a Aethersprite-Class Light Interceptor along with Slave-1 on Kamino shown in one of the achievement screens. I can't remember what the achievement was but it makes me think the Aethersprite will be available in the future. The Actis Class Jedi Interceptor is my favorite starfighter from SW so I welcome variations of it. Vader's black Sith starfighter would be my first choice.

[/quote]Hmm, should they not refund the players that purchased the heroes initially then? It was about 50,000 credits for all of the heroes including starfighters, right? Or have I just misread it and they're already doing it? [/quote]

I don't think you misread it. It is what it is at this point so I just look forward to the new items. Maybe we'll get a bonus score weekend or a crate but probably not.
    #StarWars-y
    I'd just like to point out, this thread wasn't made for us to argue over who's ideas are best, it's to get a gauge of what the majority of the community want to see changed/added/reworked in Starfighter Assault.

I'd like to add my own voice to those here who do not want to see drastic changes made to Starfighter Assault. I'm dead set against removing the grey lead indicator. That's non negotiable for me. I think the game mechanic of SA is far superior to BFI's Fighter Squadron. If people are getting killed more than than is to their liking because of the grey circle perhaps one solution might be to take more drastic evasive measures, or just accept that no matter how good you are you will wind up, despite your best efforts, getting killed sometimes. Sometimes it's someone's lucky shot, sometimes it's skill.

I'm not much of a fan of the idea of removing revenge markers for reasons Billkwando covered pretty thoroughly, so I won't repeat what they've already posted.

Having said that, I might be open to a reasonable increase in the speed of the craft featured in SA... But if it's taken too far (I think someone suggested 50%) I think it will really alter gameplay in a major way... it would be like a new mode. And the other suggestion that I agree about is that torpedoes really ought to be upgraded in regard to their ability to track targets. In my personal experience, I can shake most torpedoes (maybe 7 out of 10) but I really have to put some effort in... I'm doing corkscrew maneuvers followed by 180 degree turns, which usually throws them off - but when I'm the one doing the firing I notice people can shake my missiles with just a couple of nudges on their right stick.

I apologize I can't take the time to address all the suggestions in this thread, but I was compelled to point out where I agree and disagree most.
    Give me back my Jetpack Cargo!! Pleeeeeaaaaaassssseeeeee!!!!
  • Skins for starfighters? Yes please.
    #StarWars-y
    So for those of you who enjoy Starfighter Assault, do you feel it needs any changes?

I personally have a couple of gripes, but I find this game mode to be fairly well balanced, especially when comparing it to Galactic Assault. As I said, I do have a couple of gripes and I think I'll start by mentioning the "looping" that goes on. It can be endless at times and it's often whoever breaks off first, dies first. I have a suggestion to fix this somewhat, but I'll talk about that at the end.

Hero ships - I find myself getting hounded as soon as I pick a hero ship. Especially an easily recognisable one such as the Millennium Falcon or Darth Maul's Scimitar. I find my best chance for survival as a hero is to pick one that isn't easily recognisable, such as Iden's TIE fighter or Luke Skywalkers/Poe Damerons X-Wing. Again, I will go through my suggestion at the end.

There is a lack of maps - I think there are only 5 Starfighter Assault maps? I understand that there must be some variation with the objectives, it must also be difficult to keep coming up with unique objectives but Galactic Assault has a few similar objectives on different maps(Naboo/Hoth for example). Perhaps create Starfighter Assault maps for each Galactic Assault map available and add a new game mode which incorporates both modes(This was on the original Battlefront 2 so maybe copyright issues?)

More ship classes - Possible enforcer class ships which require 1000battle points instead of 2k/3k like the heroes? You know, similar to enforcer units in Galactic Assault like the Wookie/Death trooper. You could always use the N-1 Starfighter from Naboo as the rebel enforcer class for example(I've no intention of discussing whether that would be canon or not, nor do I care). Maybe even use "recovered" ships from previous era's or even a variation of the LAAT.

