criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

The Star Wars: Rebels series finale was such a disappointment...

Prev13
To summarize, I was hoping for an epic final battle between the Rebel Alliance fleet and Thrawn's forces over Lothal... instead, Ezra defeats Thrawn all by himself with the help of his animal friends- the wolves and the space whales- the latter of which comes completely out of nowhere and just wipes out the Imperial fleet, and the rest of the Imperial forces they trick into evacuating, shoot them into space, and then blow them up!

It was just so unrealistic, and stupid, and childish, and badly-written... I am at a loss for words. Star Wars: Rebels has never been 100%, it's had it's ups and downs, but it certainly did not end on a high note.

The only good thing that came out of this finale is that we have confirmation that Ahsoka is alive after Return of the Jedi.

But they made an embarrassment out of Thrawn, and ended the series on a cliffhanger. It sucks, because I felt that Star Wars: Rebels had a lot of potential, but it never quite reached that potential.

I'm hoping that Dave Filoni eventually makes up for this animated atrocity with a new series, maybe something based on the original Thrawn Trilogy of books (Heir to the Empire/Dark Force Rising/The Last Command) with Luke, Han, Leia, and Mara Jade as the main protagonists and the New Republic going up against Thrawn's Imperial Remnants in an epic, galaxy-spanning conflict of equal proportions to The Clone Wars, and hopefully with the same level of maturity; Star Wars: Rebels was more often than not too junior for my liking.

Original Trilogy & Sequel Trilogy for Instant Action in Battlefront II!

#soloplayersmatter #singleplayersmatter #offlinegamersmatter

Replies

• I was also rather disappointed with this. After seeing the trailers all those months ago I got extremely excited for the finale. Am I the only one who hates the idea behind the wolves and space wales that use their... whatever they are to go into hyperspace?

Oh well. It would be nice if the next show is more like The Clone Wars but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I am tired of Star Wars letting me down.
    Failed to connect to EA Online.
  • Vespervin wrote: »
    I was also rather disappointed with this. After seeing the trailers all those months ago I got extremely excited for the finale. Am I the only one who hates the idea behind the wolves and space wales that use their... whatever they are to go into hyperspace?

Oh well. It would be nice if the next show is more like The Clone Wars but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I am tired of Star Wars letting me down.

Finally someone gets. I've had reservations about this season ever since I saw the wolves in the trailer; the whole idea of Ezra's animal friends never sat right with me. But the way they shoehorned the whales into the series finale was just... ugh.

Even more cringe-worthy is the number of people on Reddit and YouTube praising the finale, failing to recognize just how bad the writing was.

• Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    I wasn’t disappointed. The series finale was pretty terrible (for a series finale) and it was definitely incredibly childish but that’s what I expected. Can’t be disappointed if you have incredibly low expectations. Lol
  • fldpgqqesits.jpg
    The darkest timeline
    Ponds main

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png
  • fldpgqqesits.jpg
    The darkest timeline

This is a shot from sometime after Endor, 5-6 years later. Looking at the kid, the timeline seems fine
    Top favorite heroes and villains missing:
    Ahsoka, Rex, Padme, Cody, Mace
    Bane, Thrawn, Ventress, Jango, Savage
    0np8u7zs8tne.gif
  • What’s with Sabine’s hair at the end? Looks terrible.

Will Sabine and Ahsoka star in the new cartoon, comic, or whatever to find Ezra?
  • OOM19
    2833 posts Member
    There isn't going to be one

The next series will be called Star Wars: Resistance

And involve Ashoka and Sabine searching for Ezra
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

Suppor The Latest OOM-9 Thread
    [url="https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/121855/grievous-vs-oom-9/p1/p1[/url]

jexdw69dwod3.png

OUT AM I?!
    I live again
    I am ROMG4 or is ROMG4 me? If I am ROMG4 who am I? If ROMG4 is me who is he what is he? If I am him who or what am I?