This next suggestion is the one I said I'd talk about at the end, it will probably divide a lot of you, but I feel would resolve a lot of gameplay issue's. I personally wouldn't be against removing as much of the HUD as possible for Starfighter Assault. Things like the revenge markers, missile lock-on against you(just use the beeping sound), and the one what will probably get enormous no votes - remove the circle that shows you where to aim. I'm doing corkscrews, backflips, 90 degree turns and people are tracking those movements like an aimbot, I am doing the same to others too, it's way too easy to aim(in my opinion of course!)

I would like to go on record and state that Starfighter Assault is probably my favourite game mode. I also feel it's the one mode that needs the least amount of work done to it, it feels more polished and refined. Would like it added to Arcade too! ^_^

Nah. I say keep the circle and missile tracker. If you want that gone turn off you’re HUD.
  • Would We Get To See The Ghost In Battlefront II In the Future? If There Is Any Rebels DLC.
  • I thought this would be of interest for my fellow pilots. In case anyone missed it, this is from the Q & A with Dennis talking about SFA and customization:

Q: With skins and character customization now being a large part of the progression options, will this feature roll over to Starfighter Assault? Starfighter skins and customization etc?
    A: Absolutely, but it will probably take a little longer.
    Q: Will there be customization for droids, vehicles and reinforcements? I’d love to fly a blue squadron X-Wing
    A: Not for this update, but obviously we'd love to see it in the future if it works out well.

I'm not well versed on the squadrons, colors and symbols but here are some starfighter skins I'd like to have:
    Elite TIE Interceptor
    Emperor's Royal Guard TIE/IN
    Razor Squadron ARC-170
    Bullseye Squadron ARC-170

Not well versed as many members as to what are the available squadrons, elite units, colors and markings so feel free to let me know what is out there in the SW galaxy that you'd like as a starfighter skin.

#StarWars-y
  • I'm going to want plain skins for the hero ships, to make them less noticeable and blend in a bit better, lol.
    129.1.png

My profile pic!
    purist284 wrote: »
    I'm dead set against removing the grey lead indicator. That's non negotiable for me. I think the game mechanic of SA is far superior to BFI's Fighter Squadron. If people are getting killed more than than is to their liking because of the grey circle perhaps one solution might be to take more drastic evasive measures, or just accept that no matter how good you are you will wind up, despite your best efforts, getting killed sometimes. Sometimes it's someone's lucky shot, sometimes it's skill.

I'm not much of a fan of the idea of removing revenge markers for reasons Billkwando covered pretty thoroughly, so I won't repeat what they've already posted.

For me, I'd be less inclined towards removing the lead indicator if it was just that: an indicator. At the moment it's a crutch with a crutch, that aim assist that goes with it is too much. But I'll agree that this game is miles better than 2015's air combat - anybody remember the glitch where every shot that hit a turning ship did no damage?

As for the revenge marker... wasn't the argument about the fact that it offers people the chance to get the increased BP? Because most shooters offer a revenge reward, but you find the guy yourself with no help. I couldn't really care about the revenge marker - there's a lot I'd rather address before that - but that justification doesn't really work.

But as usual, that's just how I feel, so feel free to disagree.
  • jonci
    1198 posts Member
    GodKC wrote: »
    Silencer wrote: »
    • Remove Tallissan Lintra, I mean, why is she in the game at all? Just because she was mentioned (!) and appeared for 10 seconds in Star Wars 8?! Or this gender issue, because a woman MUST be mentioned regardless how unknown she is in the SW universe? Instead, add Wedge Antilles or at least Biggs Darklighter.
    • Increas BP costs for hero ships, but make fullfilling objectives more worthwile
    • add the gunboat (Alpha-class Xg-1 Star Wing)

I spent 5,000 credits on her, leave her alone.

So did a lot of us and now they are free, well at least i get a sense of pride when i use the hero ships because i know i had to grind to pay.
  • sana6safeguard
    1 posts Member
    edited March 2018

The looping is my absolute biggest peeve, bar none, in at least SFA or even this entire game. Arguably, it's ruining SFA and you're probably gonna see how this ***** me off to no end.

imo, it takes little to no skill, just the patience to basically troll others into oblivion, and yet it still seems to be the easiest and most consistent way to either kill an SFA player of even a high skill level, distract them from actually playing and enjoying SFA, or getting them to ragequit one way or another.