If this is conscious does that mean I know I am ROMG4 or not, is ROMG4 me? or Is it not

Gone forgotten, out of board and into the pan of ghost fire and diatrabe of sadness no one AVENGED ME how could this be. 2 years I exist I help, I talk, I contribute, I speak, no one helped me no aide, no one all alone in the dark of the night where dark things lurk in the more of subconscious thought and that which lurks bellow and beyond the veil of madness and the unknown

Space and Asteroids ROMG4

• Even more cringe-worthy is the number of people on Reddit and YouTube praising the finale, failing to recognize just how bad the writing was.

That's because it's your opinion... your opinion is not considered fact *gasp*.
    Valid Token Confirmed.

fyq20437essy.png
  • OOM19
    2833 posts Member

Even more cringe-worthy is the number of people on Reddit and YouTube praising the finale, failing to recognize just how bad the writing was.

Objective quality

You can't hide behind your opinion
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

Suppor The Latest OOM-9 Thread
    [url="https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/121855/grievous-vs-oom-9/p1/p1[/url]

jexdw69dwod3.png

OUT AM I?!
    I live again
    I am ROMG4 or is ROMG4 me? If I am ROMG4 who am I? If ROMG4 is me who is he what is he? If I am him who or what am I?

If this is conscious does that mean I know I am ROMG4 or not, is ROMG4 me? or Is it not

Gone forgotten, out of board and into the pan of ghost fire and diatrabe of sadness no one AVENGED ME how could this be. 2 years I exist I help, I talk, I contribute, I speak, no one helped me no aide, no one all alone in the dark of the night where dark things lurk in the more of subconscious thought and that which lurks bellow and beyond the veil of madness and the unknown

Space and Asteroids ROMG4
  • OOM19 wrote: »

Objective quality

The Last Jedi has a critic score of 90% on RT.

Neither can you.
  • bfloo
    16190 posts Member
    fldpgqqesits.jpg
    The darkest timeline

So whose kid did Hera steal?

If it Was Hera and Kana cw established their kid would have a Twi Lek appearance.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Why was the Emperor trying to have Ezra go to his parents?
  • OOM19 wrote: »

Objective quality

It doesn't matter what the opinion is, I just don't care for people who treat their opinion as the only viable possible fact. One can freely say they don't like something or can't understand why someone likes something and that's perfectly ok, but acting like others are inferior, wrong or stupid compared to what they think isn't.
    Valid Token Confirmed.

fyq20437essy.png
  • bfloo wrote: »
    fldpgqqesits.jpg
    The darkest timeline

If it Was Hera and Kana cw established their kid would have a Twi Lek appearance.

It's a bit weird to me too. I'd assume she would have the dominant gene but I'm sure either way we are to assume Kanan is the father. I'm betting they had a hard time deciding on how to make him look.
    Valid Token Confirmed.

fyq20437essy.png
  • bfloo
    16190 posts Member
    Vespervin wrote: »
    Why was the Emperor trying to have Ezra go to his parents?

To open the door to the temple.

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo
    16190 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »
    fldpgqqesits.jpg
    The darkest timeline

It's a bit weird to me too. I'd assume she would have the dominant gene but I'm sure either way we are to assume Kanan is the father. I'm betting they had a hard time deciding on how to make him look.

CW established it when they found the clone deserter who had kids with the Twi Lek.

h846398gb27k.png

• The only good thing that came out of this finale is that we have confirmation that Ahsoka is alive after Return of the Jedi.

That's a good thing?
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....
  • bfloo
    16190 posts Member
    The only good thing that came out of this finale is that we have confirmation that Ahsoka is alive after Return of the Jedi.

That's a good thing?

She's getting to be worse than Jason, she just wont stay dead.

h846398gb27k.png

• The only good thing that came out of this finale is that we have confirmation that Ahsoka is alive after Return of the Jedi.

That's a good thing?

Doesn't 2 extra Jedi around during the OT excite you?

Aren't you glad that Yoda's words in ROTJ are now meaningless
    Ponds main

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png
  • Raices
    1448 posts Member

That's a good thing?

I guess yoda forgot about Ezra
    fldpgqqesits.jpg
    The darkest timeline

CW established it when they found the clone deserter who had kids with the Twi Lek.

Ah, that's right, I remember that episode now. I didn't full understand the other guys sentence when he said "cw".
    Valid Token Confirmed.

fyq20437essy.png

That's a good thing?

Stay dead? She was never dead to begin with.
    Valid Token Confirmed.

fyq20437essy.png
  • bfloo
    16190 posts Member

That's a good thing?

Stay dead? She was never dead to begin with.

She died on Mortis, the daughter sacrificed herself to bring her back to life.

Vader killed her in the Sith Temple, and Ezra pulled her through the mirror.

h846398gb27k.png

• Mortis, yes. But she never died in the Sith Temple in Rebels. Back when that episode aired she was seen walking out in the end. We only found out now that Ezra had a hand in her escape of the collapse. While it looks like Vader might have had her, he was also apparently falling himself from the strike to the floor by Ahsoka so we can't guarantee that was it. She may have just fell in the same hole he did and they may have continued their fight (or who knows what). Ezra didn't alter time, it technically "already" happened. Then of course Ahsoka returned to that time after what happened in A World Between Worlds.
    Valid Token Confirmed.

fyq20437essy.png
  • To summarize, I was hoping for an epic final battle between the Rebel Alliance fleet and Thrawn's forces over Lothal... instead, Ezra defeats Thrawn all by himself with the help of his animal friends- the wolves and the space whales- the latter of which comes completely out of nowhere and just wipes out the Imperial fleet, and the rest of the Imperial forces they trick into evacuating, shoot them into space, and then blow them up!

It was just so unrealistic, and ****, and childish, and badly-written... I am at a loss for words. Star Wars: Rebels has never been 100%, it's had it's ups and downs, but it certainly did not end on a high note.

But they made an embarrassment out of Thrawn, and ended the series on a cliffhanger. It sucks, because I felt that Star Wars: Rebels had a lot of potential, but it never quite reached that potential.

I'm hoping that Dave Filoni eventually makes up for this animated atrocity with a new series, maybe something based on the original Thrawn Trilogy of books (Heir to the Empire/Dark Force Rising/The Last Command) with Luke, Han, Leia, and Mara Jade as the main protagonists and the New Republic going up against Thrawn's Imperial Remnants in an epic, galaxy-spanning conflict of equal proportions to The Clone Wars, and hopefully with the same level of maturity; Star Wars: Rebels was more often than not too junior for my liking.

That sounded like a horrible finale. Nowhere near the CW standards.
  • To summarize, I was hoping for an epic final battle between the Rebel Alliance fleet and Thrawn's forces over Lothal... instead, Ezra defeats Thrawn all by himself with the help of his animal friends- the wolves and the space whales- the latter of which comes completely out of nowhere and just wipes out the Imperial fleet, and the rest of the Imperial forces they trick into evacuating, shoot them into space, and then blow them up!

It was just so unrealistic, and ****, and childish, and badly-written... I am at a loss for words. Star Wars: Rebels has never been 100%, it's had it's ups and downs, but it certainly did not end on a high note.

Yeah, I've been watching Clone Wars clips on YouTube, and I'm beginning to understand why people say it's better than Rebels. This finale is truly an embarrassment to Star Wars, and I hope that if there is another animated series, Filoni can bring it up to or even surpass the standards of The Clone Wars... otherwise, he might as well not even try. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how this atrocity in writing and the Clone Wars could've come from the same person.

• Trooper8059
    10199 posts Member
    To summarize, I was hoping for an epic final battle between the Rebel Alliance fleet and Thrawn's forces over Lothal... instead, Ezra defeats Thrawn all by himself with the help of his animal friends- the wolves and the space whales- the latter of which comes completely out of nowhere and just wipes out the Imperial fleet, and the rest of the Imperial forces they trick into evacuating, shoot them into space, and then blow them up!