Myself, I absolutely hate giving these **** the satisfaction of a kill and tend to manually respawn whenever I can just to deny the kill and hopefully at least some of the associated battle points too. Unfortunately, I realize that even spiting these kinds of players from the kill this way still benefits their team in the long run. Whether on offense or defense, manually respawning will give the opposing team one less opponent for at least a little while, and manually respawning while on offense seems to still deprive your team of a ticket, same as actually getting killed.

This really gets compounded when you're being swarmed with one or even more enemy pilots all using the same godforsaken tactic.

There's also the fact that I probably have several years worth of experience playing air/space combat games, Star Wars or otherwise, and I've never felt this aggravated until I started getting regularly trolled or killed by this tactic. And I've been mainly playing SFA in BF2 since maybe a week after launch and even in the beta, so I'd like to think that I have a good amount of skill and experience in this mode.

It should not be this easy for these "loopers" to so easily troll or even kill people of my skill level or anyone, really.

Any of you **** who do this looping tactic need to leave SFA or BF2 or multiplayer games in general or have a power surge go through your gaming console and irreparably fry it. You know it's a cheesy *** tactic, you know it's a cheap, shameful thing to do and you should feel ashamed of it. Learn to actually fly, learn some sportsmanship at least or ***** OUT OF THIS GAME
    _____

unfortunately, I'm not sure how this could be fixed. One of the really galling things about the looping is that objectively, it kinda is a "legitimate" tactic. I'm not sure it even counts as an exploit of sorts since it's just using the game's basic flight mechanics at the end of the day.

I don't know if this is even a good idea, but the only possible "fix" that immediately comes to mind is a mechanic I saw in Ace Combat: Assault Horizon (as flawed as people often said the air combat was in that game). But that Ace Combat game had a built in mechanic where you could press a button to pull an evasive maneuver if pursuing enemies got too close behind you. That maneuver would immediately make the pursuer overshoot your plane giving you a chance to turn the tables.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that players of that Ace Combat entry often criticized that mechanic (among others related to it). iirc, it was often said that just making it a button press made it too easy to turn the tables on anyone of any skill level and that it, among other gameplay features unique to that entry, really diluted the combat mechanics at the heart of the Ace Combat series.

But I'm practically sick and tired of starfighter players for seemingly getting easy rewards for little to no skill, work, and tactics. I'm almost desperate for a solution of some kind, if only to spite these cowards.
    Post edited by EA_David on
  • @sana6safeguard the issue you have there is that this game is much more casual and accessible for people than other air combat games - or even games in general. Criterion, as much as I like how the starfighters handle compared to that horrible mistake from 2015, still made the vehicle mechanics to suit this casual sort of game that pretty much anyone can pick up and play without any serious learning curve.

Take a look at Battlefield's flight system for example - when I briefly played BF3 I could not fly jets even remotely acceptable, and it took me a few months of playing GTA and BF4 to finally get my head around the controls and fly jets decently. Now, I'd be brave enough to say I'm a pretty damn good pilot, with the only reason for not playing sims like War Thunder being that console has very few and WT on PS4 is the worst optimised game I've seen so far...
    The learning curve for this game in comparison is almost flat - simple controls (although I'm glad for that since I don't feel like sim-style controls would suit Star Wars), basic mechanics, assists and HUD elements all around. The looping is an unavoidable strategy, hell, I've had similar fights on BF4/1 and even GTA because both parties refuse to back down and the loop in most cases is the only way to stop the enemy from getting behind you. I wish someone paid me every time I've had to ditch my jet because I got bored of the turning fight.

But the casual-ness of this game is where the division in this topic is. There are those who like the accessibility of the game and the assists that go with it, while others would have preferred a more... what's the word... not hardcore, kinda in between that and casual... less assists, more skill based etc... Ack! Anyway, I hope you know what I'm trying to get at. EA wanted a game that's easily accessible, and unfortunately that means that experience in air combat doesn't really benefit you because there's not much it can do for you and there's gonna be ways that even the lower skill levels can get you easily enough.

Each to their own. Perhaps one day there will be a more realistic/hardcore/sim Star Wars game that's preferable... although with the fact that EA holds the exclusive rights and the way the industry seems to be going with wanting to hold gamers' hands through everything, I would doubt it.

Never let go of those old games... no point in selling gems for dirt.