Yeah, I've been watching Clone Wars clips on YouTube, and I'm beginning to understand why people say it's better than Rebels. This finale is truly an embarrassment to Star Wars, and I hope that if there is another animated series, Filoni can bring it up to or even surpass the standards of The Clone Wars... otherwise, he might as well not even try. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how this atrocity in writing and the Clone Wars could've come from the same person.

2 things I can think of:

1. Lack of Input from Lucas. Clone Wars was very much a collaboration between Lucas and Filoni. Lucas would provide the idea, then Filoni and the rest of his team would execute it. This resulted in some real great concepts with some great execution. With Lucas out of the picture, the idea/concept department may be lacking. The animation itself may also be lacking due to the fact that Lucas is no longer providing the money himself, and Disney may be giving them far less.

2. Disney XD. Cartoon Network let Clone Wars get away with a lot. Given the fact that Disney XD in general is meant for kids, a lot of the content and ideas may have to be watered down to meet the limitations set by the network.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
    fldpgqqesits.jpg
    The darkest timeline

Ah, that's right, I remember that episode now. I didn't full understand the other guys sentence when he said "cw".

What exactly are you trying to claim CW established? That Twi Lek genetics will always be dominant? lol It's genetics. Yes it's absolutely possible for Jacen to look human and not Twi Lek.

That's a good thing?

Ahsoka and Ezra are not Jedi. Ahsoka quit the order and never returned. She wouldn't even attempt to open the temple on Lothal. Ezra was never knighted a Jedi like Kanan was.

Kylo Ren is a dark side user and a piece of work, but he's not a Sith for the same reason.

Force user does not automatically mean Jedi or Sith. So Yoda's words to Luke remain absolutely correct.
  • So what exactly was supposed to make a great written finale here? Thrawn shows up and blows all the Rebels to bits with Hera and a few escaping on the Ghost? lol And then what happens to Thrawn? He was not in the OT, so how do they explain him being around yet not involved at Endor when the Emperor clearly valued his abilities.

Seriously, I don't get the knit picking this show takes. I'm supposed to believe no Star Wars Rebels is better? Go watch hermit Luke milk some alien cows in TLJ then lol

Rebels did a whole lot more right than it did wrong. It gave us a lot of great adventures with new characters and fan favorites. It connected the dots from Revenge of the Sith to A New Hope on a lot of things. We got to see the formation of the Rebel Alliance. And it gave them an excuse to get Thrawn back into canon.

Thrawn in the EU was like Boba Fett. They had no idea how popular he would be, and so he got killed in a cheesy manner after 3 books lol. Space whales taking him to parts unknown is a far better alternative because at least now his story can continue. It won't be some Heir to the Empire rehash though because the Battle of Jakku is officially the last battle of the Galactic Civil War.

• Seriously, I don't get the knit picking this show takes.

This isn't nitpicking. Having the space whales shoehorned into the final battle like that was an extremely lazy bit of writing, there's no denying that. There was absolutely nothing leading up to it; the space whales only ever appeared in ONE filler episode way back in Season 2, and to have them show up out of nowhere and just wipe out Thrawn's fleet in seconds was incredibly random and anticlimactic.

It should've been an epic final clash between the Rebel Alliance and Thrawn's forces. They could've have General Antoc Merrick (Blue Leader) make an appearance, maybe even Admiral Raddus; the Rebels had a lot more forces than just the 24 fighters Hera was given for the first attack, and with Thrawn having left Lothal to see the Emperor, they could've seized the opportunity and won a decisive victory against the Empire, and it would better tie in to the movies, especially Rogue One.

Instead, Ezra and his space whale friends saved the day. What a sick joke.

• Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member

Seriously, I don't get the knit picking this show takes.

Yeah I wasn’t a fan of the whales either. The whales just fit the childish theme of the show. I honestly expected something like this.
  • BluDude
    286 posts Member

This isn't nitpicking. Having the space whales shoehorned into the final battle like that was an extremely lazy bit of writing, there's no denying that. There was absolutely nothing leading up to it; the space whales only ever appeared in ONE filler episode way back in Season 2, and to have them show up out of nowhere and just wipe out Thrawn's fleet in seconds was incredibly random and anticlimactic.

It should've been an epic final clash between the Rebel Alliance and Thrawn's forces. They could've have General Antoc Merrick (Blue Leader) make an appearance, maybe even Admiral Raddus; the Rebels had a lot more forces than just the 24 fighters Hera was given for the first attack, and with Thrawn having left Lothal to see the Emperor, they could've seized the opportunity and won a decisive victory against the Empire, and it would better tie in to the movies, especially Rogue One.

In the opening crawl of ANH, it says the rebellion just had their first victory against the Empire (Scarif). If the rebellion helped on Lothal, this wouldn't make sense anymore.

Also the purgill weren't lazily dropped in. They were significant to the story. Thrawn is known for being really smart and tactical. He correctly predicts almost everything, but one thing he couldn't predict was the Force (Something he mocks Ezra about in the episode) and Ezras Force connection to creatures like the purgill. For all the strategy and planning Thrawn had, it wasn't enough to beat the Force. It's a fitting end to his arc on the show. I also liked that scene where he was wrapped up in the tentacles. It's almost like he set his own trap and sprung it
  • BluDude wrote: »

In the opening crawl of ANH, it says the rebellion just had their first victory against the Empire (Scarif). If the rebellion helped on Lothal, this wouldn't make sense anymore.

Also the purgill weren't lazily dropped in. They were significant to the story. Thrawn is known for being really smart and tactical. He correctly predicts almost everything, but one thing he couldn't predict was the Force (Something he mocks Ezra about in the episode) and Ezras Force connection to creatures like the purgill. For all the strategy and planning Thrawn had, it wasn't enough to beat the Force. It's a fitting end to his arc on the show. I also liked that scene where he was wrapped up in the tentacles. It's almost like he set his own trap and sprung it

Very true. There wasn't anything conventional they could do to end this without breaking canon. Besides, Thrawn had already taken apart their first fleet attempt at Attolon. Thrawn backed by an Imperial fleet is too much for the Rebellion to handle.

That's a good point about the force. Ezra has been connecting with creatures since Season 1, so this is the type of ending that's been set up for a while. He used the creatures at that base against the Grand Inquisitor and his forces. He used some flying creatures to help him and Kanan escape the Inquisitors in Season 2. He also connected with these space whales in Season 2 to take down the Mining guild base. I rewatched the episode and the whales actually look really cool. They did a good job on the technical aspect.

Then there's Bendu in Season 3 and what he said to Thrawn. He saw Thrawn's defeat like a cold embrace. Seems on target for what happened. As Dave Filoni keeps saying, "There is no filler."
  • BluDude
    286 posts Member
    BluDude wrote: »

Very true. There wasn't anything conventional they could do to end this without breaking canon. Besides, Thrawn had already taken apart their first fleet attempt at Attolon. Thrawn backed by an Imperial fleet is too much for the Rebellion to handle.

That's a good point about the force. Ezra has been connecting with creatures since Season 1, so this is the type of ending that's been set up for a while. He used the creatures at that base against the Grand Inquisitor and his forces. He used some flying creatures to help him and Kanan escape the Inquisitors in Season 2. He also connected with these space whales in Season 2 to take down the Mining guild base. I rewatched the episode and the whales actually look really cool. They did a good job on the technical aspect.

Then there's Bendu in Season 3 and what he said to Thrawn. He saw Thrawn's defeat like a cold embrace. Seems on target for what happened. As Dave Filoni keeps saying, "There is no filler."

Oh man I forgot Bendu said that. That makes the scene even better!

Yoda also says in Return of the Jedi that Luke is the "last of the Jedi," but now we know for a fact that Ahsoka and Ezra were alive during that time period. Your point is moot.
    Also the purgill weren't lazily dropped in. They were significant to the story.

Yes, they were lazily dropped in- this is literally the first time we've seen them in 3 seasons- and there was nothing leading up their return, they appeared completely out of nowhere.

• Ahsoka_Tano
    7341 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    I haven't seen it yet. Also I am not spoilered. Just letting you know that I am now gonna watch season 4 and that I know that Ahsoka is in it ;)
    For General Ahsoka Tano!
    h3d5nuo8y0jq.png

• bfloo
    16190 posts Member
    I haven't seen it yet. Also I am not spoilered. Just letting you know that I am now gonna watch season 4 and that I know that Ahsoka is in it ;)

Don't torture yourself like that.

h846398gb27k.png

• I haven't seen it yet. Also I am not spoilered. Just letting you know that I am now gonna watch season 4 and that I know that Ahsoka is in it ;)

Just gonna give you some fair warning... Ahsoka is only in one episode, not counting her brief appearance in the finale.

Also, I would consider Season 4 to be the worst season of Star Wars: Rebels; it's where the focus of the series turns from building the Rebellion and filling the gap between Revenge of Sith and A New Hope, to this convoluted and boring plot about freeing Lothal.

• Trooper8059
    10199 posts Member
    edited March 2018

Just gonna give you some fair warning... Ahsoka is only in one episode, not counting her brief appearance in the finale.

Also, I would consider Season 4 to be the worst season of Star Wars: Rebels; it's where the focus of the series turns from building the Rebellion and filling the gap between Revenge of Sith and A New Hope, to this convoluted and boring plot about freeing Lothal.

It went from being a show about one rebel cell becoming part of a larger rebellion, to a show where it's force sensitives play a pivotal role in the safety of the Star Wars Space Time Continuum.
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • I haven't seen it yet. Also I am not spoilered. Just letting you know that I am now gonna watch season 4 and that I know that Ahsoka is in it ;)

It went from being a show about one rebel cell becoming part of a larger rebellion, to a show where it's force sensitives play a pivotal role in the safety of the Star Wars Space Time Continuum.

nmhe48uw1a2c.gif
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....
  • Trooper8059
    10199 posts Member

nmhe48uw1a2c.gif

giphy.gif
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif

Can't tell if serious... that was for like, one or two episodes, and it was really just an excuse to bring Ahsoka back to life.

• BluDude
    286 posts Member
    BluDude wrote: »

Yoda also says in Return of the Jedi that Luke is the "last of the Jedi," but now we know for a fact that Ahsoka and Ezra were alive during that time period. Your point is moot.
    Also the purgill weren't lazily dropped in. They were significant to the story.

Yes, they were lazily dropped in- this is literally the first time we've seen them in 3 seasons- and there was nothing leading up their return, they appeared completely out of nowhere.

Since Ezra is MIA (and possibly dead, we don't know for sure) Luke is the last of the Jedi as far as anyone knows. Also, have we ever actually heard Ezra identify himself as a Jedi? I don't remember him saying it in the finale which would have been the perfect place for him to say it. He may not actually be a full fledged Jedi yet. And then there's the whole certain point of view thing. And as for Ahsoka, she is not a Jedi. She has said this several times already at the end of TCW, in Rebels, and I think in her novel.

The purgill thing did come a little out of nowhere, but that's not a bad thing. It was supposed to be a surprise for storytelling purposes. And I think they were actually alluded to earlier when Wolf and Rider and the kid get in the Ghost and say they're going to use frequency 0 or whatever it was. I think that was how the Ghost crew attracted the purgill in the last episode they were in, and it was how Ezra knew how to call them.
    And I think they were actually alluded to earlier when Wolf and Rider and the kid get in the Ghost and say they're going to use frequency 0 or whatever it was. I think that was how the Ghost crew attracted the purgill in the last episode they were in, and it was how Ezra knew how to call them.

That's correct.

As for the other comments - Ezra obviously remembered what happened in the past episode they were featured. He is strong with the force when it comes to animals and beasts which they have shown time and time again over the course of the series. How is this possibly considered out of nowhere??
    Valid Token Confirmed.

fyq20437essy.png